Old 30 August 2009, 15:43   #1

Town: nuneaton
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8, 4S
Inflation pump, stupid question from a newbie?

HI all,
Bought a honwave 3.2 airdeck a couple of weeks ago. Very pleased so far (not actually used it yet though). Anyway, it didn't come with a pressure guage, so bought a genuine Honda one. It also came with a foot pump. There are 3 inlet/outlets on the pump, 1 LP out, 1 HP out and 1 IN. My question is, after you have pumped it up on the LP outlet, when you change over to the HP outlet and start pumping, the air still come out of the LP hole?. Should there be a bung or plug to fit to the LP outlet when using the HP outlet?.
Or can anyone suggest a fairly cheap manual pump to top off the HP, don't have the cash at the mo for the Bravo pump. :O)
Thanks
Mark
Old 30 August 2009, 22:25   #2

Town: Saffron Walden
Boat name: Wissa
Engine: Outboard,Petrol,20hp
Is there no rubber flap to seal the hole?
Old 31 August 2009, 07:45   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Your pump has a largish pump chamber that outputs from the LP out, and a small pump chamber (inside the larger one) that outputs from the HP out. The theory of use is that when the pressure makes it too hard to pump air in from the LP output, you switch to the HP output, and you effectively get a better lever action (due to the smaller volume per stroke), and hence can pump to a higher pressure (albeit slowly.) The LP out still pumps, but since you're not pressurizing anything, it does not offer resistance.

Whether or not you need to use the HP out depends on the pressure your tubes require and how much you get from the LP alone.

jky

Should add that this was for a 2-stage footpump. Couldn't tell from your description if this is what you've got.
Old 31 August 2009, 08:54   #4

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: ??? Needs Naming
Make: Honwave T32i
Engine: Honda BF5/Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by navaraman View Post
HI all,
Bought a honwave 3.2 airdeck a couple of weeks ago. Very pleased so far (not actually used it yet though). Anyway, it didn't come with a pressure guage, so bought a genuine Honda one. It also came with a foot pump. There are 3 inlet/outlets on the pump, 1 LP out, 1 HP out and 1 IN. My question is, after you have pumped it up on the LP outlet, when you change over to the HP outlet and start pumping, the air still come out of the LP hole?. Should there be a bung or plug to fit to the LP outlet when using the HP outlet?.
Or can anyone suggest a fairly cheap manual pump to top off the HP, don't have the cash at the mo for the Bravo pump. :O)
Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark

jky is right, you're going to have a 2 stage pump & when you switch over to the HP port it just makes it higher pressure (up to 800mb for your airdeck) but low volume. It'll probably seem like nothing is happening as it's so easy to pump & air comes from the other port but it will be.

We used the foot pump we had with our T32 a couple of times & decided to buy a Bravo BST 12 HP pump which has proved it's worth several times already..it takes all the hard work out of inflation.

BTW we are very pleased with our Honwave so far & I'm sure you'll have great fun with yours

Lance
Old 31 August 2009, 15:01   #5

Thanks guys,
Looks like I will try one of these :- Bravo 6 Double Action Stirrup Inflation Pump,
can't afford the electric version at the mo. Also, it will be trailered most of the time, so I'm after a pump just for topping up.
Mark :o)
Old 31 August 2009, 15:52   #6

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: ??? Needs Naming
Make: Honwave T32i
Engine: Honda BF5/Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by navaraman View Post
Thanks guys,
Looks like I will try one of these :- Bravo 6 Double Action Stirrup Inflation Pump,
can't afford the electric version at the mo. Also, it will be trailered most of the time, so I'm after a pump just for topping up.
Mark :o)
That pump was my first thought but unlike you we wanted to inflate & deflate every tme & carry the boat in the car so I think for us electric was the best option.

I think the Bravo stirrup pump should be fine for your application
Old 31 August 2009, 16:40   #7

Thanks again,
Mark