Old 01 December 2006, 19:48   #1

Length: 3m +
How strict is the outboard power limit on the transom ?

I have a little sib with a 5.5 hp engine limit, now does that mean a 7.5 hp engine will tear it to shreads or that I just shouldn't use the 7 hp one at full power.

Is it the weight of the engine or the power that they put out and therefore stresses the transom at ? If it it just the stress, could you just get up to speed slowly then whack it up to full power.

The only reasopn I ask is I figure a 5 hp at full wack will be very loud, where as a 7hp at 3/4 tilt is going to sound a lot more relaxing at the same speed and with the posiblity of a bit more if needed, no plans for flat out starts.

Any advice please ?
Old 01 December 2006, 20:12   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Assuming you have insurance, it would be null and void if you had to make a claim.
Old 01 December 2006, 22:22   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
I have a little sib with a 5.5 hp engine limit, now does that mean a 7.5 hp engine will tear it to shreads or that I just shouldn't use the 7 hp one at full power.

Is it the weight of the engine or the power that they put out and therefore stresses the transom at ? If it it just the stress, could you just get up to speed slowly then whack it up to full power.

Any advice please ?
That's overpowered by 30%. Sounds risky to me with the extra weight and load. Is the 7.5hp a 2 or 4stroke?

What's the weight limit?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2006, 06:12   #4

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
I'de do it..

But then again I'de put a 30 hp on a scanoe just to see what would happen.. Yeeeehaw!!!

In all serioiusness I don't think it would be a problem the way you say you plan to drive.. But hey, that's just me..

Jimmy
Old 02 December 2006, 13:16   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
it is more about the weight of the engine I would say. A 5.5hp 4 stroke coul;d easily be the same weight as a 7.5hp 2 stroke.
Old 02 December 2006, 21:15   #6

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Engine size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey View Post

The only reasopn I ask is I figure a 5 hp at full wack will be very loud, where as a 7hp at 3/4 tilt is going to sound a lot more relaxing at the same speed and with the posiblity of a bit more if needed, no plans for flat out starts.

Any advice please ?
Hi Lukey,

It sounds like you should get bigger boat...
Dirk is right about Insurance and that also includes 3rd party.
There are also Transom Stress issues but I doubt that the % increase in power at this level will damage transom. I guess it will point to the sky on power applied which may be dangerous. Tolerances are always catered for with this stuff but I would not advise messing with it. You may also get a "speed wobble" Too many variables, get a new rib... Seen a few nice ones with 15HP on boats and outboards
Old 02 December 2006, 21:49   #7

What's all this about insurance? How many people would bother for a little SIB??? I have a Quicksilver 3.1 with a 15hp 4 stroke - I can launch anywhere I like with no hassle as it isn't considered a "real" boat. Our local council are really hot on such matters but I come under the HP limit to need to show insurance.

Do people bother with insurance for cycling or canoing or body boarding??? Next people will think you need insurance for roller blading and using a pogo stick!!!
Old 02 December 2006, 22:01   #8

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
OK, but what happens if you if you get sued ?
Old 02 December 2006, 22:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by v666 View Post
OK, but what happens if you if you get sued ?
Exactly the same as would happen if you crashed your bike into someone - or fell off a horse on someone's head - or jumped on your trampoline and landed on your neighbours cat!!! Do you insure yourself for EVERYTHING before you go out of the house? No wonder this country is in such a state!!!
Old 02 December 2006, 22:22   #10

No I don't, but maybe I should as we heading the Ameican way.

As for the neighbours cat, I wish someone would land on it, might stop it ripping up my bin bags on rubbish day
Old 02 December 2006, 22:30   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
What's all this about insurance? How many people would bother for a little SIB??? I have a Quicksilver 3.1 with a 15hp 4 stroke - I can launch anywhere I like with no hassle as it isn't considered a "real" boat. Our local council are really hot on such matters but I come under the HP limit to need to show insurance.

Do people bother with insurance for cycling or canoing or body boarding??? Next people will think you need insurance for roller blading and using a pogo stick!!!
The general idea is you insure anything you can't afford to replace, or where it might cause damage to someone else you can't afford to repair make good. The cost of losing your sib through theft or damage may be insignificant to you but appreciable to others. There are places you would need to show insurance even for your little sib - just obviously not in wales.

Probably the main argument for insurance is the damage or "injury" you might cause someone else. In this increasingly litigous world, with accident chasing lawyers, even your own crew might end up sueing you! That worries me less than the hole I might put in the side of someones gin palace.

It is actually quite common to insure both canoes and bikes against theft, and normally for 3rd party risks too. This is particularly common if the person is serious about the sport, member of club, or has expensive gear. I can't comment on body boarding. Bike and canoe policies typically cost £20-150 depending upon value, usage, risks covered etc.

FYI - i have neither a bike nor canoe - so no need to insure them. I used to have a bike but used it so little to justify not insuring it (the remaining time it was covered under my home contents policy). I know people who have insured both bikes and canoes.

You will be horrified to hear that google reveals there are policies available for rollerblading (e.g. https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/ac...=1&sportid=139) although I couldn't find pogostick insurance!
Old 03 December 2006, 01:32   #12

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Do people bother with insurance for cycling or canoing or body boarding???

As a matter of fact yes. Big, big time, in some cases. Consider the situations of the riders who finished 1st and 2nd in this past summers' Tour De France. You can be sure that all of the insurers that are involved in any way shape or form with either of them are going absolutely nuts right now.
Old 03 December 2006, 08:34   #13

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
Do people bother with insurance for cycling or canoing or body boarding???
99% of canoes/canoeists have at least 3rd party insurance, the BCU include it in their membership.

Quote:
What's all this about insurance? How many people would bother for a little SIB???

I do, its £35 a year (Insured against theft aswell), not really worth risking it at that price.
Old 03 December 2006, 16:07   #14

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Quote:

bet that goes like stink!!!! - ur havent u had the balls to open it up?! i have my reservations in it!
Old 03 December 2006, 17:44   #15

Is it possible to get insurance for an overpowered craft ?
Surley if you are willing to pay the premium then you could get insurance.
I know you can insure a car that is in excess of the manufactures figures, so it would be reasonable to think that the same could be done for marine insurance.
Also, do manufactures test boats to find out at what point they break (or start to) so they can then give a recomended max HP ?
Old 03 December 2006, 20:11   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit View Post
bet that goes like stink!!!! - ur havent u had the balls to open it up?! i have my reservations in it!
Goes very well - have touched 25mph but it feels a lot faster!!!
Old 03 December 2006, 23:34   #17

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Is it possible to get insurance for an overpowered craft ?
No, assuming it's a boat built after June 98, it would have to comply with the RCD, and so it would have a manufacturers plate with it's CE mark and maximum HP.

Quote:
Also, do manufactures test boats to find out at what point they break (or start to) so they can then give a recomended max HP ?
No, but they do have to be tested and certificated prior to being available for sale to the public.
Old 04 December 2006, 10:43   #18

Woo There Horsies

Right so a little over probably won't make a diference, if it a two stroke, also should be fine. Not insured, mainly up and down the thames, odd canal, it is a rubber ring full of air, can't see that I will hurt much, and there arn't many divers in the thames or grand union so I think I will take the financal risk .

As for argueing, I got very excited seeing soooo many replies to my post only to find 5 of them any use, the rest just hair pulling and cat scratching.

For the guys who proffer a opinion on the subject, cheers, to the rest, stop teasing me, you cads you.
Old 04 December 2006, 17:08   #19

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
At the risk of getting jumped on from a great height??? I would recomend to anyone to at least have third party insurance it is i,m afraid the price you have to pay to be a responsible user.Not to taken personally just my veiw
Old 04 December 2006, 17:31   #20

Town: Leighton Buzzard
If you take a boat on the Grand Union canal it is a requirement that you have third party insurance cover for £1million as a minimum, and a valid licence. Patrol officers can and do check.