Old 08 February 2016, 18:36   #1

Make: AB
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard, 40hp
Hypalon bottom paint prep

I recently purchased a 2003 13' AB rib. The po bottom painted it for salt water which is fine but how do I prep the hypalon? The old paint is cracked and looks terrible. I will be docked in fresh water so bottom paint is unnecessary but I want to clean it up. I don't care what it looks like, won't see it, but don't want to ruin the hypalon.
Should I just block sand a little to scuff it up and paint over it with proper paint? Am I over analyzing??

btw, anyone know how to setup signatures so I don't have to type out my boat every time?
Old 08 February 2016, 18:47   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbot1 View Post
I recently purchased a 2003 13' AB rib. The po bottom painted it for salt water which is fine but how do I prep the hypalon? The old paint is cracked and looks terrible. I will be docked in fresh water so bottom paint is unnecessary but I want to clean it up. I don't care what it looks like, won't see it, but don't want to ruin the hypalon.
Should I just block sand a little to scuff it up and paint over it with proper paint? Am I over analyzing??

btw, anyone know how to setup signatures so I don't have to type out my boat every time?
If the paint cracked, then the wrong paint was probably used. You might remove the bottom paint and find that the hypalon is damaged underneath it.

I recommend Pettit Hydrocoat SR or Pettit Inflatable Antifouling on inflatable boats. It's water based, so it is environmentally friendly. It is also very flexible, can EASILY be removed with solvent, and does not interfere with patchwork.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2016, 16:37   #3

What do you think is the best way to safely remove the current paint? Block sand with say 100 grit? I rather stay away from solvents.
I would be surprised of any bad sections under the paint other than the 2 seams at the stern I need to patch but you never know. The boat holds air pretty well but looks like the paint is extremely old.
Old 09 February 2016, 18:28   #4

Quote:
What do you think is the best way to safely remove the current paint? Block sand with say 100 grit? I rather stay away from solvents.
I would be surprised of any bad sections under the paint other than the 2 seams at the stern I need to patch but you never know. The boat holds air pretty well but looks like the paint is extremely old.
It might hold air, but the CSM topcoating could be badly damaged. The interior neoprene is what holds the air in.

Sanding is safer, but slow.

I'd use a DA.
Old 09 February 2016, 20:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
It might hold air, but the CSM topcoating could be badly damaged. The interior neoprene is what holds the air in.

Sanding is safer, but slow.

I'd use a DA.
Thanks for the advice and sorry for the ignorance but whats a "DA"
Old 10 February 2016, 18:47   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and sorry for the ignorance but whats a "DA"
Dual action sander.
Old 22 February 2016, 12:27   #7

I don't have a Dual Action sander but I am looking into one. I should have one for waxing anyways.
I started sanding with a regular vibrating power sander and it is VERY slow going. I didn't think it would be this bad because there really isn't much surface area being a rib. There must be about 10-12 layers on there and all cracked some are very large cracks so its hard to cut through without fear of sanding too much on the hypalon.
I will do a little at a time as long as the good weather keeps up. I still have quite a while before slash day.