Old 30 July 2014, 13:16   #1

Length: 3m +
Honwave 3.8 (20HP Engine Carrying question)

Dear All,
Nice finding you here. I am new in this Forum and need your expertise on a practical / engine (moving – carrying) matter.

I have a Honwave T3.8 ie and think of buying an engine (Honda BF 20). I do not have a trailer (load the boat at the top of my car) and I am planning to be fitting the engine at my car’s boot (Honda Jazz) and carrying it around with a trolley.
Once I will be at the beach I will be mounting it on the transom of the boat which will have the Honwave wheels.

I am concerned however with the engine’s weight (46-47 kgs) as I will be handling this on my own with the help of a trolley I intend to buy.

1. Is anyone else carrying his engine (of similar 46-47 weight) in his car?
2. How do you do it? Is it manageable?
3. You do this with a trolley?
4. You have any recommendations on good trolleys?

Thank you so much - Alexo
Old 30 July 2014, 13:48   #2

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Hi,
I have a DF20 Suzuki which at 44kg is a tad lighter but to me is a real handful. It lives on a trolley and is just manageable to lift solo on/off transom. Equally difficult to lift in/out of car, although I only do this at the end of the season😎
I use a sack truck modified with a ply board like this one;
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ial-sack-truck
Or if you need a folding posh one perhaps something like this;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301245353531
Of course all this hard work is forgotten once out on the water.
Have fun.
Old 30 July 2014, 14:15   #3

Thank you Chipco.
Your message is really helpful as for a moment I thought I was the only person in the world thinking of having such an engine without a trailer.
Much appreciated!!
Alexo
Old 30 July 2014, 16:56   #4

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I've just bought a Tohatsu 20 that weighs in at 52kg which seems a bit of a handfull but as I plan to leave it on the boat for the full 2 weeks of the holiday I won't need my hernia briefs on...

Certainly a lot heavier than my Mercury 15hp two stroke !!!
Old 30 July 2014, 17:20   #5

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I had a yamaha 25 which was great fun on the water but half killed me carrying it aboutt so I swapped it for a mercury 15 which while not as fast is easily carried about and the reason I got rid of my speedboat and got a sib was I liked the portability of it all I have no trailer either
Old 30 July 2014, 19:04   #6

@ beerbely.
The engines you refer to are Four Stroke or 2stroke? If you are talking for a 4 stroke this means you were carrying a 25HP (about 72kgs) and you are now with a 15HP at 50kgs. Am I right?
How do cope with that? Do you place this in your boot?
Thank you.
Old 30 July 2014, 19:08   #7

The way I see it as follows. If I go for a lighter engine I would have to go to a Tohatsu 9.9 HP (four stroke) which is 38 kgs (The Honda 10HP four stroke is 42 kgs). The Honda 15HP and 20HP are 46kgs so i am not seeing significant benefit by reducing my HP to the 9.9 HP. I mean the difference is 8 kgs for double the power.
Old 30 July 2014, 19:11   #8

Furthermore, what is your experience? Does it fit in a car's boot?
Old 30 July 2014, 19:14   #9

mine were 2 stroke 50kg for the 25 hp and 34 kg for the 15 hp imho a 72 kg four stroke will need 2 people its not just the weight they are awkward to lift and when you try walking you twat your shins on the prop ect
Old 30 July 2014, 19:35   #10

I see. Noted. Thank you beerbelly for clarifying this.
Old 30 July 2014, 23:46   #11

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
That is the weight of my g/f. No problem picking her up and throwing her around

Personally I would probably just set the boat up at the back of the car and pull the motor from the back of the car, and set it directly onto the boat. Otherwise your best bet is to get a trolley and slide it in and out of the vehicle. Then find a way to tilt the trolley, dropping the engine onto the transom. You could sew up some straps from 1" webbing to help carry the engine. Some 3/4" heater hose would make a decent handle.
Old 31 July 2014, 07:05   #12

Dear Peter, Thank you.
That is my plan.
Have the engine on a trolley. Slide the trolley (with the engine on it) in the car. When i get to the beach, I first set up the boat, then slide the engine out of the car and load the engine on the transom by tilting the trolley.
The boat would have transom wheels and then I push both boat and engine (on board to the sea).
How about this of a plan? Or am I being too optimistic about this in view of the 47 kgs Honda 20BF engine load?
Thank you.
Old 31 July 2014, 08:49   #13

That sounds like a plan.
Just be mindful that 4 stroke engines are very particular with regards to how they are transported due to them carrying oil inside.
My two 4 stroke engines have notices stuck on them stating that they should only be transported tiller side down.
And further notices in the manual warning against letting the horizontal height of the propellor exceed the horizontal height of the engine.
If any of the aforementioned happen, it could get messy, oily and smokey!
I personally wheel my 52kg tohatsu 20hp from the garage to the car on its trolley.
Lift it from the trolley into the boot and lay it tiller side down on top of two pillows.
I then unhitched the trailered sib and turn the trailer around so that the transom of the Sib is nice and close to the car boot.
I then lift engine on and pray that my back doesn't give out.
Re-attach the trailer and launch.
Engine stays on the transom until I am going home.
Therefore the trolley stays at home also until I wheel the engine back into the garage.
This system works best for me.
Good luck.
Old 31 July 2014, 08:54   #14

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Hi, I guess the real question is, how old are you and how strong, I'm 51 in my younger days I could just about lift my 2 smoke 40 hp yam on and off my Shetland boat, now I'm maxed out with a 3,2 honwave and 6hp Suzuki , it always comes down to weight v fun, I can deploy from boot to water in 15 minutes, if I was lugging a heavy motor around I'm not sure I would use the sib as often, also chucking a heavy outboard into a boot is difficult to do without damaging it,
Old 31 July 2014, 09:09   #15

Mickhitchuk mentions a very valid point.
It definetly is a bitch trying to lift engine into car boot on your own.
They are very awkward with all the weight concentrated in the top.
If solo you need to tilt engine raising the propellor up towards the horizontal to clear the lip of the car boot.
This puts a lot of strain on your back etc.
I'm 18.5 stone 6ft 3inches and pretty strong.
I don't relish wrestling the 53kg tohatsu though.
If you have a helper it's a lot easier.
If they lift the propeller up and take the strain of you back the operation is a lot easier.
Old 31 July 2014, 09:35   #16

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexo View Post
I see. Noted. Thank you beerbelly for clarifying this.
Hi

Get a 2stroke better power to weight ratio the way to go.Put the engine on the transom and get some bow wheels.
Old 31 July 2014, 11:46   #17

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
- Rooteq folding trolley is not recommended for 20hp 4 stroke engines because of weight distribution (head is heavy, leg is lighter). I use one, but I had to modify it. There's a post about this in the forum.
- Try putting it in vertical position, tied to the back of the front seat. You lose a rear seat, but it's easier to manage.
- Putting an engine inside the boot is much easier than taking it out...
Old 31 July 2014, 16:04   #18

I was putting mane on the back seat of our freelander as the boot was full of dog which was ok until I badly scored the leather on the seat pulling it out so I then put one of them thick rubber boot liners of ebay on the seat to protect it just a suggestion if your fussy about your cars interior. it also made getting it out easier as I just pulled the rubber mat until the outboard was nearly out
Old 31 July 2014, 16:20   #19

I concur with the rubber mat. I've got one and it makes sliding and dragging outboard in and out of the boot a lit easier!
Old 31 July 2014, 19:29   #20

Town: Berks
Boat name: zaros
Make: hondawave
Engine: 20 hp
Honwave 3.8 and Tohatsu 20hp

Hi
I have a Honwave 3.8 and a tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke. I carry mine in the back of my Grand Picasso,I have just taken early retirement so am not a spring chicken and find I can lift the motor no problem but getting the leg high enough to get it in is hard even though I can lower the back of the car 6" (air suspension).

I do use my home made launch wheels sometimes but found the whole rig is very heavy to move over sand

I have a Yamaha folding outboard trolley which is great on a hard surface but would not consider taking on sand.

It can also be a bit of a struggle getting it on the transom - getting the bracket at the right angle ect..

I have managed everything on my own but feel much happier when my wife helps me.

The problem to me is not the weight but the fact it is very very top heavy so if it started to tip I doubt it could be stopped.

Having written this it seems a bit down but when its all together on the water its great. I did have a 15hp 2 stroke that had plenty of power but was noisy and smelly and not very green the 4 stroke is far better.

Sorry its a bit garbled but hope it helps, if you need more info please ask.

Honwave