Old 04 January 2016, 07:00   #21

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Not sure I'd be happy with a repair under warranty, a brand new boat shouldn't require 'repair' before it's even touched the water!

If on the other hand they were to repair and knock 20% off I'd go for that ;-)

Old 04 January 2016, 07:18   #22

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Dave

Be genuinely interested to know why the tape needs stitching then cutting when the boats are made??

Old 04 January 2016, 07:32   #23

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Not sure I'd be happy with a repair under warranty, a brand new boat shouldn't require 'repair' before it's even touched the water!

If on the other hand they were to repair and knock 20% off I'd go for that ;-)
It's not really a repair. They factory did not sufficiently wet the adhesive out to the edges. It would take a dealer about 15 min to fix that little unglued spot.

It'd be the equivalent if you bought a car and the headliner was peeled down a bit. They aren't going to discount the car 20% because of a spot of peeled headliner. They're going to fix the problem and give it back to you.
Old 04 January 2016, 07:47   #24

OK - maybe they're not going to knock 20% off... but I'm well within my rights to a replacement as technically it is faulty:

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have an early right to reject goods that are unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described and get a full refund.
But this right is limited to 30 days from the date of purchase of your product.
However, this right doesn’t apply to faulty digital content.

If that's the case, factor in shipping costs to the dealer, covering return costs to shop, labour to swap the transom wheels over, Honda's internal costs, repairing the boat which is now second hand, depreciation on said boat, etc... 20% would probably be cheaper to them ;-)
Old 04 January 2016, 08:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
It'd be the equivalent if you bought a car and the headliner was peeled down a bit. They aren't going to discount the car 20% because of a spot of peeled headliner. They're going to fix the problem and give it back to you.
I'd argue that a seam is structural, not cosmetic and therefore not really in the realms of your example. Where else have they not wet the glue out to the edges and it's ready to leave me wetter than planned?

Would you accept a new car with a broken body to chassis weld no matter how small?
Old 04 January 2016, 08:13   #26
Trade member

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Dave

Be genuinely interested to know why the tape needs stitching then cutting when the boats are made??
The tape will be glued to the tubes firat and then the floor bonded to the tubes and tape, Stitching the tape holds it in the folded position making the job easier. The stiching would then be cut after the floor was glued in place.
Honwave have probably started doing this to speed up the manufacturing, older boats that dont have this probably had the tape temporarily glued in the folded position and the glue would then have been cleaned off. Takes longer, costs more but cosmetically looks better.
Old 04 January 2016, 08:20   #27

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Thanks Dave that makes sense.

Having owned an 18yr old Aerotec and now a new one bought last year you can see the small changes made to construction over the years which probably happens across brands.... and not always for the best.

Like Stig I'm always unsettled by similar faults on new items and often think was this item made without care in other areas that will come to light in the future? I was lucky that with both my faulty Zodiacs the dealers never even talked about a repair... they were embarrased by Zodiac quality letting them down and went for replacement/refund as first choice.
Old 04 January 2016, 08:20   #28

I originally suspected that it was part of the manufacturing process but then when I saw strands of thread poking out all over the place and listened to some of the opinions here thought it was something else.

I'm happy to accept this if Honda man confirms but TBH I'm not keen on a simple glue job to fix a peeling seam unless there's some form of good will gesture because my confidence that other areas have been missed/not manufactured to a good level is already knocked.
Old 04 January 2016, 08:27   #29

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Would you accept a new car with a broken body to chassis weld no matter how small?
I had a recall affected Isuzu Trooper one time...

Not really the same though. Glue is a special animal.
Old 05 January 2016, 04:56   #30

So surprisingly (or maybe not to some) they have come back with an offer for me (or them) to glue the offending seam that is not properly adhered - they say it's not structural.

As regards the stitching they are investigating further and I await their feedback.

Both these options are just initial thoughts from the dealer rather than Honda's position as regards warranty so I don't want to suggest this in any way represents their final offer.

Unless there was some incentive to do so i am not comfortable to accept a product that has questionable build quality (in my mind) - am I just being picky!?!?!