Old 25 September 2015, 21:04   #1

Honwave t38 damage

[IMG][/IMG]
Hi everyone
Looking for some advice on my damaged honwave, I have contacted an inflatable repair centre and they have told me they would do it for their standard service charge of £98.00 including vat.
A friend of mine told me to find out what the proper adhesive is and to do it myself, im tempted but want to know if anyone else here has done a repair like this to their sib before and whats required? Or even better someone here that does this sort of work all the time and can honestly say whether its a job for the pros or something someone like myself can do with ease.

Any advise would be much appreciated
Regards James
Old 25 September 2015, 21:09   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
James how did this happen? It looks like failure rather than damage??

Have you tried pulling at all the other seams really hard?
Old 25 September 2015, 21:20   #3

No I haven't I will have a go at that tomorrow and let you know, to be honest I dont know how it happened, I only noticed it when I stood it up to clean it could have been like this for a while for all I know.
I have had the boat about 4 years from new so its out of warranty, apart from this it's in very good nick, I only remember one incident where I struck a rock out at sea that clipped the prop on outboard, and one rough beach landing, whether it caught and tore on something then, but I can't be certain because like I said I've only just noiced it.
Old 25 September 2015, 21:40   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I ask as it has the look of glue failure which can happen at "X" years old out of the blue. Often starting in small places but sometimes in more if you really give them a good pull or see if you can push in a soft blunt plastic spatula.

Is it 4ys old by the date on the serial no. plate... assuming Honwave have such a numbering system?

If that was the only place and if you're good with neat craft/DIY type work an outlay of about £20 on glue and cleaning solvent would be loads more than you needed to do this.

Proper prep and getting all the old glue off is crucial... as is warm dry weather which you might have missed this year unless you do it in the living room!
Old 26 September 2015, 07:49   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Definitely looks like glue failure. Unusual in such a young boat. Is the other side fine? Easy to fix but weather now is no good, as above you will have to do it inside in a warm fan heated room.
Old 26 September 2015, 14:44   #6

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I had a very similar failure on an early "Honda Marine" T40.

It was a 2004 and the failure happened in 2010. It was an entire seem around 40cm long that went. Ive had a lot of Zodiacs and I am well used to the usual issues with old glue, but this was different. It was pretty strange, the piece that had failed had no stickyness at all, but the pieces either side were rock solid.

I glued it up with 2 pack and had no further issues.
Old 28 September 2015, 21:40   #7

Town: brist
Boat name: honwave
Make: honda
Engine: mariner 2 stroke 25h
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68155. Had the same!!!!But this repair I did has held well so far......
Old 01 October 2015, 18:08   #8

I can't make out for certain the part of the boat that came undone based on the picture you provided, but, I have used a 2 part adhesive for fixing small leaks, tears, etc on my inflatable and the adhesive has held air so far every time. I'm using a brand called Polymarine, 2 part adhesive which costs around $30 US or around 20 Pounds. The good thing about the 2 part is that once you open it you can continue to use it for other instances down the line (for how long, I'm not sure though). I've had the kit for about 4 months now and have used it 4 times already. It takes about 48 hours to cure, per the instructions, and about 7 days for full strength adhesion. Hope this helps if you give something like this a shot. I'll add that their are other 2 part adhesives that I've heard work well; just don't use a 1 part glue that comes out of a tube - that won't get the job done long term.