Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 May 2008, 13:10   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 45
Inflate Futura

Hi, getting ready for a boat trip tommorrow (first of the year) if the weathers OK!

Just been pumping up the tubes on my Zodiac Futura with a foot pump and the pressure gauge. However it doesnt ever seem to set in the "Max" zone. When i pump it goes way above the green, then very slowly drops until its where i was 10 minutes ago (a margin below the green max zone!)

Do i need to just give this a few more hours or will it soon go pop! :-)
__________________

__________________
AndrewUkR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2008, 14:11   #2
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewUkR6 View Post
Hi, getting ready for a boat trip tommorrow (first of the year) if the weathers OK!

Just been pumping up the tubes on my Zodiac Futura with a foot pump and the pressure gauge. However it doesnt ever seem to set in the "Max" zone. When i pump it goes way above the green, then very slowly drops until its where i was 10 minutes ago (a margin below the green max zone!)

Do i need to just give this a few more hours or will it soon go pop! :-)
Are you using a pressure gauge incorporated on the pump body that has a central pushing pin on the connecting air valve hose? If so, maybe is loosing air pressure through the hose or pump body specially if the air valve is kept open by the air valve adapter, the air tends to go back to the inflator and be lost somewhere. Had some problems with this kind of inflators, no longer are used, that's why double action pumps & hand pressure gauges are employed for better/exact air fillings/readings.

Check the inflator by closing the air valve exit with finger, push with your foot to see if retains air while pushing, if not, it's leaking somewhere. If this is not the problem, check air valves & tubes by spraying soapy water to detect any air leaks on these main/critical parts.

Happy Boating
__________________

__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2008, 16:31   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 45
thanks for this. The pressure gauge attatches to the end of the hose. I did actually think to cover it with my hand and it seemed to remain steady. I tried it again on the boat and if i forced it down with my hand i got a couple of the tubes to remain steady on pressure but another couple didnt want to seem to work correctly.

Might invest in another pump and see if it gets easier! Can i easily damage the SIB by overinflating?
__________________
AndrewUkR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2008, 17:55   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
I never bother with a pressure guage - just judge it by foot or hand!!!

Most have pressure relief valve built in and will blow off before you do any daqmge - check if yours has.

I find foot pumps rubbish - the stirrup type double action hand pumps are much better - can be had for as little as a tenner if you shop around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Double-Action-Pump-07.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	35114  
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2008, 08:04   #5
Member
 
Country: Switzerland
Town: Villars
Boat name: Tally-Ho
Make: Scorpion
Length: 9m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 300xs
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewUkR6 View Post
thanks for this. The pressure gauge attatches to the end of the hose. I did actually think to cover it with my hand and it seemed to remain steady. I tried it again on the boat and if i forced it down with my hand i got a couple of the tubes to remain steady on pressure but another couple didnt want to seem to work correctly.

Might invest in another pump and see if it gets easier! Can i easily damage the SIB by overinflating?


A Zodiac Futura is very critical to correct pressure unless you want a poor handling boat.

I'm confused as to where the guage is being used? There is no hose attached to the tubes ! Do you mean the hose that is attached to the speed tubes underneath the boat?
What about the main tubes? do they give the same problem?

Steve.
__________________
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2008, 10:25   #6
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Andrew

I can come round and have a look if you like, and bring another pump too!

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2008, 10:41   #7
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I never bother with a pressure guage - just judge it by foot or hand!!!

Most have pressure relief valve built in and will blow off before you do any daqmge - check if yours has.


And while your at it, smother the tubes in armorall, then organise a betting pool to see whether the tubes blow up or simply disintegrate first!!!

The keel and speed tubes of zodiacs do not have pressure relief valves.

- Always use a pressure guage when inflating the tubes. As was mentioned earlier, proper inflation pressure is citical to a SIB's performance.

- Always verify the quality of the advice you receive on the internet before applying it.
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2008, 10:46   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
I DID say to check first!!!

I am suprised at Zodiac not fitting them - my humble Quicksilver has them as standard.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2008, 10:52   #9
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
my humble Quicksilver has them as standard.
Your Quicksilver has pressure relief valves? Mine hasn't. Can you post a picture?

Ta!
John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2008, 12:30   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Mine are combined valves - basically you just keep pumping until they vent off. I try not to pump the tubes up that hard but it doesn't do any harm.

They are seperate valves on my RIB.

And I will take photos when I get a chance.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.