Old 07 March 2016, 14:10   #1

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: 2 anchors
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2 str
Honwave Air V floor or Aluminium Floor

The Honwave T38-IE Air V floor and T40-AE Aluminium Floor are both about £920 and I am not sure which to choose. Practically, the Air V floor is best for transportation, storage and assembly but it needs special transom wheels and I have a good set of standard ones already. I have also read (on here) that the handling is a bit wild.

Any suggestions?

I'll be strapping a 2005 short shaft Mariner 15hp 2 stroke to the back. The last time I fitted it to the back of a new boat (Yam 380S), I had to cut a 40mm notch in the transom to lower the engine as it cavitated badly. Anyone had any similar issues with Honwaves?
Old 07 March 2016, 14:21   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
An age old question discussed so much on here (Which SIB? etc) but it all comes down to hassle (assembly faff/time) and weight factors. Rarely does someone go from an air floor to a solid floor but many go the other way and never look back. A 4m alu floor SIB is a very heavy cumbersome lump that is much better suited left assembled on a trailer and if doing that a RIB is better in many ways.
Old 07 March 2016, 14:39   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As Max says... an age old question that can only ever be truly answered if you own both in a short space of time.

I've had the 3.5m T35AE Honwave alloy floor. A well built very stable SIB with a nice flat level floor. When those attributes were crucial to me it was great.

But when assembly and carrying became my sole responsibility and a flat floor was less important I got a bit fed up with the effort and moved to an air floor. The T40 is of course even more of a lump... 83lbs more than the 3.8 air floor... that's a lot! The T40 is about 9" longer and 2" wider internally than the T38... that extra space might matter to you.

I've had the Mercury/Mariner 15hp 2-stroke short shaft on many SIBs and only ever experienced cavitation/ventilation with a problem prop... never needed to cut a transom. Having said that air floor SIBs can be more prone to cavitation/ventilation than alloy floors

I did find the T35AE/Mariner 15 combo was the most reluctant to plane with a few folks in compared to all the air floor SIBs I've used with that outboard. I assumed it was the weight and dumpy face it presents to the water. The T40 is often paired with a 20HP.

As you have transom wheels already the extra cost of the special ones for the air floor is a factor.

I wonder what you use the SIB for and how many folks you take out?

Note: My comments are based on carrying a SIB in the car and inflating at each use.
Old 07 March 2016, 18:18   #4

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
They are both big boats for packable sibs, but the T40 is seriously big. I lasted 2 outings with mine before i bought a trailer.

If you dont want to trailer, stick with the T38 and buy the correct wheels. Yours existing ones should sell easily on here or ebay.
Old 08 March 2016, 09:55   #5

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: 2 anchors
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2 str
Thanks all. I'll go for the T38-IE Air V floor and will buy the wheels when I need them.
Old 08 March 2016, 10:24   #6

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Hi all

You could try inflatable tube rollers there is a thread on here some where .I think they were £20 each from force 4 chandlery.
Old 08 March 2016, 10:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
They are both big boats for packable sibs, but the T40 is seriously big. I lasted 2 outings with mine before i bought a trailer.

If you dont want to trailer, stick with the T38 and buy the correct wheels. Yours existing ones should sell easily on here or ebay.
Spot on Landlocked pirate.
I have a Honwave 3.5ae.
I too ended up trailering mine after a few trips to sea.
As I wanted it to go fishing the flat aluminium floor was better than the v shaped inflated floor of the T3.8.
I much prefer the solid floor but the hassle of loading it into my vehicle unpacking at launch site, assembly, disassembly, repackaging into vehicle.
Removing from vehicle, wash / dry, repack for storage soon becomes tedious!
Unless your trailering the airfloor is definitely the way to go.
Old 08 March 2016, 10:58   #8

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I much prefer the solid floor but the hassle of loading it into my vehicle unpacking at launch site, assembly, disassembly, repackaging into vehicle.
Removing from vehicle, wash / dry, repack for storage soon becomes tedious!
Unless your trailering the airfloor is definitely the way to go.
Add that to the sticky!