Old 29 July 2011, 13:07   #1

Town: Vermilion, Ohio
Boat name: Red Leppelin
Make: Achilles
Length: 4m +
Engine: none...yet
MMSI: What's that?
HP question for 14 ft(3.9 meter) Inflatable Keel Achilles

I just bought a 1985, 14ft(3.9M) Achilles in very, good condition for, believe it or not, 125USD. The seller recently settled his divorce and needed money and a quick sale.
It is rated for 50 hp. Since it has some age on it I do not think it is wise to strap on the maximum allowable Hp. What do you think?
I am considering a 25hp. Can anyone tell me what the speed might be with two people on board?
I am new to this site as of today. Some of the English slang used by the Europeans on here makes me laugh. Especially the use of the word quid to describe money.
Old 29 July 2011, 13:17   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Hi, welcome to RIBnet.

On the older boats, the rating will probably be based on a 2 stroke motor, so check the motor max weight allowed as well as the max HP. If the transom and glueing looks OK, I would go for the power but watch the weight. You don't HAVE to use full throttle all the time, but it's good to have the power on tap some of the time.

Quid - do you reserve the term for chewin' baccy?

I'd be cautious about calling the English "Europeans", the Scottish "English" or the Irish "British". Minor land wars have been started over less...

Old 29 July 2011, 13:56   #3

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
It'll move fine with 25hp. Im guessing a top speed of 25mph, maybe more, which is plenty.
Old 29 July 2011, 19:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hi, welcome to RIBnet.

On the older boats, the rating will probably be based on a 2 stroke motor, so check the motor max weight allowed as well as the max HP. If the transom and glueing looks OK, I would go for the power but watch the weight. You don't HAVE to use full throttle all the time, but it's good to have the power on tap some of the time.

I'd be cautious about calling the English "Europeans", the Scottish "English" or the Irish "British". Minor land wars have been started over less...

Thanks. I did not know about the Scot/Brit statement. I certainly know not to call an Irishman one of those. Since this seems to be an "overseas" forum, I was casting a broad generalization. I suppose to do so is like you placing North and South Americans in the same catagory.
Old 29 July 2011, 19:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hi, welcome to RIBnet.

I would like to place a 4 stoke on it due to the quietness. I will have to check specs for the weight differences. If I thought it would be safe I would buy a new 50 hp.
Old 29 July 2011, 19:24   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by catabisis View Post
I just bought a 1985, 14ft(3.9M) Achilles in very, good condition for, believe it or not, 125USD. The seller recently settled his divorce and needed money and a quick sale.
It is rated for 50 hp. Since it has some age on it I do not think it is wise to strap on the maximum allowable Hp. What do you think?
I am considering a 25hp. Can anyone tell me what the speed might be with two people on board?
I am new to this site as of today. Some of the English slang used by the Europeans on here makes me laugh. Especially the use of the word quid to describe money.
Nice buy

It's not your fault I guess,as a septic you were taught a colonial dialect of English...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 19:38   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
some boat builders recomended power were based on Power /head hp rather than propeller hp as most are today . just my 2p worth .
Mart
Old 29 July 2011, 20:18   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I know a lot of divers with that very boat (and used to own a newer one.)

I had a Honda 40 on mine; a fairly heavy motor, but the boat handled it fine. Should have gone for a 50 (more hp is almost always better.) I was, however, hauling divers and gear; the 40 was fine up to 3; four divers and gear or more made for a really long run to get on plane (often several minutes.)

Inspection of the transom to tube joint should give an indication of whether or not you should derate; if it looks solid, I wouldn't worry too much about using the rated hp.

Luck, and nice deal you found;

jky