Old 20 May 2008, 17:06   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Inflatables from Mailspeed Marine

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/infla...el680151.bhtml

Any comments on this model please, good/bad on either quality or price?

I am thinking about something to hang my 6hp aux off just to play with. Don't want to spend too much money but must be able to carry a couple of people and be fairly light.

Ta

Stephen

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 17:14   #2
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
They are ok actually, seen them in the store at Burnham. Have seen a few people with them too.
Old 20 May 2008, 18:14   #3

Town: Exmouth, Devon
I think you'll find they are exactly the same as a branded model. The quality is fine - although hard to choose any particular one at that price point.
Old 20 May 2008, 20:13   #4

Ta - ok next question - why would an airdeck model cost significantly more than a slatted floor model (£349 against £279 for the same one with a slatted floor) when from what I read on the other thread a slatted floor one is probably a better bet??

Also would an airdeck one have a slight V to the bottom "hull" shape while the slatted floor would be completely flat, or is that not necessarily going to be true?

The packed dimensions on the site suggest they are both the same size when folded down (important as freight to the moon is ruddy expensive!)

Old 21 May 2008, 21:38   #5
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
IMHO the air deck is way better than the slatted floor in a inflatable. any water that gets into it on the slatted one will go the the lowest point. where your feet/knees are. air deck the water gose around the edge of the inflated floor first.

as to the V on the hull this depends on the size and make as I have seen them with both so best ask the question. but I am guessing that one in the link is a flat floor as it looks just like my mates one. good wee bit of kit and not too wet and yes I have been out in it when I would rarther not have.
Old 21 May 2008, 21:42   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My Quicksilver has a wooden floor but it also has an air keel - weh it's inflated it looks almost like a cathedral hull.
Old 21 May 2008, 21:57   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
You wouldn't have an inflatable keel with a slatted floor and I suspect the airdeck boat would be the same. A lot more goes into an airdeck than a few planks of wood, explaining the extra cost of this version. Both are cheap, so I'd go for the airdeck.
Old 21 May 2008, 22:05   #8

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i have an airdeck quicksiler and while they are lighter and apparently easier to assemble than the wooden or metal floor models i am not convinced they are stiffer

however if you are sitting in them charging around they are more comfortable than a solid floor

couple of tips

dont get an inflatable thwart
try to get a boat where the fuel tank fits under the seat

problem i had with a previous boat was it had an inflatable thwart, then 5 gall fuel tank, then a rather nice bag at the front of the boat (was a bombard tropik aero) however the space in it that was left was annoying small

my quicksilver is huge inside in comparison

have fun
Old 22 May 2008, 06:03   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Ta - ok next question - why would an airdeck model cost significantly more than a slatted floor model (£349 against £279 for the same one with a slatted floor) when from what I read on the other thread a slatted floor one is probably a better bet??
It sounds like you might be confusing a slatted floor with wooden floorboards. They are quite different.

A slatted floor is a soft, flat floor, stiffened with a number of crosswise slats. They pack away easily because you leave the slats in and roll it up, but they're are only only suitable for low power and low speed.

A high pressure inflatable floor gives you a relatively solid floor, so you can have an inflatable keel.

A wooden (or aluminium) floor creates an absolutely rigid deck, with an inflatable keel. The boat will perform better than an Airdeck, but is heavier, bulkier and significantly more hassle to put together and take apart.

John
Old 22 May 2008, 07:53   #10

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
It sounds like you might be confusing a slatted floor with wooden floorboards. They are quite different.

A slatted floor is a soft, flat floor, stiffened with a number of crosswise slats. They pack away easily because you leave the slats in and roll it up, but they're are only only suitable for low power and low speed.

A high pressure inflatable floor gives you a relatively solid floor, so you can have an inflatable keel.

A wooden (or aluminium) floor creates an absolutely rigid deck, with an inflatable keel. The boat will perform better than an Airdeck, but is heavier, bulkier and significantly more hassle to put together and take apart.

John
You beat me to it!

An excellent assessment.
Old 22 May 2008, 10:05   #11

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
I reinforced a 3m Tohatsu inflatable (with 5hp) with 4 peices of (cut to size and chamfered) gravel board between the airdeck and inflatable keel (placed across the boat under the airdeck when inflating) - this did help to reduce flexing in choppier waters without adding much weight.
Old 22 May 2008, 11:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post

John
You are right I did, which meant I was then really confused

Airdeck it will have to be I think. Thanks for the advice...

Old 22 May 2008, 22:14   #13

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/infla...el680151.bhtml

Any comments on this model please, good/bad on either quality or price?

I am thinking about something to hang my 6hp aux off just to play with. Don't want to spend too much money but must be able to carry a couple of people and be fairly light.

Ta

Stephen
Don't hung up with any inflatable under 3.00 with a 6 HP engine will be my recomendation, choose air floor if portability and quick inflation/deflation is a must. Personally would go for a 320/330 size.

Happy Boating
Old 23 May 2008, 16:43   #14

I went back for a look at the Zodiac I was in the other day - turns out to be a 3.1M with a solid ply floor (shows how much notice I was taking!)

Think I will have to try and find one round here with an air floor to compare and see if it will be any good first.

Old 23 May 2008, 16:49   #15

Town: Alderney
Quote:
I went back for a look at the Zodiac I was in the other day - turns out to be a 3.1M with a solid ply floor (shows how much notice I was taking!)

Think I will have to try and find one round here with an air floor to compare and see if it will be any good first.
Think of the airdecks as a half way trade off... Like a slatted floor but with a keel, in other words - floppy but well mannered.