Old 10 October 2013, 08:33   #31
Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Length: 3m +
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons

I'm very exited to give it it's first use this weekend, maybe on llangorse lake, or on the river wye if the water's high enough. [/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your purchase.

Llangorse lake. A few things you should know.
The owners are not very Welcoming if you want to use your own boat there.
It costs around £20 to launch.
It is quite open to the wind and given what we got at the moment I would be careful as your new engine may not make to much progress against the wind.
I was there last week and seen a lot of weed around the edges which may be a problem if tangled on your prop.
For a maiden voyage have you thought of the Mon and Brecon canal?
Pop it in at Llangnyrdir you got several miles of lock free water to the North. Weather won't be a problem as most or it is sheltered.
Apply for a day licence online with British Waterways for a few pounds.

Seabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2013, 16:58   #32
Length: no boat
Hi all,
I managed to get buoyancy aids and all that stuff sorted, and took the boat out for her first trip today. Unfortunately within about 30 seconds of leaving the river banks, the shear bolt went and that put an end to our trip for today! Unlucky of course, but could have been alot worse.

I'll let you know how it all goes after I've done my next trip, which will hopefully be a successful one.

I have posted in the engine part of the forum, a question about where I might find the nearest shop which should stock the shear pin for my engine (2.3hp Honda BF).

If anyone has any info about where an outboard spares stockist would be in the Herefordshire/ Gloucestershire area, I would be very grateful!

ReadySalted is offline   Reply With Quote