Old 19 June 2018, 10:09   #1

Town: Cornwall
Length: 3m +
Inflation sequence

Hi I have a sunsport airb320 and am not sure if I’ve been inflating it properly

I fill the main port and stbd chambers till they take shape (still very soft)

Then the bow so it takes its shape (still very soft)

I then fill the port and stbd to 0.25 full pressure and then the bow

Finally the 2 floor chambers to 0.80 pressure

Is this correct or am I doing it in the wrong order , just been wondering because of the baffles in between the port/stbd and bow compartment ,
Many thanks, Kieran
Old 19 June 2018, 10:29   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sounds good. I add in an interim inflate of each of the tube chambers to about 100mbar... just a personal thing to go that extra step to looking after the baffles.

BTW: Hello and welcome to the forum.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:36   #3

Town: Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Sounds good. I add in an interim inflate of each of the tube chambers to about 100mbar... just a personal thing to go that extra step to looking after the baffles.
Thanks for the quick reply, I just spoke to somebody on the phone who has told me to start with the port and just go round in a clockwise direction and slowly take them up to pressure port - bow - stbd and told me it doesn’t matter which way the baffles go, I was under the impression that it did matter, now I’m confused haha
Old 19 June 2018, 18:44   #4

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I was led to believe the baffles are glued in with the seam on the forward side of the baffle so it was better to start at the bow and work aft. This minimised the risk of you peeling the baffle away from the tube.

I would have thought this was an obvious failure route so maybe they put a seam strengthener on the other side meaning it doesn't matter from which side you inflate it.

Are there any tube makers on here that can shed any light on it?
Old 19 June 2018, 19:13   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well if you think about it the baffles are a safety design and you have no way of knowing which tube you might puncture leaving the adj ones to full pressure. So the baffles should cope with pressure from either direction. I think its fine as long as you do a variation of the gradual inflate you mention or I do.
Old 19 June 2018, 19:50   #6

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
A little bit of air in each compartment, put the boards in.

Inflate one of the large compartments to shape but not full pressure, inflate the other to shape but not full pressure.

Top up the first to almost full pressure. Top up the other to full pressure. (The conical baffle will even out the pressure in both.

Then do the keel or floor.

However, I think we're all overthinking it.
Old 19 June 2018, 21:19   #7

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I would have thought this was an obvious failure route so maybe they put a seam strengthener on the other side meaning it doesn't matter from which side you inflate it.

Are there any tube makers on here that can shed any light on it?

Baffles can stand the same pressure from either side. Inflating "backwards" ie from rear to front should never cause a failure but some baffle designs will distort the tubes when blown the wrong way.
Old 20 June 2018, 06:32   #8

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I'm with MikeF - not worried about which first just a bit in each then some more to each then full in turn. Definitely a bit of overthinking otherwise!

Just don't do what you see on some YT videos where dipsticks with Bravo pumps stick it in in one chamber, hit the full 2.5psi, walk off and repeat in the next...
Old 20 June 2018, 07:59   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
For completeness perhaps its worth mentioning that I have had two inflatable boats which must have the baffles pointing in a certain direction. The manuals with both boats clearly indicated the sequence.

The Frib and an second hand Lodestar I had a few years ago. Both boats were fitted with pressure release valves which is why an inflation sequence should be followed.

Example the Frib has release valves on the rear chambers. The Front chambers don’t have one fitted.

The rear chamber is finally pressurized before the front chamber so the baffle is pointing forward. (still inflate all chambers in steps) In the event of the sun heat over pressurizing the boat .. the release valves operate and release pressure from the rear chambers. The Front chambers equalise pressure by moving the baffle backwards. If the front chamber was pressurised first the baffle could not move backwards so the front would not be protected.

If memory serves me right,,the Lodestar had the relief valve on the front chamber .. so it had to be inflated first so that its baffles pointed into the rear chambers.

I believe the Excel Vanguard range of inflatable’s also have a pressure relief valve in the front chamber similar to the Lodestar.. (although I may be wrong in thinking that) ..but their website advertises they do. If so..it will also matter on the sequence of inflation.

So beware if your boat is fitted with pressure release valves. it matters which way the baffle points for the release valve to protect all chambers
Old 08 October 2022, 11:17   #10

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
The rear chamber is finally pressurized before the front chamber so the baffle is pointing forward. (still inflate all chambers in steps) In the event of the sun heat over pressurizing the boat .. the release valves operate and release pressure from the rear chambers. The Front chambers equalise pressure by moving the baffle backwards. If the front chamber was pressurised first the baffle could not move backwards so the front would not be protected.
Hi,
From what you say, it's evident that you should inflate the rear chambers of a FRIB before the front chamber, but should you partially inflate them all to a certain pressure first? By saying "finally pressurized", is that what you are suggesting? If so, what should the initial, partial, pressures be?
Old 08 October 2022, 15:34   #11

Length: 10m +
Some tubes are fitted with pressure relief valves in the bulkheads - They will only operate one way hence the correct way to inflate but that said I dont why the tubes still wont reach there PSI which way you inflate .
Old 08 October 2022, 15:42   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Donny you’re right with the vanguard bow chamber has the relief valve that pumped first the others pumped to it working to the stern then all chambers go down the same when it’s hot, now it’s colder all my chambers are down. I might be wrong but I thought the baffles faced to the stern. Showing baffles below

https://www.excel-inflatables.co.uk/...D%20XHD435.pdf
Old 08 October 2022, 19:22   #13

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Jeff .. just to clarify..I was referring to the inflation sequence of the F Rib in my post which I made four years ago

I posted so others would know F Rib mention a sequence that the manual indicates to inflate the sections. It explained the reason was because the F Rib has a PRV on the rear sections only and there is no PRV’s on the front sections. If the PRV valve blows (its in the rear sections) the baffle moves back allowing pressure to drop in the front sections.

I can only presume the excel works in reverse ? What does your Excel manual say for inflation sequence ?

Also as mentioned, many moons ago, I had a Lodestar inflatable which also stated a sequence of inflation in its manual.

The Quicksilver Alu Hull inflatable I now have also states a sequence of inflation in its manual. In fact they even go a bit further than that and mark the valves with the sequence number to avoid any confusion ... in case I forget.

(Valve 1 and 3 are on the other side of the boat..photo shows valve 2 and 4)

The manual reads Sequence is valve 1 .. then 2 ..then 3 ..and last 4.

Also noted ... From the Quicksilver SIBS manual page 45

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/17...page=45#manual

IMPORTANT: All chambers should be inflated equally to avoid damage to the bulkheads that separate the chambers.
Inflate the boat in the following order:

Bow chamber

Side chambers

Floor chamber (if applicable)

I have just checked Highfield Classic series instruction manual

https://www.highfieldboats.com/wp-co...0CL-2018v2.pdf

and it too shows as below which is same as F Rib sequence.

Im no expert so only passing on info from various boat manuals ... So to those that say it doesn’t matter the sequence.. why do F Rib, Lodestar, Quicksilver and Highfield all go to the trouble of writing an inflation sequence in their manual and in Quicksilver’s case .. now print it on the valves ?

Therefore folks can take what they want from this thread.. they can either follow those who say it doesn’t matter as there is no sequence .. or follow their manual that came with the boat if it has a recommended sequence. It makes no odds to me
Old 08 October 2022, 19:42   #14

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Sorry mate just replied to your mention of the excel which you were correct put the extra info in as a comparison both my Mercury and excel inflate the same. Like you I’m not 100% on other builds. I suppose you need to know which way the baffles point of follow the manufacturers recommendation as you point out.
Anyways hope you are keeping well cheers