Old 21 January 2014, 07:15   #21

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
If you're buying new the Suzuki DF15a or DF20a may be worth consideration. Both weigh in at 44kg and have the benefit of EFI.
Old 21 January 2014, 07:25   #22

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
For info, the Suzuki DF15 4-stroke short shaft is 44kg. I owned one of these with a Suzumar 360. It is virtually the same as the Honwave 3.5, apart from the tube cones, hence the extra 10cm.

The two were a perfect match but even with the relatively lighter weight, the motor wasn't exactly portable. Getting it from the garage to the car was okay, but much further was a struggle.

Just a suggestion:if you go down the route of carrying rather than trailering, inflate the boat as near to your car as possible, mount the motor and use transom wheels to get to your launch site.

I have owned the Suzumar 360 with Suzuki 15, a Honwave 3.8 with Honda 20 and a Lodestar 320 with Yamaha 8, and ended up trailering all of them.

Hope this helps rather than adding to the confusion!
Old 21 January 2014, 10:24   #23

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

we sell a lot of these for fishing ( ali floor models) and I would get launching wheels and and the 10hp as a package as you get extra discount. Dont get me wrong the Tohatsu is a great engine but the price difference is minimal if bought as a package so the Honda 15hp would be my choice.
Old 21 January 2014, 11:12   #24

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
You may want to visit a dealer and try lifting a 15hp 4s before you buy one.

Chris
Best post!
Old 21 January 2014, 15:10   #25

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I get my (36KG?) zodiac air floored 3.6m fastroller the plane effortlessly, can do just under 15kts and maintain plane easily at 1/2 throttle with 2 adults and a child plus day tripping kit on board all powered by a 10HP mariner 4 stroke.

Best of all, I can launch and recover it myself (just) up a long launch ramp with mud at bottom as its fitted with transom wheels. The boat is inflated about 100 yards from the ramp and pushed/pulled with all kit and engine aboard although I do stop briefly during trip. A younger person would probably manage in one go.

It is nice to have a bit of help putting the outboard in the boot of the car at the end of a long day, but doable without. I have a trolly for outboard when wheeling around.
Old 21 January 2014, 18:40   #26

Hi all, I've just bought a secondhand honda 15hp and they are very heavy to lift. I'm 6ft4, go to the gym and I struggle. It's not just the weight, it's the awkward shape.

Personally unless you are very strong, I'd stick with the 10.
Old 22 January 2014, 17:40   #27

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Absolutely awkward shape, because its weight is all at one end and you have to switch between one and two arms for lifts. I can carry a 5hp 4 stroke at 25kgs some distance on my hip a bit like I used to with the kids. My previous 15hp 2 stroke at 34kgs, I could carry carry with carry handle with locked arm, but lifting and bending arm was not fun. In essence you are doing a one arm biceps curl with 34kgs. I would not consider lifting a 15hp fourstroke from car to boat and back again on a regular basis. Ok if fixed and on a trailer.
Old 22 January 2014, 18:25   #28

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Agreed with all said ,give one a lift they are very awkward. Launch wheels are a must and a 15 two stroke would be manageable most sibbers i know prefer them as they are lighter and have no transportation issues,loads of good advice in previous threads
Old 23 January 2014, 16:47   #29

Town: cardiff
Length: no boat
thanks for all the replies, i think i will be buying a t35 with a 10hp honda outboard… will this be okay for mostly calm water fishing and will i be easily be able to get back in if i am in rough weather or going up an estuary with a strong current?

thanks all jack.
Old 23 January 2014, 17:18   #30

Town: Newcastle emlyn
Boat name: Bass nymph
Make: honwave 3.5
Engine: 15hp parsun 4 stroke
T35

No problem with that package as long as you watch the weather. I see your in Cardiff area, I know it's a bit of a trek but Milford haven is great for sibs as it's sheltered from most wind directions and has lots of good fishing grounds. I go there when open sea is too rough for my honwave. Good luck with your purchase.ps I just know that when you get used to the honwave that your gonna want a bigger engine as she will take it with ease
Old 23 January 2014, 22:06   #31

honwave 35ae

I'm onto my third season with my honwave 35ae and can't fault it.
I am able to weld and fabricate metal and have made various accessories for the honwave, including trailer fish finder brackets and rod holders.
I have a tohatsu 2011 20 HP 4 stroke and a Suzuki 2011 2.5hp.
I have been getting more adventurous lately and feel that I need an auxiliary engine queue the addition of the Suzuki as backup.
The transom is too narrow to mount both at once so I'm currently working on a metal bracket to mount the Suzuki on the outside of the tubes.
I have gleaned a lot of good ideas over the past few years from this site and some from my own imagination.
Once the weather picks up and the honwave comes out of hibernation I will post photos of the honwave and the add ons should they be of any benefit to fellow sibbers.
With the best will in the world one may think that they can assemble these boats and add heavy engines to them at the waters edge, as time progresses you get hacked off inflating, assembling deflating packing unpacking washing and repacking.
Most people will move onto transom wheels and alas the dreaded trailer!!!
Old 23 January 2014, 22:42   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I'm onto my third season with my honwave 35ae and can't fault it.
I am able to weld and fabricate metal and have made various accessories for the honwave, including trailer fish finder brackets and rod holders.
I have a tohatsu 2011 20 HP 4 stroke and a Suzuki 2011 2.5hp.
I have been getting more adventurous lately and feel that I need an auxiliary engine queue the addition of the Suzuki as backup.
The transom is too narrow to mount both at once so I'm currently working on a metal bracket to mount the Suzuki on the outside of the tubes.
I have gleaned a lot of good ideas over the past few years from this site and some from my own imagination.
Once the weather picks up and the honwave comes out of hibernation I will post photos of the honwave and the add ons should they be of any benefit to fellow sibbers.
With the best will in the world one may think that they can assemble these boats and add heavy engines to them at the waters edge, as time progresses you get hacked off inflating, assembling deflating packing unpacking washing and repacking.
Most people will move onto transom wheels and alas the dreaded trailer!!!
Further to my original post I would like to add......... when the sea turns rough its always good to have a big engine to push against strong tides and big waves.
I had a Plastimo 3.3 with Johnson 2.5HP for three years prior to acquiring the Honwave three years ago. This set up never let me down. In rough strong tidal conditions it was slow returning to port, but I doubt I would have wanted to go much faster at times, nevertheless an extra bit of ooomph would not have gone amiss should it be required.
Last summer I foolishly ran out of petrol four hundred yards from port. Unfortunately for me and my old man there was a strong tide receeding out from to sea. Coupled with a wind blowing from shore out to sea we were unable to row against the tide/wind for even 400yards.
I got out the spare petrol can and began filling/priming the tank/engine. It took afew minutes or so to get the engine up and running. Despite the fact that my old boy was rowing furiously against the elements we drifted quarter of a mile out to sea!
I carry flares and a vhf radio and wear self righting life jackets etc etc.
This outlined to me that a set of oars is not a back up system of propulsion for all conditions.
In many instances the elements will not conspire against so much and you will be able to row ashore to safety without calling mayday!
I have used my 2.5HP Suzuki as the main engine on my Honwave 35ae and it really toiled on one occasion against a strong refeeding tide at the Mull of Gallowa. This area is renowned for strong tidal surges. Nevertheless it pushed through it and got me to port. Therefore I see thus as the minimum back up that I would be happy going to see with on my SIB.
This highlighted to me the need for an auxiliary engine regardless of how far from shore you are going!
Once i have fabricated my auxiliary engine mount I will post pictures.