Old 09 January 2014, 18:26   #1

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner
Insurance and licencing advice

So I finally have my Zodiac 340 Sib and a really clean 15hp outboard, I'm now looking into the necessaries to get on rivers, canals & water ways beaches etc legally ready to enjoy this new activity in the spring.
From reading on here & google I believed I need insurance and a boat licence? Then I went on the licencing website and followed this link

( http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/653.pdf )

If I read this correctly, contrary to what I thought, I actually don't need a licence?

Any advice on insurance before I stumble in and go with the first sensible quote?
Old 10 January 2014, 01:53   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Think for canals the max engine size for an outboard is 4 hp if its a day launcher & 10 hp for Rivers though they may have changed it when it went from British waterways to the C & R trust , Even though you may be exempt from the Boat safety certificate you might need to obtain a permit or licence for the day . We put our boat on the local canal last bank holiday monday just using the oars , made a peaceful change having no noise from the engine & having the kids do some rowing ,, dont think we would have made it to Liverpool in the day though ! : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1876003516.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	89016   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1463719305.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	89018   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-63819437.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	89019   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1059459759.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	89020  
Old 10 January 2014, 17:23   #3

It is lovely on the canal with only oars, this was my first intention before buying our dinghy but I have 4 children, so storing, transporting and buying a couple of Canadian canoes or similar isn't practical, maybe in a few years when their a little older this would be possible.

Did you get far in the dinghy? I managed a 5 mile round trip in an old Avon Redcrest last summer, just me and my boy rowing raft style, hard work though but it was beautiful, we were followed by Swans for the whole trip, I'm hoping all six of us in the Zodiac will be able to row it but it's going to be hard work.

Must admit I wonder if the 15hp would clog up plodding along at canal speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1234820_566669846704343_1889748360_n.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	89031   Click image for larger version

Name:	1186719_566669633371031_661760361_n.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	89032  
Old 10 January 2014, 18:16   #4

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: pain
Make: c craft
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner, seagull, to
Hi,yes to go on the canals and rivers,namely the Avon, Severn and the Sharpness Canal for me as they are local in the inflatable I have to buy a day licence online, the boat does not qualify to have a safety certificate as its an open boat and there is no electrical system onboard and there is no built in fuel tank or cooking facilities installed but you have to have third party insurance to obtain licence, this also applies to the Thames (non tidal). I have a 15 hp outboard and have not been refused licence regarding size of motor
Old 10 January 2014, 19:03   #5

I'm getting quotes of £120, is this about right, I'm only likely to use it between 6-10 times a year as we are involved in other sport commitments.
Old 11 January 2014, 08:17   #6

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Sounds a tad high to me , I use here for mine - Boat insurance, online quote for your boat, yacht or dinghy in the UK

As a guide I used to pay £68 for a 3.38 sib with a 25 on the back and £118 for a 4.7m rib with a 50 hp.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2014, 08:27   #7

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I think you'll find it's irrelevant how often you use your craft T4bus. But like Teerat, I pay similar for my 4.8/50hp + trailer and transport
Old 11 January 2014, 12:40   #8

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
There is no national requirement for either training, license or insurance for a non commercial boat in the UK. However individual bodies of water may require any or all of the above to use them.

I would suggest that you get a minimum of 3rd party insurance and some form of training. Training courses can be great fun and you learn loads.
Old 11 January 2014, 15:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
There is no national requirement for either training, license or insurance for a non commercial boat in the UK. However individual bodies of water may require any or all of the above to use them.

I would suggest that you get a minimum of 3rd party insurance and some form of training. Training courses can be great fun and you learn loads.
I would not consider using the boat without 3rd party insurance, to be fair I would prefer a comprehensive policy but having looked at a few comparison sites it seems, surprisingly, that this will cost more than insuring my 2.5litre VW? For an occasional use leisure craft it would not be viable so third party it will be. I have now found a couple for under £70 which will basically offer little more than a policy number in order to get a local licence.

As for training, this is a given, there are courses local to me in Bristol so I'll book myself and my eldest son in before we venture out. At this stage I'm purely gathering everything together ready for the spring/summer, knowledge, kit etc so we don't rush around trying to prepare last minute.
Old 11 January 2014, 15:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekus View Post
I think you'll find it's irrelevant how often you use your craft T4bus. But like Teerat, I pay similar for my 4.8/50hp + trailer and transport
I would not expect there to be a limited use policy, just balancing the cost against benefit. I'll ring some insurers in the week as online the quotes don't compare with those mentioned.
Old 11 January 2014, 16:27   #11

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4bus View Post
I would not expect there to be a limited use policy, just balancing the cost against benefit. I'll ring some insurers in the week as online the quotes don't compare with those mentioned.
You definately need to speak directly with people like Porthcawl or Nav & General rather than rely on the online stuff.

Like you, I have a 2.5 (chipped!) T4 and I have a 5m Rib with a 90hp. Fully comprehensive insurance on both with a broadly similar total value but the boat is approximately 50% the cost of the VW to insure. Ok, I'll admit I've got a few points....

You have to remember that although you may only use the boat 5-10 days a year and the VW every day(?), the outboard is highly nickable and despite the presence of anti-theft devices, the boat/trailer/engine combo could probably be driven away easily by a determined thief on the 355 days a year you're not using it? At least, in my experience, that's the way insurers seem to assess the risk!
Old 11 January 2014, 17:16   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4bus View Post
... a comprehensive policy but having looked at a few comparison sites it seems, surprisingly, that this will cost more than insuring my 2.5litre VW? For an occasional use leisure craft it would not be viable so third party it will be. I have now found a couple for under £70 which will basically offer little more than a policy number in order to get a local licence.
You should be able to get a policy for roughly £100, that will cover 3rd party, theft and damage to your own boat. Obviously where it is stored has an impact on price, as does the value of boat / outboard etc.

As for training, this is a given, there are courses local to me in Bristol so I'll book myself and my eldest son in before we venture out. At this stage I'm purely gathering everything together ready for the spring/summer, knowledge, kit etc so we don't rush around trying to prepare last minute.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
You have to remember that although you may only use the boat 5-10 days a year and the VW every day(?), the outboard is highly nickable and despite the presence of anti-theft devices, the boat/trailer/engine combo could probably be driven away easily by a determined thief on the 355 days a year you're not using it? At least, in my experience, that's the way insurers seem to assess the risk!
The two major risks for the insurer are: (i) you hit someone and mince them with the prop (or sink a bigger boat) (ii) your boat gets stolen. Obviously there are other risks like fire, or sinking etc.
Old 11 January 2014, 17:29   #13

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Good call. 👍
Old 12 January 2014, 10:16   #14

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Lots of past suggestions to look at Craftinsure . I have 3.4 with15hp fully comp with Bishop Skinner for under £60.
Old 12 January 2014, 14:16   #15

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post

the outboard is highly nickable and despite the presence of anti-theft devices, the boat/trailer/engine combo could probably be driven away easily by a determined thief on the 355 days a year you're not using it? At least, in my experience, that's the way insurers seem to assess the risk!
Agree. Boats are a driveaway target and outboards easy to remove.