Old 23 September 2018, 08:54   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
How much fuel you carry Donny

Now I have my Honwave T38IE and the 15 hp 2 stroke I was wondering how much fuel you boys carried when you went round Skye. I know you generally are running 4 strokes so that will be much less than I would use but was wondering. I recon for the equivelint trip I would need to carry 1.6 times the amount you would.

I think I could fit in 60 ltrs or more

Dennis
Old 23 September 2018, 09:28   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
BP those of us that bothered to measure the fuel usage of our Mercury 15 2-stroke OBs averaged around 2Nm per litre on the usual day out messing about on and off the throttle. You might do a little better if on a longer steady part throttle cruise.

So your total range on 60l would be 120Nm and a safe range using the rule of thirds 80Nm.

My Suzuki 20 4-stroke would manage about 50% further per litre very usefully increasing the safe range... in your 60l example it would be up from the 2-strokes 80Nm to 120Nm.

As a matter of interest my new Mariner 10hp 4-stroke will go twice as far per litre as the 15hp 2-stroke but would be too small for longer well loaded trips.
Old 23 September 2018, 10:25   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
As above, I've measured dozens of trips and it is always between the worst of 1.8nm L and the best of 2.6nm L on the Merc/Mariner 15 but generally, say a week of various use on the Dart river/sea an average of just under 2nm L. So work on 1.8 and go by the general rule, ie, 1/3 there 1/3 back and 1/3 spare.
Old 23 September 2018, 10:27   #4

Thanks very useful. The round Sky trip looked a long way so they would have had to carry quite a lot

Dennis
Old 23 September 2018, 11:44   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi BP ..looks like there is not much difference in consumption between the 25HP mariner two stroke that I have and the 15HP the guys have as our figures are roughly similar

For the longer multi day trips I personally carry 100 litres even if not using it all .. and don’t plan longer trips as 100 litres is enough to carry on an inflatable ..it means I can go almost 180 miles without having to think about refuelling. I don’t trust garages in remote Scotland to be open when I may want them.. few are 24 hours open.

I sit on top of 65 litres so it is not taking up space that I can use ( I don’t smoke )

Another 35 litres is kept under the front bench.

I carry a bottle of 2st oil and mix only when I fill the 25 litre tanks. I also carry 20 litres of water .. 8-16 tins of Guinness and a flask of whisky for emergency medical use .. so there is a lot of liquid sloshing about the inflatable on an average Gurnard multi day adventure.

Kaman and HH with their 20 HP four strokes .. carry half the fuel I do ..think HH said he used 33 litres which is half my usage. My advice .. always carry plenty liquids.. its better than drying out... you can get storm bound and use more than expected.
Old 23 September 2018, 12:51   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
..its better than drying out... you can get storm bound and use more than expected.
Aye. I make very particular precautions for "storm bound". This is about half of them...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viber image.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	127005  
Old 23 September 2018, 13:13   #7

Yup .. I can think of nothing worse that running out of fuel in a remote spot.

Rancid sassages ..I could deal with...but Im told dehydration is a terrible way to go. Sadly .. I have to cut down on the alcohol now I’m tea total so I no longer carry the third spare .. it was never enough anyhoo.

I guess I should also mention .. tins of gravy are more volatile than plastic canisters full of fuel ..they tend to explode in a bouncy sea ..so keep them close at hand so you can try saving the remains from flowing into the bilges.

I should perhaps also add ..I gave up carrying rocket flairs at the same time I quit smoking .. they were a health risk in an inflatable tanker .
Old 23 September 2018, 13:27   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
tins of gravy are more volatile than plastic canisters full of fuel ..they tend to explode in a bouncy sea
I discovered this myself on overland adventures - they abraded and failed. Luckily I spotted the early casualties and put the rest "down" humanely.

Failure afloat I encountered first when I met you at Oban. Some cans of gravy burst on passage both from Ireland and also to Belnahua. Luckily I had an auxiliary in the form of a flask of Ardbeg, so all was not lost.

Old 23 September 2018, 15:59   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Thanks very useful. The round Sky trip looked a long way so they would have had to carry quite a lot

Dennis
I think gurnard's fuel consumption is 15% more than mine 25 four stroke vs two stroke 25 my consumption is 4.6 km /Lt on these trips I carried 81lt used 51/52lts leaving a 25% reserve for displacement speed if needed.
Donny Denis was looking at the sack barrow for his engine you got any pics of yours for him
Old 23 September 2018, 17:50   #10

Yup..if this is what you mean Jeff.. I put it on the sack barrow back to front so its “easier”” to fit on the boat. However don’t believe anyone who says its easy moving 50+Kg of engine across a beach on a sack barrow … because its not.

I almost killed myself dragging the barrow backwards on this shore.. I cant push it forwards on a sack barrow only pull it by walking backwards. I slipped and the barrow and OB landed on top of my chest. It knocked the wind out me. I then had a panic moment as I could not get it off me as it pinned me to the ground. The tide was coming in and only a foot from my head when I finally got my breath back and got out from under the barrow.

IMO There is only one easy way to move 50Kg outboards.. keep them on the boat then float the boat on and off the trailer from slipways... that way it is easy for one person to do. ..any other way is difficult

Old 23 September 2018, 18:04   #11

Thanks Donny that is why I have bought my 15 hp 2 stroke at 34kg.

I have much larger boats for slipways but have the T38IE for the sort of adventures you do but I will do smaller ones to start with. Here is the sack barrow I made

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/strong-...0-a-79929.html

Thanks for all the info as ever you are an inspiration
Old 23 September 2018, 18:15   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Yup..if this is what you mean Jeff.. I put it on the sack barrow back to front so its “easier”” to fit on the boat. However don’t believe anyone who says its easy moving 50+Kg of engine across a beach on a sack barrow … because its not.

I almost killed myself dragging the barrow backwards on this shore.. I cant push it forwards on a sack barrow only pull it by walking backwards. I slipped and the barrow and OB landed on top of my chest. It knocked the wind out me. I then had a panic moment as I could not get it off me as it pinned me to the ground. The tide was coming in and only a foot from my head when I finally got my breath back and got out from under the barrow.

IMO There is only one easy way to move 50Kg outboards.. keep them on the boat then float the boat on and off the trailer from slipways... that way it is easy for one person to do. ..any other way is difficult

Yep that's it mate totally agree re weight but Dennis is after a set up he can use with his caravan and knows he will have to accept limitations to use it but solutions like yours will go some way to help.
Old 23 September 2018, 19:05   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I then had a panic moment as I could not get it off me as it pinned me to the ground.
So fair to say then Donnie, that you're personally rated for 15hp but slightly overpowered by 25hp?

Old 23 September 2018, 19:32   #14

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Luckily I had an auxiliary in the form of a flask of Ardbeg, so all was not lost.
Perfect for topping up the batteries should you need to.
Old 23 September 2018, 19:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
So fair to say then Donnie, that you're personally rated for 15hp but slightly overpowered by 25hp?

Nope..only six pack I have comes in tins.. not muscles.. which is why my limit is 23 kg of 6HP on an F Rib for carrying across beaches. Im not too old to need a trailer for it.. yet.

Im certain your set up will do what you want from it BP.. it sounds ideal for your usage.