Old 12 September 2014, 22:11   #21

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Imagine the insurance claim form.
Melted a hole in the floor of my pvc boat cooking a bacon butty lol!

I carry a small Coleman Dual Fuel stove and a pan.
Unlike butane burners etc the unleaded petrol burner doesn't blow out in the wind.
I go ashore armed with a frying pan and provisions and rustle up a tasty treat and a nice pot of tea.
Loveing the responses. Didn't realize you could get that type of cooker. Are they any good? Assume they are quicker than the old meths tranja? The gas one I have isn't the best in a breeze. Tend to use the lid as a wind break and tuck it behind bushes. No,, not dry dusty ones!
Old 12 September 2014, 22:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bass Stalker View Post
Loveing the responses. Didn't realize you could get that type of cooker. Are they any good? Assume they are quicker than the old meths tranja? The gas one I have isn't the best in a breeze. Tend to use the lid as a wind break and tuck it behind bushes. No,, not dry dusty ones!
They really are the dogs nuts!
I've got 2 of the things, one of which is over 20 years old. Never let me down and never been blown out even in the winduest of conditions.
Gas is only any good on a still calm day or indoors.
Most of my hill walking buddies have ditched the gas stoves as they are useless at the top of a windy mountain.
Coleman dual fuel stoves will burn Coleman stove fuel or unleaded quite happily.
Hence the dual fuel name.
Very powerful heat given off for when you need to eat fast.
Old 13 September 2014, 03:45   #23

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I have used quite a few varieties of portable cooking stoves while camping including white gas stoves (eg Coleman & whisperlite), ispropyl alcohol stoves made from aluminum pop cans, isobutane stoves and wood stoves.

The Coleman "white gas" do work well in windy and also in very cold conditions (have used them at -25 C ). They've been a mainstay for car campers and powerboat campers for many years. The one drawback is their size and weight (definitely not for backpacking) There are small single burner backpacking stoves (eg whisperlite etc.) that also use naptha and also work equally well in windy and very cold weather, but they obviously won't have the stable base that a Coleman 2 burner stove has.

If I'm out in conditions warmer than 0 C (which covers most, but not all of my SIBbing) and I want something really compact, I'll grab a backpacking stove that screws onto the top of a pressurized isobutane cartridge. Because the fuel is in a pressurized canister, it has no problem running in the windiest conditions (basically like a small handheld blow torch but with a wide circular flame).

The model I have is the MSR pocket rocket, but there are countless dozens of similar designs out there to choose from. The reason I prefer stoves that use pressurized isobutane cartridges is that you don't need to mess about pouring naptha into containers, & priming the containers etc. The drawback is that those containers are not reusable. Again, the backpacking style stoves will limit how large a pan you can cook with.

If I'm in an area where an open fire is ok, I'll just bring a stainless steel grille and prop it across 2 rocks on each side of the fire.
Old 13 September 2014, 06:06   #24

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
When I find I'm too far from a pub, I pull up to the yacht with the most girls and ask if they want some fresh blue fin and lobster.....''I'll sear it and I brought me own wasabi but I don't do Flippin dishs las''.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Local Blue Fin.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	98782  
Old 13 September 2014, 13:29   #25

Town: Burnley
Make: Excel
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard petrol 5HP
Look on the web for "Lotusgrill". I have one which i use on my motorhome and on my small sib. They are a bit dear but once you have one you can carry it about when cooking as the outer shell stays cold. It is a new German design but it only requires a few ounces of fuel in a centre circular container. It also has a small battery fan which allows you to cook within 4 minutes of lighting it. It is not as hot as some barbecues but ideal for bacon, sausage, steak etc.
I place the grill in a small box in my SIB and no heat escapes through the grill base or sides. Once you have finished switch off the fan and the ashes remain self contained in the central steel container. Its brilliant. Oh yes, uses liquid gel lighting fuel on a central plate that the steel container rests on. Very clean and not the least bit messy.
Sorry its long winded but hope it hels
Old 13 September 2014, 14:26   #26

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by claretcass View Post
Look on the web for "Lotusgrill". I have one which i use on my motorhome and on my small sib. They are a bit dear but once you have one you can carry it about when cooking as the outer shell stays cold. It is a new German design but it only requires a few ounces of fuel in a centre circular container. It also has a small battery fan which allows you to cook within 4 minutes of lighting it. It is not as hot as some barbecues but ideal for bacon, sausage, steak etc.
I place the grill in a small box in my SIB and no heat escapes through the grill base or sides. Once you have finished switch off the fan and the ashes remain self contained in the central steel container. Its brilliant. Oh yes, uses liquid gel lighting fuel on a central plate that the steel container rests on. Very clean and not the least bit messy.
Thanks mate found it... but I want a green or black one.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOT_GRILL_FLYER_ETS_Boat-338x508.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	98797  
Old 13 September 2014, 15:35   #27

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: 30hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by claretcass View Post
Superb. Many thanks. Maybe not such a daft idea then with the right cooker. Cheers
Old 13 September 2014, 23:11   #28

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Coleman Dual Fuel stove are a great little stove's I've got one & use it's when out camping with the boat & also use in the van over winter for warming up soup 👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2014, 15:30   #29

Quote:
Superb. Many thanks. Maybe not such a daft idea then with the right cooker. Cheers
You are still dealing with a device that has a flame while extremely close to gasoline seepage.
Old 14 September 2014, 16:08   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
You just can't beat a nice hot bacon butty when out fishing though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
You are still dealing with a device that has a flame while extremely close to gasoline seepage.
I'm with you on that... I'm sure you could manage with something like this:

or maybe better still one of the tiny flasks and just keep the hot bacon in and the roll separate.
Old 14 September 2014, 16:19   #31

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
I'm with Polly on this one. I used to wrap bacon or sausages in foil, place them in a freezer bag and stick them in the flask with boiling hot water. By the time you are ready for the rolls you can have a nice cup of tea or coffee with them and you don't have to worry about any errant wave resulting in you melting a hole in the bottom of the boat.

Old 16 September 2014, 06:10   #32

Just to be sure this horse is thoroughly beaten: