Old 31 July 2014, 20:19   #21

Town: London
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury HP20
Different set up as I have a 3.8 bombard aerotec 380 with a 20hp 4 Stroke Mercury but recently took both down to cornwall and with the help of an outboard trolley was able to lift the 51kg motor on to the transom of the sib. If you plan well and have some help even to lift and drop you should be fine. For what it's worth my aerotec with the 20 flies along so well worth it.
Old 31 July 2014, 20:55   #22

Two smokes are vastly lighter and won't leak oil if carried wrongly.
That's where the pro's end for me.
Four stroke burns half the fuel and idles much sweeter.
I do a lot of trolling lures.
My yammie 15 two stroke stank like hell when trolling and didn't take kindly to the low revs.
Cracking engine for blasting about with on the Sib pleasure boating but not suited to my fishing requirements.
On a still day when trolling I often felt nauseous with the smell of the fumes.
Sad to see it go but I wouldn't go back to two stroke.
Each to their own though!
Old 31 July 2014, 21:21   #23

Finally!! Light at the end of the tunnel.
I am seeing that I am not the only person who thinks of doing this.
A few things to clarify.
1. I am 40 and rather fit but nevertheless will not be lifting the engine. This is out of the question. I will only carry it with the trolley and shall slide it in the car with the trolley. No need to take chances with my back on this.
2. The 2stroke engine is no go for me. I am not sure what's happening in UK but in Greece these are banned since 2008 thus If I were to opt for one this would be 2nd had (and 6 year old if I was lucky to find seller with 2008). In any event I want a new engine and in Greece new engine meand 4 stroke only.
3. After your reading all your posts I have realised what I expected from the beginning; it is not impossible but rather one has to plan well this (engine transport) exercise. Maybe same as I apply for the boat as after I am done I rely on straps to slowly lift its 50kgs (after deflating it) at the top of my car.

Thank you also for the kind advice in relation to the transport method (i.e. which side this should lie at). I have a smaller honda thus I am familiar with this but did not know that propeller should not be raised above engine head - Thank you for this..

All in all the messages you all sent me are highly appreciated and well received. I am more positively inclined on buying this motor now but prior to doing so I will make sure I have all elements (equipment) in place and most importantly the trolley the engine will fit onto.
Old 31 July 2014, 21:25   #24

@essjay2730
Can you please guide me on what trolley you are relying to?
Thank you so much!
Old 31 July 2014, 21:31   #25

@honwave
Thank you so much for your message.
I will be following more or less (maybe exact) same approach.
Is this the trolley you are using?
hhttp://www.bhg-marine.co.uk/outboards/yamaha-outboards/yamaha-parts-accessories/outboard-trolleys/motortoter-outboard-trolley
Old 31 July 2014, 21:45   #26

@ kaman
Thank you for your comments. It is strange but Honda warns if lied down tiller to be up.
Old 01 August 2014, 01:35   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexo View Post
@ kaman
Thank you for your comments. It is strange but Honda warns if lied down tiller to be up.
Honda must have a different oil circulation system to Tohatsu and Suzuki then.
Both my outboards are strictly tiller down or you risk an oil spill like the Exon Valdeez lol!!!!
Old 01 August 2014, 01:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post

Honda must have a different oil circulation system to Tohatsu and Suzuki then.
Both my outboards are strictly tiller down or you risk an oil spill like the Exon Valdeez lol!!!!
P.S tiller down makes a steady stabilizing base to stop the engine wobbling/rocking around during transit.
Old 01 August 2014, 09:31   #29

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexo View Post
@honwave
Thank you so much for your message.
I will be following more or less (maybe exact) same approach.
Is this the trolley you are using?
hhttp://www.bhg-marine.co.uk/outboards/yamaha-outboards/yamaha-parts-accessories/outboard-trolleys/motortoter-outboard-trolley
That's a 2 stroke engine. You cannot lay like that a 4 stroke engine, 4-strokes must lay in one side (and only that side).
Old 01 August 2014, 09:41   #30

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
I found the post about modifying the ROOTEQ trolley for a Honda BF20.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/advice-...e-34115-3.html
Old 01 August 2014, 10:41   #31

Dear Azzuro Thank you for this.
This is one of the trolleys I have shortlisted as well in view of its folding capabilities. I am confident I will be able to make all necessary modifications thus this is OK.
Old 02 August 2014, 18:34   #32

Town: Cheshire
Make: Honwave 3.2
Engine: Tohatsu 15hp
I've got the Honwave 3.2m with a Tohatsu 15hp which is the same weight as the 20hp, 52kg-ish?

Mine is inflated and deflated at the end of each session and goes into the back of a swb defender. The worst part for me is getting the engine back into the car as I have to swing the engine up to horizonal to get the prop in. This is much easier if you have a helper! The boat then gets thrown on top.

What I would be concerned about is knocking your car about getting the engine in and out, it's hard to man handle a 52kg delicately!

Also I wouldn't fancy having to lift the boat onto the roof bars if that's what you are planning?
Old 03 August 2014, 07:35   #33

Town: Berks
Boat name: zaros
Make: hondawave
Engine: 20 hp
Hi Alexo sorry not to reply sooner.
You posted a link asking if the trolley was the same as mine its not and cannt find a pic of mine (Got it from Pacermarine/Ebay £80). Must say it looks good and for sliding the motor in the car would be easy but with a 4 stroke one would still have to lay the motor on its side which could be difficult if the trolley was wide.
I must say you have had plenty of good advice I wish I had found Ribnet when I started I could have saved plenty of time and money
Honwave
Old 04 August 2014, 11:29   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy RV View Post
I've got the Honwave 3.2m with a Tohatsu 15hp which is the same weight as the 20hp, 52kg-ish?

Mine is inflated and deflated at the end of each session and goes into the back of a swb defender. The worst part for me is getting the engine back into the car as I have to swing the engine up to horizonal to get the prop in. This is much easier if you have a helper! The boat then gets thrown on top.

What I would be concerned about is knocking your car about getting the engine in and out, it's hard to man handle a 52kg delicately!

Also I wouldn't fancy having to lift the boat onto the roof bars if that's what you are planning?
Hi Andy.
Thank you for this. I understand other people do what I planning for but need to think hard on how I will be getting this in/out of car. I will most likely make a trolley myself with wheels at both ends (same as I have seen on web) but with height adjusted for me car and will then slide engine in boot.
I am lifting boat (deflated) at the roof bars with the (mechanical) help of some rope / pulleys adjsuted at the roof bars.
Not easy task but not impossible.
Old 04 August 2014, 11:34   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by honwave View Post
Hi Alexo sorry not to reply sooner.
You posted a link asking if the trolley was the same as mine its not and cannt find a pic of mine (Got it from Pacermarine/Ebay £80). Must say it looks good and for sliding the motor in the car would be easy but with a 4 stroke one would still have to lay the motor on its side which could be difficult if the trolley was wide.
I must say you have had plenty of good advice I wish I had found Ribnet when I started I could have saved plenty of time and money
Honwave
Hi Honwave.
I agree that I got a lot of useful information and guidance which I am now trying to digest.
Thank you all.