Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 November 2018, 06:13   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: barnstaple
Boat name: sportboat s250
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp outboard
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
how much power?

Hi guys
i currently have a very old Avon s250 sportboat, running a tiny 4hp outboard. it says on the transom plate it is rated to 25hp but has useful hp of 15. if anyone knows anything about these old SIBs is it worth me getting a 15? would the performance over a 10 be worth it? I'm very undecided as with the extra weight and fuel costs on one hand but obviously on the other there is MORE POWER! how much does it take to get one of these to plane? I'm not a small guy, certainly lighter than a friend who goes out with an excel boat of a similar length, and he gets on the plane very easily with a 10...
__________________

__________________
minisponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 06:39   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Bandit
Make: Ribtec 535
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90 2-Stroke
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 416
Welcome Sam.

I have an Avon Rover 310 with a wooden floor and that flies with my Tohatsu 9.8. Actually I think it would be dangerous with another 50% power.

Just my view.
__________________

__________________
Ribtecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 07:08   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: barnstaple
Boat name: sportboat s250
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp outboard
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
that was another of my concerns, its a very old boat after all...
__________________
minisponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 10:40   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,652
I had a 15 on a zodiac zoom went like a dream just because you have 15 horses doesn't mean you have to use um throttling back is better for fuel consumption and the engine it's rated to 25 so plenty of strength in the boat, great boats avons.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2018, 05:32   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: barnstaple
Boat name: sportboat s250
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp outboard
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
thanks very much guys!
i think i'll just wait until the right engine of either size comes up at the right price. Or find a way of convincing the Mrs to let me buy a new one
__________________
minisponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2018, 12:33   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 226
A friend of mine had the S250 with Evinrude 25. The boat was only rated at 25hp if you had the remote steering and controls if I remember correctly otherwise 15hp tiller was max. It did go well though!
__________________
Seaflyer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2018, 14:37   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 226
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0 (2).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	127840
__________________
Seaflyer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 12:40   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
A friend of mine had the S250 with Evinrude 25. The boat was only rated at 25hp if you had the remote steering and controls if I remember correctly otherwise 15hp tiller was max. It did go well though!
I get the wheel / tiller thing - get the weight forward!

Here is a curveball Q.... I've got a W300... which i believe is the "robust" (read: industrial so heavier?) version of the S series... it is also rated for 25 but no mention of a wheel...

I'm typing this from memory, so be aware my "W= heavy" theory might be a figment of my imagination!
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 22:01   #9
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 185
how much power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisponger View Post
Hi guys

i currently have a very old Avon s250 sportboat, running a tiny 4hp outboard. it says on the transom plate it is rated to 25hp but has useful hp of 15. if anyone knows anything about these old SIBs is it worth me getting a 15? would the performance over a 10 be worth it? I'm very undecided as with the extra weight and fuel costs on one hand but obviously on the other there is MORE POWER! how much does it take to get one of these to plane? I'm not a small guy, certainly lighter than a friend who goes out with an excel boat of a similar length, and he gets on the plane very easily with a 10...


My first sib was a 1985 Avon spitfire. 30 hp max and thatís what I had on it. Back then the motor weighed 116 lbs. and it was designed to take controls that just clipped on it. The tiller handle that you just pushed up when using steering setup. It was blazing fast but less with two. Just ok with 3 and would barely plane with 4+ so Iím a believer in more hp is more fun.
My second sib was a small 12í with a 20 hp. Fast with one. Slow with more. With 3-4 itís a displacement hull.
P.s. I just looked at your pic again and thatís the same engine only smaller. Great design having both tiller/ remote control.
__________________
pagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2019, 03:31   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: barnstaple
Boat name: sportboat s250
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp outboard
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by minisponger View Post
thanks very much guys!
i think i'll just wait until the right engine of either size comes up at the right price. Or find a way of convincing the Mrs to let me buy a new one
So I've ended up with a 15! Now just to wait until the weather improves so I can give it a go! Pictures to follow when I can get going on it. When the summer comes I'd love to have a play around with some more people in different places so hopfully I'll get out and about for a bit of proper boating!
__________________
minisponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2019, 19:14   #11
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 982
I've always found the recommended hp manufacturers state to not be enough for me and always wish I'd gone to the max they recommend.
__________________
jonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 01:49   #12
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,393
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I've always found the recommended hp manufacturers state to not be enough for me and always wish I'd gone to the max they recommend.


A man after my own heart
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 09:55   #13
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 185
If you can solve the weight and cost, more is better. IMO
https://youtu.be/0-l-Rvu8ZfI
__________________
pagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 11:33   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
If you can solve the weight and cost, more is better. IMO
https://youtu.be/0-l-Rvu8ZfI
back to the good old days engine coughing loads of sh-t out no safety gear personal positioning love it thanks for posting
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.