Old 28 September 2011, 19:21   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Honwave alloy floor fitting tips

My Honwave T35 arrived today and all looks good after inflating for a look on the yard.

The alloy floor stringers were more difficult to fit than the wooden ones on my old Mk.1 Zodiac though. Any tips on fitting? I did put the oars underneath but the hardest part was getting the stringers in near the transom. Do owners use a lubricant like squeezy or perhaps fit them a few inches forward of the final position and hammer back??
Old 28 September 2011, 19:55   #2

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
My Honwave T35 arrived today and all looks good after inflating for a look on the yard.

The alloy floor stringers were more difficult to fit than the wooden ones on my old Mk.1 Zodiac though. Any tips on fitting? I did put the oars underneath but the hardest part was getting the stringers in near the transom. Do owners use a lubricant like squeezy or perhaps fit them a few inches forward of the final position and hammer back??
It may look silly but...sponsons are too much inflated! It's the very very very first step. You may believe they are not - but almost for sure they are. Deflate and try again. It took me 1 hour or longer to make a guy's mind up. Sometimes I think about Bravosuperturbomegaflu plugged at both ears for friendly helpers.
Old 28 September 2011, 20:47   #3

Thanks. You could be right I guess. The Honwave instructions say to have the tubes half inflated. They looked quite floppy but I've only tried once so I'll have another ago tomorrow with them almost flat.
Old 29 September 2011, 11:04   #4

Just spoke to the supplier about something else I wanted and he commented the stringers appear to go in better next time once a brand new boat has been inflated to max pressure for a few hours to "stretch".

He also said just the right very small amount of air in the tubes was crucial and it may take a few attempts to find out what that is.
Old 29 September 2011, 14:20   #5

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Just spoke to the supplier about something else I wanted and he commented the stringers appear to go in better next time once a brand new boat has been inflated to max pressure for a few hours to "stretch".

He also said just the right very small amount of air in the tubes was crucial and it may take a few attempts to find out what that is.
That's it.
The very first time inflate the brand new boat without the floor; then deflate, but not to half the volume, but more: almost flat. This is the most important point.
Some people put soap in the stringers: but I do not recommend that as you will not get ride of the soap so easily.
Some people use rubber hammer to fit the stringers.
Always take care of the position of the boards.
Also place oars down the boat before fitting the stringers.
Good luck!
Old 02 October 2011, 08:06   #6

I think I have this sorted after two more test assembles in the garden. I found it best to unroll the boat onto the oars so they were ready in the right place. Inflate to about half pressure to get some shape to the boat... and to avoid pinching the fabric when placing the floor sections. Then when all the floor sections are in I let some air out so the tubes are about 1/4 full to fit the stringers. I did use a rubber hammer the first time the other day but realise it's not required once you have the knack.