Old 25 September 2014, 19:12   #1

Town: Southampton
Make: Honwave 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: 5
Honwave poor build?

I came across a 'discussion' on youtube comments saying the Honwave is poorly built in China and the only SIB that is still glued together. The owner reckoned it started falling to pieces after a few months. Others were saying its because they are designed as tenders and not pleasure boats.

Im yet to use my Honwave 3.8 air deck but it looks great to me. The old Achilles I had incthe 80's got used for years every day incthe summer, and in all that time got one puncture when I hit a sharp edge on a pontoon. Apart from this moan about cthe Honwave I have seen nothing but good reports.

One person did say it may have been an import or copy, Honda always lead us to believe their attention to detail is 2nd to none.

Tell me its a great boat and will take years of abuse
Old 25 September 2014, 19:35   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
TBH, I think its a bit hit and miss. We have had 3, a T27, T32 and T40. They have all been spot on with no issues or problems. All were bought new with no warranty claims needed and no failures during the time I had them. The T27 got the most abuse as a tender, left in the water and out in the sun all year round. Kept it for 3 years and sold for 90% of the new price on Ebay.

However I have seen a couple of problems raised on here with new boats, the good news is that Honda seem to deal with the issues quickly and easily.

They are made in China, but compared with say a Zodiac they are cheap as chips. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 25 September 2014, 19:57   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I bought a new 3.2 air floor and was over the moon with it especially at £850 but after my first outing while wiping it down I noticed a small group of tiny air bubbles underneath the floor it was a manufacturing fault in the pvc and the company I bought it of (mailspeed marine ) agreed with me and swapped it for another within a week top company the new one is fine and I have had quite a lot of enjoyable time on the water with no problems. mailspeed did say this was the first one that they had sold that had to come back . also I get my outboard serviced at a local company that also sell honwave and they told me in five years selling them they had never had a problem one .they are very cheap for what you get and as with anything there will allways be a bad one but in general I think they are cracking value for money
Old 25 September 2014, 21:12   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
I had a 3.8 new in 2006 - foolishly sold it in 2011 and have regretted it ever since.
Not one issue with that boat and had it out in some less than great SIB conditions a few times and it got me back ok.
I liked it so much I have just bought another
Not taken delivery of it yet, but I dont anticipate any major issues.
Get out on the water and enjoy it
Old 25 September 2014, 21:32   #5

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
No problem with mine, very happy with it and would recommend and buy another without hesitation
Old 25 September 2014, 21:33   #6

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Bought a 3.5 AE this year brand new out of the box. Slotted a 20hp Tohatsu on the back and never looked back. I'll confess I don't have a lot of experience of various makes of sibs but this ticks all the boxes for me.
Good quality at a very reasonable price with a good dealer network.

I still think £100+ for a seat's a rip though and I'm pleased I followed a thread on here and made one for a tenner!
Old 25 September 2014, 21:38   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> saying the Honwave is poorly built in China and the only SIB that is still glued together

Hmmm that sounds like a throwaway comment made by someone insulting them for the sake of it. You do get some absolute rubbish posted on Youtube comments... I always have comments disabled when I upload a video.

I've owned a Honwave and it was absolutely spot on... you rarely hear of problems with them. Beerbelly's issue was dealt with properly and as he says the odd poor one might slip through now and again.... it happens even to top makers.

I think they are great value and actually as well made as more expensive brands.
Old 25 September 2014, 22:49   #8

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
There isn't a product manufactured that has not had the odd problem in production and when it does happen, the better companies will sort it effectively. Honda's reputation is far to good to produce a crap boat.

Having worked very closely with several Japanese companies, their pride in the product that carries their name is very important indeed to them and with that in mind I believe they will not have a low spec craft carry the Honda name.

Phil
Old 26 September 2014, 08:57   #9

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Honda's reputation is far to good to produce a crap boat.

Having worked very closely with several Japanese companies, their pride in the product that carries their name is very important indeed to them and with that in mind I believe they will not have a low spec craft carry the Honda name.
They are made in china from a company called Sun unggluequick province
Also Make Sun sport inflatables which are identical
Old 26 September 2014, 09:45   #10

I can't fault my Honwave 3.5ae.
It's 4 years old and heavily used.
As of yet still no signs of seams/glue failing.
It's a heavy old lump and despite it's bargain price it does appear to be as/more robust in structure (particularly the transom) than some of the more expensive alternatives.
Old 26 September 2014, 12:55   #11

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
They are made in china from a company called Sun unggluequick province
Also Make Sun sport inflatables which are identical
I know that they are made in China as are other products with a Honda badge but I also know that quality control is a big thing with Japanese companies including products made for them. Believe me after working with the Japanese for over 25 years I do understand how they think, it is part of their culture and a real pain the rear at times, trust me.

Phil
Old 26 September 2014, 13:36   #12

Town: Southampton
Make: Honwave 3.8
Engine: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Bought a 3.5 AE this year brand new out of the box. Slotted a 20hp Tohatsu on the back and never looked back. I'll confess I don't have a lot of experience of various makes of sibs but this ticks all the boxes for me.
Good quality at a very reasonable price with a good dealer network.

I still think £100+ for a seat's a rip though and I'm pleased I followed a thread on here and made one for a tenner!

Looks like I have no worries. Someone on the youtube vid did ask the hater if he worked for a rival company.

Where is the thread to making this seat as mine was lost
Old 26 September 2014, 13:51   #13

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
It'll be on here somewhere in the threads. Basically got a piece of wood, painted it light grey & screwed a couple of the plastic clips bought on eBay on job done. I think that they're two different lengths dependent on model !!
Could've refined it but didn't feel the need.