Old 17 August 2018, 07:26   #1

Town: Teesside
Length: 3m +
Honwave showroom

Hi
I am new to boating and I am looking to purchase a new honwave T38, is there a dealer in the north east that has them an show?
I am from Teesside and I don't mind traveling as long as it is not too far.

Thanks
Tony..
Old 17 August 2018, 09:33   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
https://www.tridentuk.com/gb/engines...flatables.html

You could ring these people. Their address is NE, but I don't know if they have a showroom.
Old 17 August 2018, 09:43   #3

I spent a bit of time searching. Most of the dealers seem to be either online or down south.

The Honwave is a wel respected brand, part of Honda. I had owned 2 inflatables and was long term boatless until my wife saw a Honwave and approved. In the end, I bought Zodiac because I particularly like boarded floors, but that's me.

The Honwave is a smart, seaworthy boat, and a respectable choice: a boat rather than a cheap toy.

With the big brands, you are unlikely to find a boat that is no good at all. It's only the el cheapo ones that are awful. The hull is often the cheapest part of the package anyway, compared to the engine.

The one thing I didn't like about the Honwave was the V air floor. It makes it a great boat, but at the sacrifice of a flat "deck" to put stuff on. I felt I could see boxes and bags all migrating to the centre of the V. Also, and very much a personal thing, I was not in favour of an air floor. I can't offer a sensible reason.
Old 17 August 2018, 09:59   #4

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
Depending how far you want to travel Liverpool Power Boats have a couple of Honwaves in the showroom
Old 17 August 2018, 10:16   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Trident do have a show room. Not sure if there will be any honwaves in it. If they do I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t have a wide selection - they take up a lot of space and probably don’t sell that many compared to the value of other stuff they can squeeze on the same floor area.

Personally I’d have no qualms about buying a honwave unseen. The questions will be floor- probably not obvious the pros/cons on the show room, and size bigger is always better except when lifting it in/out your car or storing it! You can probably mock up the size with a duvet and pillows in the house for estimating how many people!

If I was planning to store deflated I’d go airfloor every time. If there is really an issue with stopping kit moving around the long distance sib cruisers here will have a solution.
Old 17 August 2018, 12:41   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum Tony.

I'd agree with the comments above and say that asking questions on here relative to your use, crew size and travelling arrangements will tell you more about the model than most dealers could.

Was there any particular reason you want to see one in the flesh? I am an ex-Honwave owner and hold them in high regard. In many ways they are equal to Zodiac and at half the cost or less.

David
Old 17 August 2018, 12:52   #7

Hi, thanks all for the replies it looks like I have made my mind up anyway. The reason behind wanting to see it in the flesh is mainly the size, I think I have watched every YouTube video on the T38, but when I stride it out on the floor it looks huge. It will be split between carrying 2 adults an possibly a dog, and 4 adults and fishing gear.
After again lots of research I narrowed the engine choice between the Honda 20hp and the Suzuki 20hp, I am leaning more towards the Suzuki due to its more modern EFI engine. I had also read the Honda has had some instances of timing pulley failure.

Tony
Old 17 August 2018, 13:07   #8

Well yes huge in terms of in the living room but you will appreciate the size when at sea compared to a smaller SIB.

Re engines also consider the new Tohatsu and Mercury 20s which are now efi models too.

As we've often said on here proximity to a decent dealer for servicing to keep the warranty up is a big factor with OBs.
Old 17 August 2018, 21:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toenee12345 View Post
Hi, thanks all for the replies it looks like I have made my mind up anyway. The reason behind wanting to see it in the flesh is mainly the size, I think I have watched every YouTube video on the T38, but when I stride it out on the floor it looks huge. It will be split between carrying 2 adults an possibly a dog, and 4 adults and fishing gear.
After again lots of research I narrowed the engine choice between the Honda 20hp and the Suzuki 20hp, I am leaning more towards the Suzuki due to its more modern EFI engine. I had also read the Honda has had some instances of timing pulley failure.

Tony
I used to get 3 adults and 3 full sets of scuba gear (tanks, buoyancy, weightbelts, fins...) plus an anchor box and other kit in a 340 and take it on the sea.

A 380 would carry 5 people (which means 5 people comfortably in reasonable conditions) so I guess it would easily carry 4 people and a sensible amount of fishing tackle.

The basic rule of inflatables is you always want a smaller one when your transporting and storing it, and you always want a bigger one when you're using it. It's always a compromise.
Old 18 August 2018, 07:02   #10

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
there's a good place for mercury servicing in Newcastle
Storrar Marine | Industrial & Marine Rigging, Sewing, Sail Loft, Yacht & Powerboat Chandlery | Newcastle Upon Tyne | UK

I had a honwave 3.2 airdeck and was more than happy with the quality of construction although my first one had to go back because of a faulty air floor it was exchanged without fuss and the replacement was perfect
Old 18 August 2018, 07:22   #11

Thanks for that beerbelly, the choice for the boat now looks like it was the easy part. finding an outboard that has good reviews for reliability, not too heavy, with a service centre reasonably close by, seams to be the hardest part. I think living in this part of the country I am going to have to travel for servicing, hopefully not too far.

It seams easy enough to by an engine online and have it delivered, but I am not sure if I would get the same service from a local dealer if I haven't purchased the engine originally from them.

Tony..
Old 18 August 2018, 08:33   #12

Re OBs.

Yep I would hesitate to buy mail order and then expect to be at the head of the queue taking it to a local dealer for warranty/service work.

Weight... I think Suzuki/Tohatsu/Mercury all around 45kg or less now and efi. Honda, Mariner** and Yamaha heavier nearer 50-52kg still with carbs.

**Mercury and Mariner are usually the same OBs with different brand logos/colours so I wonder if Mariner may well soon do the lighter efi model.

Reliability... Some folks have their favourites but in truth all these mainstream brands are broadly equal. Hondas have had this timing belt pulley issue but once known it is easily checked at routines services. Probably the biggest threat to all brands is modern fuels and the potential for gum/water problems. However keep to fresh fuel and use a stabiliser then this will become a non-issue.

Dealers... You have a nearby Mariner dealer... Newcastle I think for Mercury and Yamaha... Suzuki a 40ml run to Lynch at Morpeth... Tohatsu one in Hartlepool and another Seaton Carew.

So for a combination of dealer proximity, light weight, modern efi and reliability seems Tohatsu might be the choice??
Old 18 August 2018, 08:44   #13

Thanks fenlander for the information.

I have googled Tohatsu dealers around Teeside but the ones you mention in Hartlepool and Seaton Carew are not shown, do you have their details?

Tony..
Old 18 August 2018, 09:52   #14

The info was from Tohatsu's own website as below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tohatsu dealers HPL.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	126408  
Old 18 August 2018, 09:59   #15

Thanks fenlander, not sure what map I was looking at but they weren't down on it.
I have emailed the Hartlepool company asking them about the supply and service. Unfortunately CTC, which using my doorstep, is no longer there.
Thanks again for your assistance, I'm not sure why I couldn't find it originally.
Tony..
Old 18 August 2018, 10:20   #16

No problem.

If nothing else the new efi Tohatsu 20 isn't very well represented on the forum yet so we could do with a test pilot!
Old 18 August 2018, 11:48   #17

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by toenee12345 View Post
Thanks fenlander, not sure what map I was looking at but they weren't down on it.
I have emailed the Hartlepool company asking them about the supply and service. Unfortunately CTC, which using my doorstep, is no longer there.
Thanks again for your assistance, I'm not sure why I couldn't find it originally.
Tony..
ctc are still in business but he moves premises more regularly than I change socks . there currently at riverside park road in av dawsons wharf but I wouldn't bother looking them up
Old 18 August 2018, 19:43   #18

Town: Consett
Length: no boat
As mentioned, Trident in Gateshead definately have a honwave on display.....but only the 2.7.
I have the 3.2 and its great....
Old 21 August 2018, 08:53   #19

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Southampton boat show coming soon why not have a trip down south to view several
Old 25 August 2018, 04:57   #20

Well, I ended up ordering a T38 and launch wheels which got delivered yesterday. After a lot of searching for information and reviews on 20hp outboards I eventually ordered a Suzuki DS20SA that I am collecting next week.
Well this weekends job is to inflate the boat, fit the wheels and make an outboard motor stand.
Hopefully in the coming weekends a few camping trips over to the lakes to run the engine in before going to Scotland to have a go in the sea.

Tony..