Old 05 August 2011, 15:36   #1

Town: Perth
Boat name: Iolaire Mara
Make: Honda
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard petrol
Hull split

We have a honwave t40i & were out today in good conditions when the boat suddenly filled with water. We use a garmin so know the depth was 60ft. We managed to get ashore to discover the hull had split about 1m from the bow from side to middle seam. We know we did nor hit anything & there is no other sign if damage. The boat has approx 50hrs use. Does anyone have any ideas or experience of similar.
Old 05 August 2011, 16:54   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Do you have a photo?

Is it a seam that split or the fabric across the bottom?
Old 05 August 2011, 23:16   #3

I don't seem to be able to attach a photo from my phone but it isn't a seam it is straight across the material.
Old 06 August 2011, 08:39   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
If it's not a seam you'd have thought some small nick might have started this fault??

Is it an alloy floor model? Were you at speed and what was it like when it happened?

I've always warned the family the unexpected could happen with the structure of an inflatable, particularly in previous years with our 35yr old Mk.1 Zodiac.
Old 06 August 2011, 09:32   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkreth View Post
I don't seem to be able to attach a photo from my phone but it isn't a seam it is straight across the material.
Are you using the "native" browser or the rib.net app? And which phone (iPhone / Android etc).
Old 06 August 2011, 19:41   #6

It has an aluminium floor & the split is just below where the floor meets the wooden bow floorplate. We had the local honwave dealer look at it & he could see no sign of damage. He did say that there may have been a small nick in the hull that just gave under the pressure of the water. We were doing about 12 knots at the timehe sea state was fair. He did however say that we would probably find it very difficult to make a warranty claim as honda are very difficult to deal with. I was trying to upload a photo from my iphone.
Old 06 August 2011, 20:20   #7
RIBnet admin team

[QUOTE=Lkreth;414146 He did however say that we would probably find it very difficult to make a warranty claim as honda are very difficult to deal with. I was trying to upload a photo from my iphone.[/QUOTE]

Well I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what he says (assuming he sold you the boat). Your "contract" is with him not Honda. If there was genuinely a fault with the boat then he is liable for fixing/replacing it. Honda will have similar liabilities to him and it is his problem if Honda are then difficult to deal with (afterall he chose to be a Honda dealer).

You really need to post some pictures so perhaps those with relevant expertise might comment on whether it looks likely to be the result of manufacturing/material defect or wear/tear and or accidental damage.

Did the dealer present a path to get it fixed even if he wasn't willing to ask Honda to pay?
Old 06 August 2011, 22:47   #8

We didnt buy it from him. This happened on holiday. We phoned the dealer we bought it from who told us we would need to contact Honda who told us to take it to our nearest dealer! I will try to get photos up tomorrow. The problem is how do we prove it to be a fault.
Old 07 August 2011, 08:21   #9

You've mentioned 50hrs use but not the age of the boat. Is it still under warranty or are you hoping for some goodwill?
Old 07 August 2011, 08:26   #10

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
pictures say a1000 words , its worth trying to get some uploaded as a better judgement can be made
Old 07 August 2011, 13:38   #11

I have hopefully attached some photos now. the boat is only 14 months old so still within warranty but how could we prove it to be a material failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	61450   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	61451   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	61452  
Old 07 August 2011, 13:47   #12

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
in my opinion that shouldnt happen ,i would be back to the shop insisting they repair it ,cant see how they can say thats not a fault although they will probably try ! i would say its up to them to prove its not a fault in the fabric!
that would be my first port of call then if they refuse i would get in touch with CAB or if you have legal cover on your house insurance use that ,
hopefully they will repair it, i would think they would want to send it back to manufacturs to deterime the problem if they are sensible ,and take it from there ,but you only deal with the shop as thats who your contracts with ,so dont be fobbed off to the manufacturers thats there problem!
Old 07 August 2011, 13:48   #13

The best approach is to assert it must be material failure and get them to prove otherwise.

Having said that if the trailer in those images is your regular one it doesn't seem to support the boat properly and could have stressed the material either over time or at launch before the incident.
Old 07 August 2011, 17:44   #14

Will try contacting the dealer tomorrow. I don't know that I would ne happy with a repair as that would surely affect the resale value. Also I dint think I would feel confident going out in it again, that was one of the scariest things I've ever been through. It filled so quickly & sat so low in the water that we really thought it was sinking at first!
The trailer is an Indespension so wouldn't have thought it wasn't properly supported.
Old 07 August 2011, 17:59   #15

I hate to say this but if you're saying that is the boat's normal trailer no it's not properly supported. To me that doesn't look like an Indespension trailer for an inflatable... it looks like a rigid dinghy version. The ones for inflatables have the bunks right out almost over the mudguards so the tubes are directly supported... also they don't tend to have central rollers... should be pads.

You can see your bunks support the boat under the floor, possibly the weakest part for a point load. Your tubes have no support apart from where they flop onto the mudguards... and the mudguard stays are not designed to support this weight. They can and do break then in seconds the tyre will rip through a tube.

Sorry to be so negative.
Old 07 August 2011, 18:22   #16

That is a bit alarming as we bought it from a chandlery at South Queensferry as they recommended it for our sib!!
Old 07 August 2011, 18:42   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
It filled so quickly & sat so low in the water that we really thought it was sinking at first!
glad you managed to make it safely ashore. In reality, as you have discovered even with the hull completely flooded the boat will stay afloat, but of course its a slow wet trip to get back ashore.

Quote:
The trailer is an Indespension so wouldn't have thought it wasn't properly supported.
I wouldn't assume just because it is a big manufacturer that the trailer is ideal or set up correctly for your boat. However if Bosun's Locker sold you the boat and trailer as a package then if the trailer is not fit for purpose then this is their fault and they need to put it right.

Quote:
That is a bit alarming as we bought it from a chandlery at South Queensferry as they recommended it for our sib!!
Unfortunately it is a common problem that dealers sell whatever trailer makes their package the right price not the best trailer for the boat. It also seems that many boat dealers are pretty clueless (or lazy) at correctly setting up the trailer/supports for the particular craft.

Is the boat insured against accidental damage? If so I'd be contacting my insurer immediately and letting them take it up. If the conclusion from Honda/Dealer/Independent inspection is that you have hit something and torn it, or scraped it on the trailer etc then you will already have the ball rolling. If it turns out to be material failure then the insurer will add some weight (e.g. loss adjuster report) to getting it resolved.
Old 07 August 2011, 18:45   #18

Here is an eaxmple of the Indespension Merit range for smaller boats. This looks quite like yours with the bunks well in from the mudguards and central rollers and it states for hard hulled boats...

New Trailers

This is the one for inflatables and you can see how it is designed for proper support...

New Trailers

If you travel it with an outboard on and the transom is unsupported (can't quite see that from your images) it will be even worse.
Old 07 August 2011, 19:47   #19

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
To me also it looks that is not a real material failure .
Poor inflating / floor assembly could give that result.

I hope they will manage to help you
Old 07 August 2011, 19:56   #20

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Any chance it may have ever been full or had a load of rain water or recovered full of water on that trailer at sometime ,
looks like was said by fenlander that the trailer is more for a hard hull r.i.b than a s.i.b .