Old 23 July 2019, 14:21   #1

Town: Ashford
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Honwave V floor 2.7 or Excel SD 2.6?

Hey just trying to put together my first SIB setup and I’m hoping to get a little advice.

Already have a Honda BF5 but am not sure whether to go for a Honwave 2.7 Air V Floor or Excel SD260

Excel seem to be a pretty decent option but I’ve read some comments that the Keel is not as good as it would be on the Honwave V floor.

What would you guys go for is it was your money? Handling wise would the excel be as good as the Honwave?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Old 23 July 2019, 15:20   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi and welcome to the forum Dan.

I'm not a big fan of what I call the flat air floors like the Excel design but personal opinion at that size the floor type won't be a crucial factor. Just pick on price, availability, colours, features and dealer backup etc.

David
Old 23 July 2019, 19:12   #3

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Well I would stick with the Honwave I have had some bad experience with Excel and after sales service is shocking I have been hearing this from a few people now and they are a small business but the Honda Honwave is world wide and after sales service is spot on I have had both brands and would always go Honwave first choice from now on but you pay your money and take your chance good luck in your choice when you purchase it HH
Old 23 July 2019, 19:34   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
We bought one of the very first excell boats that were brought into the country about 15 years ago it saw use on beach holidays with the kids then as a tender for our cruiser
It was a great little boat and never realy showed its age.

We did have an issue in the beginning where the screws holding the wood support across the transom above the air floor came out because they were too short. They punctured the air floor but we got a new air floor sent foc pretty quickly
I'd definitely buy another
Old 23 July 2019, 19:51   #5

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum Dan.

I'm not a big fan of what I call the flat air floors like the Excel design but personal opinion at that size the floor type won't be a crucial factor. Just pick on price, availability, colours, features and dealer backup etc.

David
I agree wholeheartedly with these comments. As an ex-Excel owner I had no complaints about the quality and conversely I hear Honwave are having quality issues of late. I did like the fact that the flat floor with sausage keel acted as a bilge keeping stuff on the deck dry. I had no issues with the MD Terry, thoroughly helpful but then again I didn't test customer service out with a warranty claim.
Old 23 July 2019, 20:02   #6

I have had very bad experience with Terry as lately with warranty issues this is still on going and has now affected my confidence in this product I can’t go into much more detail at the moment as the case is on going but once sorted will post outcome but it has now affected me to the point that I just nearly decided to give up boating with this experience it is sad when it makes a customer feel like this but I hope it doesn’t put you off buy Excel you might be fine with your purchase with no issues HH
Old 23 July 2019, 20:42   #7

Town: Ashford
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 60
Thanks for all of your replies and advice it sounds like Honwave might be the way to go and there’s a dealer fairly local to me too
Old 23 July 2019, 21:00   #8

Kentsib I had two warranty claims with Honda both where sort in three days with no issues but like I say only when you make a claim does the true test of a dealer show there hand unfortunately at the moment Excel are not performing very well this might change but three days I was promised they would call to discuss my options I have had to call multiple times to get answers and the response was not good so far HH
Old 15 October 2019, 08:37   #9

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Kentsib I had two warranty claims with Honda both where sort in three days with no issues but like I say only when you make a claim does the true test of a dealer show there hand unfortunately at the moment Excel are not performing very well this might change but three days I was promised they would call to discuss my options I have had to call multiple times to get answers and the response was not good so far HH
Hello Highland Haggis, an Excel is on my shortlist to buy, but am wary about after sales service. Did they resolve your problem to your satisfaction?
Old 15 October 2019, 10:59   #10

Yeah Terry and I made up and problem was resolved they are a very good boat you should be happy with your purchase HH
Old 15 October 2019, 11:27   #11

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Yeah Terry and I made up and problem was resolved they are a very good boat you should be happy with your purchase HH
Good to know, many thanks
Old 20 October 2019, 17:32   #12

Town: Sutton coldfield
Boat name: Excel Virage
Make: Excel
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Excel Boats

Hello RiB Net members. This is actually the first post that I have made on this forum. I do see posts occasionally and pleased to see all are generally positive and I do favour comparisons from the many enthusiastic boating folk.

This thread with negative posts from Highland Haggis was brought to my attention last week via email from an Excel owner, he was concerned and asked if i was aware. I was shocked to see his first negative post on this thread goes back to July 2019 yet in August he is promoting Excel !!

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/one-mor...ion-82154.html

These posts from Highland Haggis are un-necessary and will reflect badly on the Excel brand. His latest post that “we have made up” is nonsense.

My post is long but i feel necessary to put the matter in perspective.

It concerns a Vanguard 435 that was built for him to his specification and has an issue with planing speed. The boat has a lot of gear and 120 litres of fuel in 4 tanks. We agreed that the boat would be tested locally, providing different ratio propellers etc, in October following my visit to the factory last week, where this issue was discussed along with production plans for 2020. I was due to contact him before the end of October.

His comments of resolving within three days and many calls are simply untrue. He did in fact call me last week, I advised that i was at the factory and he seemed surprised. How strange. His most recent post is around the same time.

He was due to visit the Southampton Boat show where i had made complimentary tickets available. He did not arrive and I tried calling him a number of times throughout September but he had gone off the radar. He had never indicated of his upset and that he would be posting detrimental comments.

We have very few warranty issues. I do monitor all personally and to date after 16 years i believe Excel has a exemplary record in after sales service. We are one of the market leaders and certainly have the most comprehensive and diverse range of inflatable boats. Many more models than any of the competition.

It is unlikely that this member was to give up boating as he claims as he has 3 or 4 boats and in fact has another bespoke build on order with us. A Virago 470 RiB that is complete and awaiting his collection.

Posted by Terry Wright of Excel Boats