Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 24 March 2019, 09:37   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Rode
Make: Excel volante 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 56
Holding engine on transom

I have a mariner 9.9 and was wondering if it is a good idea to bolt engine onto transom, so there is no way the engine can fall off, how many people do this ?
__________________

__________________
Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 09:43   #2
Member
 
Gazzago's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Winona
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 60hp
MMSI: 235912526
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 188
I wouldnít have thought it would be such an issue with a 10hp motor.

Iíve always found the hand clamps worked well enough on an outboard and for extra safety I cable tie the handles together so they canít work loose.
__________________

__________________
My youtube videos. Have a look >>>https://goo.gl/ZviQkS
Gazzago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 09:49   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Rode
Make: Excel volante 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzago View Post
I wouldnít have thought it would be such an issue with a 10hp motor.

Iíve always found the hand clamps worked well enough on an outboard and for extra safety I cable tie the handles together so they canít work loose.
Sounds a good idea to cable tie the clamps together
Thanks
__________________
Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:31   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,634
personally i always do bolt but if and when i didnt i had a lanyard from the engine to the boat somewhere just incase
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:58   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,083
I have the same engine and have it bolted to the transom. I've been doing this for around the past 5yrs with my OBs after watching the amount of load from varying directions when in difficult sea conditions.

I set up daily and have drilled holes in the transom slightly oversize so the bolts slide through easily. I have the bolts plus two stubby spanners in a small bag within my setup kit so I never have to play hunt the spanner to fit them.

Just feel more reassured that should a loosening or other problem happen with the clamps... however unlikely... there is that secondary security.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 12:36   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,634
Same old question really do you have a back up, on some of the old transom pads use to have a loop for you to tie a rope or fix a lanyard I'm sure it use to be said in engine/boat books at one time might still be
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 13:55   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,083
The Zodiac inner transom plate has a loop for outboard attachment. But as the outboard flies off the transom the plate is only held on by 5 screws about half inch into wood. I suspect you may see the transom plate follow the outboard overboard on the end of the lanyard!
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 14:01   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Rode
Make: Excel volante 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I have the same engine and have it bolted to the transom. I've been doing this for around the past 5yrs with my OBs after watching the amount of load from varying directions when in difficult sea conditions.

I set up daily and have drilled holes in the transom slightly oversize so the bolts slide through easily. I have the bolts plus two stubby spanners in a small bag within my setup kit so I never have to play hunt the spanner to fit them.

Just feel more reassured that should a loosening or other problem happen with the clamps... however unlikely... there is that secondary security.
The bolt holes do you get any water coming through
__________________
Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 15:27   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
The Zodiac inner transom plate has a loop for outboard attachment. But as the outboard flies off the transom the plate is only held on by 5 screws about half inch into wood. I suspect you may see the transom plate follow the outboard overboard on the end of the lanyard!
The screws could soon be upgraded if that's the case my Mercury has two holes with Ali ferrells through the transom a good place to secure or eye bolts fitted any rope/lanyard should be tight to prevent movement so not giving the engine chance to jump off
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 16:05   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,083
>>>do you get any water coming through

No none at all.

The bolts should have come with your OB.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 16:49   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Rode
Make: Excel volante 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>do you get any water coming through

No none at all.

The bolts should have come with your OB.
Yes mine did come with ob, means drilling more holes
__________________
Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 17:00   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,083
On a Honwave with the sandwich construction transom a really nice job would be to find some plastic or stainless tube with an id the bolt will easily slide through then drill to make that a snug fit in transom, cut to length and seal.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 17:06   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Rode
Make: Excel volante 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
On a Honwave with the sandwich construction transom a really nice job would be to find some plastic or stainless tube with an id the bolt will easily slide through then drill to make that a snug fit in transom, cut to length and seal.
Brilliant idea, thanks for your advice
__________________
Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 13:29   #14
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Same old question really do you have a back up, on some of the old transom pads use to have a loop for you to tie a rope or fix a lanyard I'm sure it use to be said in engine/boat books at one time might still be
Second this.
I do remember watching a buddy diving into winter ocean water in a harbor to get a hook on his outboard. It was knocked off when his sloppy tied job let the outboard get pryed off by the dock and harbor chop.
__________________

__________________
pagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.