Old 29 June 2018, 01:46   #1

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
How to deal with a flipped SIB and righting it correctly.

The SIBing season is in full swing. . . Take care out there

It's looking like a good season ahead with weather like this so far!

Last summer my boy flipped his sib and although I had talked him through how to right a SIB and showed him the videos on YouTube he had never been out with me when I had flipped one for real. (I always took care not encounter such possibility with him in my boat) but when I got him his own SIB last year and he was out with me in his lightweight SIB and giving it, it was only a matter of time lol So when he flipped it he was a little shook up and his training didn't kick in, I had to right it for him, once we got back ashore and I had hosed out the engine with fresh water and left it drying, I took him and the SIB back out to the shore line for a good few hours practice righting his SIB, He loved it and has mastered it! His the age to go off on his own in his SIB within my sight and I have no worries he can't sort out a flip with or without me because we still go out if there's a bit of a chop! Well Under 2 meters of course for our SIB cat C ratings [emoji3]

Uneven weight, to many passengers, a swell and other unforeseen events can easily flip a SIB!

First off make sure you got a line pre tied to one side of the grab line or handles, of your SIB.

Once flipped. . . .

1: swim to your SIB.
2: climb on top of it via the transom, climb up the engine if you have to!
3: stand up on the SIB.
4: untie and grab the righting line (you can tie a loop as a handle) that you've connected to the grab line, stand on the other tube that the line is not attached to and fall back, your body weight will flip the boat over, try to fall away from the boat because the boat WILL fall on you, try to fall in a lying position so your head is well away, don't fall in a standing position, I've had a few bangs on the head from oars and their mounts hitting me in the head when falling into the water in a standing position.

Once you've done it a few times you can learn to jump well away at the last minute as I do where as my boy was still falling clumsily into the water near the boat as it comes over with a whallop even after a good few practices. . . . But at least he can do it! see last picture where I jump well clear at the last minute, don't forget not just the boat but also all the tied on kit, fuel tank etc will come over with a lot of force! I was in a friends old 4mtr ex navy black zodiac once that flipped it took all 3 of us and our weight to flip it back over, and we only just managed! the boat engine and kit weight was literally a ton lol all the extra thick ply wood flooring he had fitted to take more weight fell out also!

Point to note. . . if you flip, get straight to the fuel tank or outboard internal tank and shut the vent, before you get on the boat to right it, always do this unless you need to get out the water fast. I've started many a dunked engine by just keep pulling and pulling and either it will start or it won't, (if you have not got a spark plug remover, pull the plugs and pull the pull cord 5 times, if not just keep pulling) But you won't start it at all with water in the fuel.

Well worth practicing, the weather and chop can change in minutes!

[ATTACH]125552

[ATTACH]125553

[ATTACH]125554

[ATTACH]125555

[ATTACH]125556
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7448.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	125552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7449.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	125553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7450.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	125554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7451.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	125555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7452.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	125556  

Old 29 June 2018, 20:46   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819

I had assumed someone else would have something to say about this. Perhaps they have Lee on ignore, or like most of us helm sensibly enough that they haven’t built up a belief they are experts in righting sibs! Still I feel we can’t let this thread go without some comments in case any inexperienced people find themselves trying this.

1. First step should probably go call the CG. Whether that is a Mayday, a PanPan, or a just for information. Will depend on your location, position and the proximity of danger/safety. Because, if 20 minutes later you’ve still not got it upright and are too tired to get back on the hull you may have a real issue, but equally if you confidently have the situation under control byestanders on the shoreline don’t know that and are likely to call 999. (If you want to practice this it would be a good idea to let them know too)

2. When you want to right it it will help to understand how/if the wind will help/hinder depending if you decide to stand on the port/starboard tube. Rarely will you flip a sib in conditions where that is irrelevant.

3. Trying to restart a submerged engine that may have water in the cylinders can cause serious damage - the rnli and zapcat guys who are really the masters at post immersion restart remove plugs.

There’s probably other points worth highlighting - but really if you expect to need these skills then practicing as Lee has done makes sense, but it might be worth finding someone with experience to help you. We covered the theory on my PB2 course but I don’t think it’s on the actual syllabus.
Old 29 June 2018, 20:58   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Or..............

Do an RYA "Sea Survival Course".

You'll be taught how to right a life-raft in the safety of a swimming pool and if the need ever arises (and it really shouldn't) simply apply the same technic to righting a SIB.
Old 29 June 2018, 21:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
if you have not got a spark plug remover, pull the plugs and pull the pull cord 5 times, if not just keep pulling
Huh?

If you don't have a plug spanner - remove the plugs?
Old 29 June 2018, 22:24   #5

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I think this is really important, we were out on a lake last week and if l somehow flipped the rig on to its back we’d be in some trouble if we couldn’t right it.
I have no radio only a phone which may not work although it’s supposed to be waterproof
Watching the video and looking at the pictures posted by the OP means at least l have a chance of doing something.
As my wife would also be in the water we would rely on somebody seeing us . And Coniston Lake was pretty quiet at the island end when we were out one evening.
We do if course wear lifejackets and it’s unlikely l would flip the boat at the lake speed limit of 10mph.
But still good to know there’s something l could do.
Old 30 June 2018, 07:05   #6

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Huh?

If you don't have a plug spanner - remove the plugs?
I think he meant pull the plug caps off so there is no spark. Turning over the engine will remove a small amount of water without causing damage. If the cylinders contain a lot of water, it will cause damage.

A plug spanner is something that everyone should have on board anyway — not for when you flip, because you shouldn't expect to flip if driving sensibly in sensible conditions — but for when the engine fails to start and you may wish to check, change, or clean the plugs.
Old 30 June 2018, 08:38   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'd work on the assumption that if you're close to flipping a SIB you're experiencing a perfect storm scenario, which means poor sea conditions and/or insufficient experience which could result in you capsizing.

It's rare, not that it doesn't happen, but my experience is you're more likely to fall out by accident hitting a rogue wave or miscalculating a manoeuvre or a mixture of both.

Right now sea temperatures in UK waters will be around 10-13°C depending where you are. Some deep inland lochs could be even colder, so cold water shock is your first issue. Even with a wetsuit or dry suit, it's no fun being in the water unexpectedly.

Came across this on YouTube. No life jacket, sitting on a bench seat without locking feet under the SIB tube and no killcord that I can see.

Poly's advice on CG is spot-on. Account for everyone on board a put the call in immediately with a hand-held VHF which should be part of your personal kit. You can spend time righting an inflatable boat, but that's based on experience and sea conditions and lose valuable time if conditions deteriorate.

Everything loose in the boat is now in the water in a capsize scenario, so use dry bags and ensure they're strapped to hand holds.
Old 30 June 2018, 12:22   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I think he meant pull the plug caps off so there is no spark. Turning over the engine will remove a small amount of water without causing damage. If the cylinders contain a lot of water, it will cause damage.

A plug spanner is something that everyone should have on board anyway — not for when you flip, because you shouldn't expect to flip if driving sensibly in sensible conditions — but for when the engine fails to start and you may wish to check, change, or clean the plugs.
But if cylinders have water in them (you have no way of knowing if thy do or not with plugs in) and you turn the motor the over your still likely to damage as you can’t compress the water....... jetski have Sticker on the back showing whic way to turn them if they capsize so cylinders dont flood, do outboards have the same? RTFM time
Old 30 June 2018, 13:13   #9

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
But if cylinders have water in them (you have no way of knowing if thy do or not with plugs in) and you turn the motor the over your still likely to damage as you can’t compress the water....... jetski have Sticker on the back showing whic way to turn them if they capsize so cylinders dont flood, do outboards have the same? RTFM time
The danger isnt the water immediately in the cylinders as you wont be able to turn the engine. The danger comes when you pull it over and suck the water into the cylinders from the intake area you then have momentum in the engine and can snap conrods etc
Old 30 June 2018, 19:46   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Yep ignore sorry.
Old 01 July 2018, 13:36   #11

Yes, I meant, if you don't have a spark plug remover your only option to try to restart the engine is to just keep pulling. I have started a few old engines like that but later ones sadly not. Don't remove the ht leads if you are going to try to start the engine this way. It's unlikely the cylinders will be completely full of water, (good idea to keep at least a spark plug remover under the engine hood if it there's not a basic tool kit there already) If you feel resistance on the pull start for the first pull. . . pull it very slowly on that pull and maybe the next one also and when it feels normal Pull hard and fast. Once back on shore wash the entire engine (hood removed) with fresh water or dunk the entire engine with hood off in a fresh water tank if you can't do either use wd40 like you would water to wash! Pour neat 2 stroke oil down the cylinders 100ml in each and pull the pull start a few times and repeat twice again.
Old 01 July 2018, 14:40   #12

Wind won't effect righting a sib.
Old 01 July 2018, 14:50   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

True, but it will certainly affect it
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2018, 14:53   #14

If you don't want to start your engine then row ashore it's you choice, I have started a good 7-10 different makes and sizes of engines after flipping or dunking with out and damage to them, as long as they are then cleaned asap as described above in my last post, take my advise (someone who has actually done it! Or read theory from others who have not!) have a look on you tube for restarting a dunked engine. . . It's done all the time.

RNLI DO NOT strip and re-bearing or piston ring their 2 stroke outboards after they are dunked!

When a 4 stroke engine is flipped or dunked water mixes with the engine oil and it's better not to use the engine for longer than a few minutes to get back to shore otherwise you ARE likely to damage it if engine oil and sea water have mixed I forgot to mention this as I NEVER use 4 stroke engines lol
Old 01 July 2018, 15:09   #15

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
True, but it will certainly affect it
peddent!
Old 01 July 2018, 15:14   #16

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
I would have thought that you would try and stand on the down wind tube so that the wind helps you right the SIB.
Old 01 July 2018, 15:21   #17

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
peddent!

Pedant [emoji1]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2018, 15:34   #18

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
peddent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Pedant [emoji1]

Pending ?

But hey.. there is no wind in his flipping photos ..the sea is flat calm ..so Lee wont know about that procedure. In fact as there is no outboard .. or anything else in his boat in the photos ..it would be as easy as flipping a lilo over in a swimming pool... so no need to think too much.

Lee if the OB is as robust as you say.. why don’t you let you boy practise for real ? Put the OB on and a full tank of fuel..a 2KG anchor and that fancy Halfords tool box you bought... perhaps in some wind and waves too.. but protect his head.

I think you have suffered too many blows from your oars as you play at being a seasoned SIB’er.
Old 01 July 2018, 16:18   #19

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
I would have thought that you would try and stand on the down wind tube so that the wind helps you right the SIB.
This would be wise in a slight to moderate wind. Not sure if in an extreme wind there would be a danger of the boat going 360 degrees.

We practised righting a large SIB when I did my BSAC Diver Cox many years ago, ad it's no more difficult than righting a sailing dinghy — possibly easier — and dealing with the engine, fuel tank, anchor box, tools etc. is probably more of an issue!
Old 12 July 2018, 08:01   #20

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: 2 anchors
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2 str
Nice to see the RNLI doing it Lee’s way https://twitter.com/nbrnli/status/10...764129282?s=12

Tags
sib