Old 17 June 2012, 01:33   #1

Boat name: Classic Mark II C
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15HP Honda
Homemade PVC Roll Bar for Zodiac SIB

Has anyone ever made a homemade roll bar (of simple design) using PVC tubes? I was thinking of putting something together, and mounting it to the transom using the pre-drilled holes for the launching wheels.

I'd use this to secure an all-round light at the top, mounting the fish-finder, and running the transducer cable through the pipe and securing it at the bottom of the tube.

Perhaps painting the whole thing silver, to give it a more finished look

Any thoughts???
Old 17 June 2012, 08:43   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Forget anything made out of plastic. It's simply not robust enough. Get a metal fabricator to make a simple frame from marine grade 316 stainless steel, couple of bends, and bolt holes for it to attach to the transom. Use Sikaflex sealant when fitting. Might be possible to make a detachable version if the boat gets deflated for storage.
Old 18 June 2012, 00:51   #3

What about this one....

http://www.aventureyachting.fr/bouti...RBSCRI48_1.jpg

I have no idea how to order it, or inquire about it. But it looks like it'll fit the pre-drilled holes exactly! Does any one know anything more about this item????
Old 18 June 2012, 02:32   #4

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Here's what I made. ABS plumbing pipe. Plenty robust. Flags or sternlight screw into the fitting. Transducer can screw into the flat section without marring the transom.

Old 18 June 2012, 14:46   #5

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
ABS is certainly more substantial than PVC, but I would hesitate to use that for a frame. You could get a lot more strength using aluminum tube. I really like the ease with which aluminum structures can be made using Hollaender Speed rail fasteners. I used these to make the bars that I have installed fore and aft of my console and bench to strap equipment to. I also made surfboard racks that "float" above the tubes. I've used these fittings for a number of other custom fabrications. The second shot is of the base for my all around light pole. For a frame i would use at least two bases on each support. The set screws that hold the speed rail parts together work well, but I drill and through bolt anything taking serious abuse. You might consider a custom A Frame made using these parts. Very durable, but not as nifty as a welded frame. Just a suggestion.

http://www.industrialmetalsupply.com...%20Catalog.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zodiac3.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	69451   Click image for larger version

Name:	zodiac5.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	69452  
Old 18 June 2012, 15:13   #6

Town: Oakland CA
According to the catalog, the fittings are aluminum-magnesium (which I'm assuming is alloyed together?)

How do they hold up to salt water? Magnesium is used for controlling corrosion in freshwater, in the same way zinc is used in saltwater. I realize you don't have these immersed, but I'd still expect to see some deterioration.

jky
Old 18 June 2012, 15:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
Here's what I made. ABS plumbing pipe. Plenty robust. Flags or sternlight screw into the fitting. Transducer can screw into the flat section without marring the transom.

this is nice! And exactly what I'm looking to do! Maybe I'd make the whole roll bar using these, assuming they flex a bit (the screw in the transom are not perfectly plumb).

Can you give me more details on how you mounted the stern light and trasnducer? Where you able to drill directly into the ABS fitting? Any details would be much appreciated.

Do you think you could've exetnede the height, and made this into a roll bar?
Old 18 June 2012, 15:30   #8

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Corrosion has not been an issue with the speed rail fittings. In fact, the fittings surface finish has held up and looks nicer than the surface of the aluminum tubes I used in the fabrication.

A few of the fittings are still just installed with the set screws provided. I have had some issues with these being hard to remove due to corrosion, but that isn't surprising considering the set screws and fittings are dissimilar metals. Not a big deal for me.
Old 18 June 2012, 15:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
Also, it looks like you mounted the ABS to a metal plate. What did you use for that?
Old 19 June 2012, 14:51   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Thanks, Kelson; I'll have to look into those.

jky