Old 04 August 2013, 22:28   #1

Length: 3m +
Honwave launch wheels.

Hello guys and girls. I am a new member who has recently bought our(for the family)first boat. It is a Honwave T35 which I must say looks really good for the price paid. My question relates to the fitting of launching wheels. I have offered them up (genuine Honda jobbies) and it has become apparent when they are in the lifted position the tiller fouls against one of them when on "full lock".
Is this a common Problem? The engine I intend to use is a 20hp Yamaha autolube 2 stroke.
To overcome the problem I could fit a 20mm packing piece to the mounting points which would move the legs just enough, to avoid contact with the tiller.
Is this accepted practise or perhaps a bad idea?
Or would I be better off removing the wheels after launching?

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Harvey.
Old 05 August 2013, 00:08   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Personally would remove wheels after launch, but that's me. Preffer to go boating with an empty transom with just motor. Try placing some pics of the Wheel-tiller issue to have a look.

Happy Boating
Old 05 August 2013, 04:30   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Congrats on the new boat

How much do the wheels affect the turning? If minimal...

Mine stop maybe 2 degrees of movement and I rarely ever turn to full lock, except when docking, so it doesn't bother me at all. Mine are way too BIG to store in the boat.

Could the wheel mounts be moved more outboard on the transom?
Old 05 August 2013, 08:19   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

I have never seen this and been out on loads of honwaves but again I dont use full lock that often if at all. Taking them off will be a pain as you will also need to store them and put them back on and what if they get lost or there is a bit of chop etc.

do you have a picture?

Dave
Old 05 August 2013, 09:05   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Personally would remove wheels after launch, but that's me. Preffer to go boating with an empty transom with just motor.

Yes me too. I seem to be in a minority here but I just use the wheels to launch then put them back in the car.

It would be easier to understand the issue with a photo but really you can mount transom wheels anyhow you want as long as they clear everything and are secure.

I use Zodiac launch wheels (the slightly smaller ones from the Cadet range) on my Honwave T35 as they are very strong and when removed leave a very small and rounded bracket that can't damage the fabric when the boat is packed, some transom wheel brackets are very sharp.
Old 06 August 2013, 17:34   #6

As no one is horrified at the thought of a packing piece under the mounting brackets this could be the way forward for me.
However, I shall take on board the posted comments especially making sure that the mounting brackets do not damage the boat fabric when stored away. An old piece of carpet maybe!

Harvey