Old 14 June 2015, 17:11   #21

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
honwave or seapro

Max,
How is that a bargain? A brand new Honwave T32 is £880 and selling on a post 2006 two stroke for private use is always going to be risky.
Old 14 June 2015, 17:44   #22

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Max,
How is that a bargain? A brand new Honwave T32 is £880 and selling on a post 2006 two stroke for private use is always going to be risky.
I never said it was a "bargain". £2000 would be a fairish if slightly lofty price, £1800 much better and £1600 what I would pay!

If you can get hold of Tohatsu 9.8's of that age and in that condition you will sell them within a week every single time.
Old 14 June 2015, 17:53   #23
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
9.8 2 stroke

The 9.8 2 stroke is year 2012 with less than 1 hour TOTAL run time a new engine like this from the Channel Islands £ 1550 + vat = £1860 + £ 880 = £ 2740.00

Engine weight is 26kg most likely the best SIB engine on the market
Old 14 June 2015, 17:55   #24

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjackson View Post

thanks for the tip on the 3.2 Max but I might be more interested in the 3.5 for sale by Glow if its still available,

cheers
OK, but do take some time to think about the options and advice thus far, Paddlers offer is a great one. Blooming handy to have a couple of young lads to help with a SIB too but I'd really inspect an HP floor (Zodiac, Honwave etc) SIB too.

One final thought, look at what type of [floor] SIB Glow has moved to now...

Old 14 June 2015, 18:20   #25

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
andyjackson im in Billingham just 10 mins up the road from you if you want to come and have a look at a airfloor honwave and have a drag about of a 15 hp mercury your more than welcome ill message you my tel no
Old 14 June 2015, 19:35   #26

honwave or seapro

Callum,
In no way did I wish to spoil your for sale item. However, your ad was recommended as a good deal to a new-ish member. I merely pointed out the possible pitfalls of purchasing a post 2006 two stroke for private use.

No need to praise the virtues of the Tohatsu 9.8 to me as I already have a 2006 one.
Old 14 June 2015, 19:46   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I merely pointed out the possible pitfalls of purchasing a post 2006 two stroke for private use.
Is there a risk to the buyer?
Old 14 June 2015, 19:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Is there a risk to the buyer?

No, but the buyer may one day become the seller.
Apart from resale values, any future insurance claim may also be affected.
If it's a bargain and worth the risk, that's fine, but if you're paying a premium price.....
Old 14 June 2015, 20:05   #29
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
No, but the buyer may one day become the seller.
My understanding (which may be wrong!) is that only the first person who puts in "on the (open) market" is being "naughty".
Quote:
Apart from resale values,
A look at pre-2006 2 stroke prices suggest that the benefits of 2-strokes attract a premium at this end of the market. I doubt there are a shortage of people who would see a newer one as a negative.
Quote:
any future insurance claim may also be affected.
interesting speculation - I guess some insurers will do anything to weedle out of a claim, but if you tell them in advance what you have it would be hard to do so.
Quote:
If it's a bargain and worth the risk, that's fine, but if you're paying a premium price.....
I think you are right to highlight that this is an unusual situation. However I suspect these engines do attract a bit of a premium because not everyone is as worried as you.
Old 14 June 2015, 22:08   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
However I suspect these engines do attract a bit of a premium because not everyone is as worried as you.
I paid a premium price for a mint 2006 one last year. I would also not be worried about buying a cheeky newish used one, or even a cheekier new one from the Channel Islands. But then I am also aware it's bending the rules and accept any future pitfalls.
Old 15 June 2015, 12:22   #31

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi andyjackson.. to go back on topic ...perhaps it worth following this thread ?

http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/scottis...ard-68396.html

The reason being..3 different Honwave SIBS ..one with airfloor..two with ali floors.. a Quicksilver 4.3m wood floor.. and a solid "SIB" all went through some of the strongest tides in the UK..then battled back home into a freshening F4 wind that produced a fair bit of chop..including the odd 2m tall standing wave.

The quicksilver is much the same as the Seapro you mentioned..except mine is 4.3m in length

It didnt surprise me to see.. there was little difference in the performance and handling ability of any of the boats there. There was not an Aerotec.. but I very much doubt it would significantly handle any better that any of the other boats that were out there in those conditions

Everyone will tell you their boat is the best brand.. go by the size of your purse and how you want to store or trailer it
Old 15 June 2015, 12:37   #32
RIBnet admin team

I'll support what the Gurnard said. All the boats coped remarkably well in some interesting waves. I think John Kennett was trying to get a collection of car toppable size SIBs together to do some side by side tests on the south coast somewhere. So you might be interested in those findings too.

IIRC only the airfloor Honwave at the weekend was carried in the back of the car the others were all on trailers which probably tells you something about the faff-factor involved in setting up the others and/or the weight.

Normally we reply to threads about "which boat" with "you need to tell us what you are going to do in it and how many people etc". With SIBs I think the question is "you need to tell us how you plan to store, transport and launch it". If you are going to end up with a trailer and launching at proper slipways etc, and can keep the engine on during transport you will end up with a very different solution from singlehanded launch from the back of astra anywhere I can get close to shore, stored in a shed,
Old 17 June 2015, 23:19   #33

Town: UK
Boat name: Awesome !!!
Make: F-RIB 375(S)
Engine: Suzuki 9 / 15 & 20HP
honwave or seapro

I have s Honwave t38ie, it takes me no time to inflate and get on the water. I've had it out in choppy stuff, and only this week I was side by side with a 3.65m rib at WOT.
There was nothing between us with the same size 15hp outboard.
Floor stability was paramount for me in my boat purchase, I have a 4yr old that I needed to know was safe, she loves it, the Mrs hates boating, she feels fine in the Honwave.
And just to put your mind at ease, if you turn the Honwave upside down, you can actually stand on the "V -Hull" without it caving in!!!
I'd say that's pretty impressive for an air floor.
It planes with 3 on board & a 15hp outboard no problem. It's flat(ish) inside, I can stand up to fish, it'll take a 25hp outboard and carry 6 people.
Don't worry about buying an old one, mine is a 2008, it mint. No glue failure, no leaks, no air drop.
The only boat I'd swap mine for and that's only if mine got wrecked is an F-Rib.

Member of F-RibsAndSibs.Com