Old 21 February 2014, 11:02   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
In CA; MEK is still available (quarts and gallons) from TAP Plastics. Also via the web. I don't think the state has banned it (yet); it was the manufacturer not wanting to deal with the fallout from health issues from use.

jky

Old 10 March 2014, 06:46   #12

Town: Berkshire
Make: Zodiac Futura MK II
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 20hp 4 Strok
Hi all,
That break in the weather has actually arrived, I have started doing the list of jobs I need to do on the boat yesterday, I have to admit the MEK scenario is a bit of a tidious & boring job, I only started a little bit yesterday due to other bits and pieces I was doing, the neigbours must of thought I was bonkers hoovering and washing the boat, lol,

I plan to do some more work on the boat in a minute after I have finished writing here,

The straps that secure the flooring to the tubes I believe, one of them that is glued to the floor has slightly split in the middle when I was bending it back slightly to take the old glue off with the MEK as much as I could, thing is I was no no where near where the split is,

I wasn't being rough with the rubber when I was slightly moving it so it had came to a bit or a suprise when it had split in the centre, this has lead me to the conclusion I want to reinforce all of the straps that secure the tubes to the floor (I think there is six in total) I will take photo later if I get a chance,

How will the best way to basically secure and reinforce the straps to the floor and tubes? should I glue a bigger patch straight over the original straps? but slightly larger bit of PVC material?, or in one complete piece from the floor to the tube?, or two separate pieces? I am not bothered about how it looks as long it is safe and sea worthy? I can see slight signs around the boat where the glue has started to come away or I will need to make a slight repair so I want to fix all the bits and pieces the best I can no matter what it looks like, safety is more important to me, I spent a lot of money on the boat and I dont think i would get my money back now so I have to have some use out of it as I have only been on it once, I didn't buy the boat it until late August last year so I am trying to have it all ready for the beginning of May, I didn't think of looking under the aliminium flooring before I purchased the boat, Learning curfew I suppose, so I may as well repair the best I can, I dont think it is that bad, could be a lot worse, so I am trying to catch everything now ore reinforce to get me through a couple of years at least, the boat is mainly going to be being used for sea fishing, and the odd family day out down the coast where it will be just cruising around, I wish I didn't live 65 miles from the nearest seafront, or 75 miles from launch site,

This might sound a dumb question but what is my black floor made out of? PVC? or what do I need to purchase do the odd patching on the floor inside and outside the boat? I am now thinking of the reinforcement of all of the straps on the boat from the floor to the tubes, it just seems to be a different material, please correct me if I am being dumb?

I was also thinking of putting a new PVC seam in from the flooring to the tubes so it is sightly overlapping the old PVC seam with the tube, just for more reinforcement, what do you think?

I plan to go several miles out to sea so I want to be safe as I possibly can, and more piece of mind as well when at sea,

well, I best go and get the MEK out, thanks to all once again,

Shaun

Old 10 March 2014, 11:36   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Pics would be good.

I admit I'm not all that familiar with Zodiacs, but don't remember the floor being secured in any way other than the tubes being inflated and pinching it between them and the floor (and secured front and back by the bow and transom.)

I would expect all the fabric on the boat is PVC.

jky
Old 10 March 2014, 15:36   #14

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
The entire boat is PVC. I think by straps you mean the reinforcement fabric? If so you MUST remove them all and reglue them AFTER putting the floor back in. There is nothing wrong with replacing any that are not in excellent condition, just use the old piece as a pattern.

Pictures would be helpful.
Old 10 March 2014, 16:16   #15

Hi all,

Please see a selection of photos of these strap things I am on about, there is four of them at the front of the boat, I have cleaned a couple of them, they do look a lot better than they were,

I also discovered when I was under the boat taken photos of various other patches that are already on the boat,I seen speckles of daylight through some of the flooring, not what I want to see, so now I have more gluing and patching to repair underneath,

I nearly packed it in and was going to cut my losses and stick it on flea bay, but my daughter is telling me just to think positive and repair it, i dunno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	91975   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	91976   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	91977   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	91978   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	91979  

Old 10 March 2014, 16:21   #16

more photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	91980   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	91981   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4817.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	91982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4826.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	91983   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4829.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	91984  

Old 10 March 2014, 16:28   #17

more photos, think I got ripped off! Think I might chuck more than a rotten fish through his window, think I will need a new floor the way this is going, I paid 1100 for this, tell me people, honestly did I get ripped off? That might be a dumb question coming from me and is it worth repairing and cutting my losses and f, iing the boat off!, please put me out of my misery fellow forum members
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4825.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	91987   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4827.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	91988   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4831.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	91989   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4832.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	91990   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4821.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	91991  

Old 10 March 2014, 17:42   #18

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Its easy for all of us to be wise after the fact, worrying about whether you've been ripped off wont change anything and ultimately leads to feeling even worse. To try and give you some guidance I sold a spares or repairs 2001 Futura Mk2C FR (3.8m Airdeck) for nearly 500 on Ebay with a 99p start, it needed a lot of gluing too.

Futura's are expensive boats and although it looks like its had a hard life , IMHO its worth repairing.

However you need to make a decision, either bite the bullet and repair it properly or sell it for spares and repairs on ebay and replace with something new. A HonWave T40 is a great boat (but not as good as the Futura ) and can be bought for 1k.
Old 10 March 2014, 19:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Its easy for all of us to be wise after the fact, worrying about whether you've been ripped off wont change anything and ultimately leads to feeling even worse. To try and give you some guidance I sold a spares or repairs 2001 Futura Mk2C FR (3.8m Airdeck) for nearly 500 on Ebay with a 99p start, it needed a lot of gluing too. Futura's are expensive boats and although it looks like its had a hard life , IMHO its worth repairing. However you need to make a decision, either bite the bullet and repair it properly or sell it for spares and repairs on ebay and replace with something new. A HonWave T40 is a great boat (but not as good as the Futura ) and can be bought for 1k.
If it were me............. I would cut my losses!
Sorry but sometimes you just have to think with your he'd over your heart!
I'm all for making improvements / modifications to my sib, but when integral parts of the structure are in such a state of disrepair / decay you are going to be wondering what's going to fail next????
You don't get second chances when out on the open waves!
I have a 3.5m Honwave aluminium floor.
It cost 800 new in 2010 and if it started failing like yours I would not consider myself short changed!
I would wave her off and thank her for the wonderful memories,
I've had countless hours of fun fishing and pleasure boating in it!
As it stands it is still like new and shows no sign of its countless hours in salt water.
It is washed down thoroughly after each use.
It is stabled on a trailer and kept outdoors under a hefty cover.
I would buy something like this with a warranty and use it with relative peace of mind that it ain't going to fail in the imminent future.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old 10 March 2014, 19:54   #20

P.S forgot to mention the biggest killer of sib material / structure is UV rays which undermined the fabric and the bonding agent.
Add salt water and it's a recipe for disaster.
Aerospace UV protectant, fresh soapy water baths after use and dense cover to protect from the sun is the way to treat your Sib.