Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 July 2016, 17:11   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
Explore Cowal's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 108
Honwave help.

Hello.

Contemplating getting a SIB in place of my Kayak. The Honwaves seem to be popular on Ebay and Gumtree ( not sure where else to look).

I believe from reading the forum V hulls are preferred. Looking at various models, they all seem to be V like. However, there are models that have the hull extending beyond the transom...........are these the preferred type ?

Thanks,

Fraser.
__________________

__________________
Explore Cowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 00:49   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 246
I had a honwave myself and although it's a great sib at a great price they are more of a heavy duty sib which I found quite heavy to lift around out of the water, the tabs that extended beyond the transom are on the air floor versions and although not a problem do limit you to only one type of transom wheel
__________________

__________________
Mickhitchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 03:05   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,202
EC yes all but the most basic of SIBS (mainly those for use as a tender to/from a yacht on a mooring) have the floor fabric stretched into a V to soften the ride into waves, to stifen the material for planing performance and to give directional stability. The degree of this V varies according to make/model but by and large a SIB will never cut through waves like a larger heavier RIB with a GRP hull and very pronounced V.

Those of us who've owner/used a few SIBs often realise we have differing needs... from those that undertake extended trips and need lots of storage space, those that fish and prefer a hard floor, those that daily inflate so need the easiest inflate/deflate and minimal space taken in the car... and there are some of us who need neither a hard floor to fish nor lots of storage and have found through experience with our own particular use the deepest V gives a more comfortable ride.

But as Gurnard often says all SIBs will get you where you're going and it's down to personal preference.

The Aerotec I and others use has the deepest V so the potential for the softest ride in rough water, the Honwave air floor models (with the tabs that stick out the back) have the next deepest V, the Zodiac Acti-V models follow on next and finally most alloy/wood hard loor models with a LP inflated keel are all about the same in V shape.

The preferred type depends on your use and most important really is the choice between air floor and hard floor. The hard floor Honwave models (as with other hard floor makes) are really quite heavy to move about both when packed and inflated but they are well made and a great roomy SIB also making a brilliant fishing platform. They can be fiddly to assemble in regards to getting the floor fitted and that does put off those of us that daily setup.

The air floor Honwave models are much lighter and far easier to setup as it's a case of unroll and inflate. They have a V about halfway between Aerotec and normal hard floor types so seem a good compromise of performance and usability.

Honwave don't do exactly the same lengths in air/hard floor models but as an example of weight comparisons...

Honwave air floor 3.2m 86lbs, alloy floor 3.5m 160lbs.... air floor 3.8m 106lbs, alloy floor 4.0m 189lbs... the differences are very significant unless you are using a trailer.

As Mickhitch says one of their downsides is the transom tabs force the use of one (expensive) design of transom wheel. They also interfere with fitting a transducer for a depth sounder.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 11:51   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Explore Cowal's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhitchuk View Post
I had a honwave myself and although it's a great sib at a great price they are more of a heavy duty sib which I found quite heavy to lift around out of the water, the tabs that extended beyond the transom are on the air floor versions and although not a problem do limit you to only one type of transom wheel
Thanks for your reply. I've seen a few second hand ones with the dog leg wheels, they must put a strain in the transom with the engine in place?
I wouldn't mind the heavy duty set up for peace of mind, but as you say there's a weight penalty for this.

Thanks,

Fraser.
__________________
Explore Cowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 11:55   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,202
It's not that they strain the transom but they have the leverage to strain themselves and their fitting boss... there are some light duty ones folks have fitted that have been known to bend.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 12:09   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
Explore Cowal's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
EC yes all but the most basic of SIBS (mainly those for use as a tender to/from a yacht on a mooring) have the floor fabric stretched into a V to soften the ride into waves, to stifen the material for planing performance and to give directional stability. The degree of this V varies according to make/model but by and large a SIB will never cut through waves like a larger heavier RIB with a GRP hull and very pronounced V.

Those of us who've owner/used a few SIBs often realise we have differing needs... from those that undertake extended trips and need lots of storage space, those that fish and prefer a hard floor, those that daily inflate so need the easiest inflate/deflate and minimal space taken in the car... and there are some of us who need neither a hard floor to fish nor lots of storage and have found through experience with our own particular use the deepest V gives a more comfortable ride.

But as Gurnard often says all SIBs will get you where you're going and it's down to personal preference.

The Aerotec I and others use has the deepest V so the potential for the softest ride in rough water, the Honwave air floor models (with the tabs that stick out the back) have the next deepest V, the Zodiac Acti-V models follow on next and finally most alloy/wood hard loor models with a LP inflated keel are all about the same in V shape.

The preferred type depends on your use and most important really is the choice between air floor and hard floor. The hard floor Honwave models (as with other hard floor makes) are really quite heavy to move about both when packed and inflated but they are well made and a great roomy SIB also making a brilliant fishing platform. They can be fiddly to assemble in regards to getting the floor fitted and that does put off those of us that daily setup.

The air floor Honwave models are much lighter and far easier to setup as it's a case of unroll and inflate. They have a V about halfway between Aerotec and normal hard floor types so seem a good compromise of performance and usability.

Honwave don't do exactly the same lengths in air/hard floor models but as an example of weight comparisons...

Honwave air floor 3.2m 86lbs, alloy floor 3.5m 160lbs.... air floor 3.8m 106lbs, alloy floor 4.0m 189lbs... the differences are very significant unless you are using a trailer.

As Mickhitch says one of their downsides is the transom tabs force the use of one (expensive) design of transom wheel. They also interfere with fitting a transducer for a depth sounder.
Again, thanks for another reply.

I intend on using it for recreational use. Take the family out ( the Mrs and the wean) but also for camping and bothy trips with a couple of friends. So I'd likely be looking at 5 person minimum to allow for camping gear etc.
I like the sound of the simplicity of the air floor, less faffing about, especially if only going out for a few hours. Plus as you have pointed out, the weight difference is quite a bit.
I'm not a fisherman so the solid floor wouldn't be required.

I think my most ambitious venture would be to Islay and Jura.......I've seen the tide races between the two. But wouldn't need to pass through the narrows.
I read a great SIB trip report on here regarding a camping trip, looked great.

I've looked at the Bombard but there's not many second hand ones about.....especially in Scotland.

Thanks,

Fraser.
__________________
Explore Cowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 13:03   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,999
Sorry if you've already said this, but are you planning to move it on a trailer or pack it up each time? If its packing then air deck is a no brainer.
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 13:06   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Explore Cowal's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Sorry if you've already said this, but are you planning to move it on a trailer or pack it up each time? If its packing then air deck is a no brainer.
Poly,


I'd intend to pack up as I don't want the restrictions caused by a trailer due to some remote launch landing points.


Thanks.
__________________
Explore Cowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 13:54   #9
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,947
5 person minimum....i think you need to seriously evaluate the size of the boat you want.
__________________
dubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 14:04   #10
RIBnet supporter
 
Explore Cowal's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
5 person minimum....i think you need to seriously evaluate the size of the boat you want.
Sorry, meant maximum. It'd accommodate 3 adults at most with a load of gear.

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Explore Cowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.