Old 20 July 2013, 21:12   #1

Length: 3m +
How good is Loch Lomond?

I've just spent the most outstanding day ever on Loch Lomond with my sib ....and family! Obviously the weather played a part(30 at one point) but the facilities and the way it's run surely make it the best inland loch to use in the UK?
My kids are quite young and it's the first time out in the sib but exploring the islands and having a picnic they're now hooked. We'll be using this place for years to come especially when they're big enough to use the ski biscuit!
As I've said facilities are superb, we launched at milorchy bay and the park rangers were great. As I write this post I'm sitting in my caravan looking down on the loch and all I can say is it doesn't get better than this.
Were off to the lake district in two weeks so hoping to get the sib out in derwent, consiston and ullswater....can't wait
Old 20 July 2013, 22:16   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Jabroni,

Quote:
the facilities and the way it's run surely make it the best inland loch to use in the UK?
There is no doubt that the loch is a good place for sibbing (or boating generally), and it is mostly well organised. It can become a bit "the same" though after a few weeks use, and whilst there is some comfort from the enclosed nature of the loch in reality it is still quite possible to experience challenging conditions there in a small boat - so you can't guarantee fun! The other downside to the loch on a day like today is that because it is well run, easy to access and appears safe every man and his dog thinks he can take a boat out there - and there are a few idiots who might just get put off by the added complications of tide, waves, beach launching etc (although our south coast members suggest the clueless appear to manage to get afloat in the solent).

Its a great place to cut your teeth and a good chance to get the kids afloat relatively easily but once you take your first forays a little further west you may find you are less enthused by the loch!
Old 21 July 2013, 08:28   #3

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni View Post
I've just spent the most outstanding day ever on Loch Lomond with my sib ....and family! Obviously the weather played a part(30 at one point) but the facilities and the way it's run surely make it the best inland loch to use in the UK?
My kids are quite young and it's the first time out in the sib but exploring the islands and having a picnic they're now hooked. We'll be using this place for years to come especially when they're big enough to use the ski biscuit!
As I've said facilities are superb, we launched at milorchy bay and the park rangers were great. As I write this post I'm sitting in my caravan looking down on the loch and all I can say is it doesn't get better than this.
Were off to the lake district in two weeks so hoping to get the sib out in derwent, consiston and ullswater....can't wait
sounds great!.........one day!
were off to the lakes (windermere) 19th aug.....cant wait
Old 22 July 2013, 07:20   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni View Post
Like you I love the place. lots of wildlife, great islands , lots of pubs and big enough that you can find your own spot if you want to be on your own.

Glad you had a great time and maybe I will see you out there!