AP3

Town: Marlow
Boat name: Merry Mudder
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 s/s
Honwave T38-IE2 person capacity query.

Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a Honwave T38-IE2, and a Mariner 9.9hp motor. The capacity is rated at 5+1 persons. Is this flexible?

The rated load is 950kgs - That's some pretty heavy people, even given the motor's weight!

Can I squeeze 6 people and a Springer puppy on without causing myself any issues?

It all just arrived today on a pallet. Managed to get it all into the garage on my own, and the motor onto a dolly I made, but nearly had a heart attack lifting it all!

Cheers,
AP
Old 05 September 2018, 17:10   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum. Great SIB and very suitable for one or two up with the modest 9.9hp (which is what I have now on a different 3.8m).

Even 5 folks will be pretty crowded and bog the motor down to displacement speeds. 6 plus a dog is pushing it... unless for a short river trip.
Old 05 September 2018, 17:36   #3

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
My valiant rib Dr 490 is rated to circa 1000kg but I find it becomes very walloy if the payload exceeds 650kg
Old 05 September 2018, 21:39   #4
AP3

Thanks for the welcome, and the replies. The boat is for plodding up and down the Thames, but hopefully with enough power to move quite well loaded. If I load up as above, will the boat fall to bits, or just go slower?

Given the EA limit is 5mph (IIRC), I don't need a lot of power!

Cheers,
AP
Old 07 September 2018, 19:06   #5

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP3 View Post
Thanks for the welcome, and the replies. The boat is for plodding up and down the Thames, but hopefully with enough power to move quite well loaded. If I load up as above, will the boat fall to bits, or just go slower?

Given the EA limit is 5mph (IIRC), I don't need a lot of power!

Cheers,
AP
Just go slower. They are very strong
Old 08 September 2018, 08:34   #6
AP3

Thanks Bigplumbs.

We went out yesterday, and it was a success, of sorts.

Only 4 on board, and boat went up really easily with the Bravo pump, although I think I need to cut off the existing connector, and put it directly onto the HR adapter.

Engine went on fine, though I couldn't figure out how to tilt it (turns out you have to be in forward gear), but with the launching wheels we got it into the water.

Flooded the engine trying to start it, as I forgot to open the fuel tank vent, so started on full throttle (and remembered to use the throttle only button) and off she went.

Got to the first lock and quickly realised we'd need more rope and some fenders, so up to Harleyford to Espar to line their pockets.

The rest of the day went well, until I managed to leave a rope in the water, and got stuck in a lock with the rope wrapped around the prop. Easily unwound thankfully, and no apparent damage.

So, an adventurous first trip, and lots of lessons learnt!

Looking forward to trying with 5 up, then we'll have a go with 6 up
Old 08 September 2018, 08:40   #7

Quote:
Thanks Bigplumbs.

We went out yesterday, and it was a success, of sorts.

Only 4 on board, and boat went up really easily with the Bravo pump, although I think I need to cut off the existing connector, and put it directly onto the HR adapter.

Engine went on fine, though I couldn't figure out how to tilt it (turns out you have to be in forward gear), but with the launching wheels we got it into the water.

Flooded the engine trying to start it, as I forgot to open the fuel tank vent, so started on full throttle (and remembered to use the throttle only button) and off she went.

Got to the first lock and quickly realised we'd need more rope and some fenders, so up to Harleyford to Espar to line their pockets.

The rest of the day went well, until I managed to leave a rope in the water, and got stuck in a lock with the rope wrapped around the prop. Easily unwound thankfully, and no apparent damage.

So, an adventurous first trip, and lots of lessons learnt!

Looking forward to trying with 5 up, then we'll have a go with 6 up
Well done and indeed adventures. I have other sibs but am about to buy the T38ie 2 which I know not the difference is over the first T38ie. I have a question however. I assume your T38ie came with only one seat (what a rip off that is) but were the glued on fixings on the boat for the 2nd seat

Thanks

Dennis
Old 08 September 2018, 08:45   #8

I've been trying to think why Mariner have made this engine so tilt is in FWD only. Even after several trips I forget as it seems illogical.

That throttle only button is so useful compared to the older models without it.
Old 08 September 2018, 12:21   #9
AP3

Hi Dennis,

Yes there are fixings for both seat positions, so can just buy (or make) another seat!

Cheers,
Andy
Old 08 September 2018, 13:08   #10

Quote:
Hi Dennis,

Yes there are fixings for both seat positions, so can just buy (or make) another seat!

Cheers,
Andy
Thanks

Dennis
Old 08 September 2018, 17:34   #11
AP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I've been trying to think why Mariner have made this engine so tilt is in FWD only. Even after several trips I forget as it seems illogical.

That throttle only button is so useful compared to the older models without it.
I read somewhere that it stops the engine kicking in reverse, but in neutral it makes no sense at all.

I still have no idea what the tilt stop knob actually does, because it definitely doesn't seem to lock it in the "full up" position as the manual says.

Also you're supposed to be able to tilt to shallow water drive in neutral, which obviously doesn't work.

I wonder if it would let you lift in in gear and with the prop spinning? That would be a bad idea, and I'm not about to try it!
Old 08 September 2018, 18:55   #12

Oh yes the tilt lock is to prevent kicking up in reverse. The bit I was referring to as not understanding was that... they have used this gears on tiller and tilt lock arrangement for 20yrs or so and all the models I've had from 1997-2006 were designed to tilt in neutral.

As current models will tilt in forward gear actually when at idle coming into a slip or beach yes I do tilt it up 2 or 3 notches while running which doesn't break surface with the prop. Otherwise you have to stop the engine... put in in forward... lift to shallow posn... back in neutral... restart.

I wonder if the manual is incorrect. At the top of page 42 it says to enable tilting to set transom trim angle you have to stop engine and put into forward... and on page 43 it says to fully tilt say for travelling you have to stop the engine and put into forward.

Yet at the bottom of page 42 they say to select a shallow drive position with engine stopped shift into neutral.

First I can't see how... if the first two operations I mention need it in forward... the shallow water posns could be selected in neutral as it is all the same mechanism/linkage.

As if to confirm it is a printing error mine will not move from fully down at all while in neutral... it has to be in forward for all three operations.

I'm going to email the help address on Monday and ask for clarification. Either the manual is wrong or both ours have come out of the factory incorrectly set up. It's an easy adjustment to make but I want to have it how Mercury say it should be so not fiddling at the moment.

My tilt lock knob does hold it from coming back down... but see ** below.

**This "auto" tilt/lock mechanism is a great design but it can initially confuse. To lock it fully up... with the tilt lock knob in off posn raise the leg until the last "clack" then engage the tilt lock and it will stay there. But if you lift it above this "clack" posn even a fraction it thinks you wanted to let it fully down and by-passes the lock stop going right back down as if faulty.
Old 09 September 2018, 09:13   #13
AP3

Quote:
Oh yes the tilt lock is to prevent kicking up in reverse. The bit I was referring to as not understanding was that... they have used this gears on tiller and tilt lock arrangement for 20yrs or so and all the models I've had from 1997-2006 were designed to tilt in neutral.

As current models will tilt in forward gear actually when at idle coming into a slip or beach yes I do tilt it up 2 or 3 notches while running which doesn't break surface with the prop. Otherwise you have to stop the engine... put in in forward... lift to shallow posn... back in neutral... restart.

I wonder if the manual is incorrect. At the top of page 42 it says to enable tilting to set transom trim angle you have to stop engine and put into forward... and on page 43 it says to fully tilt say for travelling you have to stop the engine and put into forward.

Yet at the bottom of page 42 they say to select a shallow drive position with engine stopped shift into neutral.

First I can't see how... if the first two operations I mention need it in forward... the shallow water posns could be selected in neutral as it is all the same mechanism/linkage.

As if to confirm it is a printing error mine will not move from fully down at all while in neutral... it has to be in forward for all three operations.

I'm going to email the help address on Monday and ask for clarification. Either the manual is wrong or both ours have come out of the factory incorrectly set up. It's an easy adjustment to make but I want to have it how Mercury say it should be so not fiddling at the moment.

My tilt lock knob does hold it from coming back down... but see ** below.

**This "auto" tilt/lock mechanism is a great design but it can initially confuse. To lock it fully up... with the tilt lock knob in off posn raise the leg until the last "clack" then engage the tilt lock and it will stay there. But if you lift it above this "clack" posn even a fraction it thinks you wanted to let it fully down and by-passes the lock stop going right back down as if faulty.
I also think the manual must be wrong. Let us know what they come back with.

So am I right in thinking that if you engage the tilt lock at the last clack, that it than can't be lifted higher to release? That would make sense.
Old 09 September 2018, 09:34   #14

Yes that's it... it's just a small block on the other side of the knob that prevents you lifting the leg which in turn would have allowed the horizontal pin to spring into the track that allows it to drop down to the lowest extent of the trim posn you've selected.

It pays to grease all the moving/sliding parts of this mechanism a couple of times a year as it becomes very erratic once there is any resistance to things sliding/dropping into place.

I use grease on a small paintbrush to avoid risk to fingers.
Old 09 September 2018, 12:11   #15

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Quote:
**This "auto" tilt/lock mechanism is a great design but it can initially confuse.
This is the same as Tohatsu 9.8 4 strokes that I'm given every time I charter a yacht for summer hols. Tilt also only works with forward gear engaged. I got used to it after the first week :
Old 09 September 2018, 12:40   #16

That's interesting. When I was doing my usual forensic investigation before buying this latest new Mariner 9.9 I downloaded the Tohatsu 9.8 manual from their website to compare knowing they were 95% the same OB. That says they can be tilted in neutral and forward but I now see the manual copyright is 2007 so may not reflect the very latest design.
Old 09 September 2018, 12:55   #17

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Quote:
I now see the manual copyright is 2007 so may not reflect the very latest design.
I think these Tohatsu engines were from either 2005 or 2006. Long shafts for a sailing boat, also converted to remotes so you don't hang out of the transom in a marina - but that shouldn't matter