Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 11 July 2011, 20:57   #1

Boat name: Zed
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Evinrude 15HP
Hi, a little advice please for complete novice

Hi all, completely new to boating but after spending quite a bit of time in the Lake District last and this summer i decided to buy myself an inflatable for use mainly on the lakes and the odd run out on saltwater.

I bought an old Hypalon Zodiac Zed (1980's) that can take a max 10hp motor that has a transom of 15".

The person i bought the boat off was also selling an Evinrude 15hp long shaft in pristine condition at a price i couldn't refuse. The weight isn't an issue as the 15hp Evinrude weighs the same as the 9.9hp now i know mounting the motor on this size transom will cause some issue's (not to mention the extra 5hp in power!) so im wanting advice on the following really

Should i:

a) Sell the motor and buy a short shaft

b) raise the transom 5" using marine ply bolted and glued to existing transom to lift the motor

Will raising the transom create any issues with handling etc and also would the extra 5hp be dangerous?

Many thanks, Zed Head
Old 11 July 2011, 22:49   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I would be tempted to just stick it on and live with it!

If you are planning to use it in the lakes then a 10 mph speed limit will prevent you getting too keen with the power anyway.

I suppose there might be too much back pressure in the exhaust from being too deep - but I doubt on a sib with an ickle engine you will notice. To my mind raising the transom is a whole heap of potential problems that then puts the bigger thrust on the end of a bigger leaver. Put it as high as the mounting screws will let you - and possibly stick some 1" timber in any gap - but screwing and gluing is probably unnecessary.

Don't be surprised if you decide to upgrade after a year - in which case you already have the next size up of engine! If you sell it they are like rocking horse poo and you'll never find another.

If you are worried about overpowering the transom you can probably derate the engine to 9.9 easily enough (find the instructions for going the otherway and reverse - it will be a temporary thing!) or just modify/adjust the throttle stop so you can't get full power.

The issues with overpowering are largely warranty and insurance etc (once you've dealt with the practical stuff of the transom falling off!). With such an old boat the former is obviously irrelevant. Insurance could be an issue - but I'd guess most SIBs aren't even insured so your cover will be better than most!

There may of course be someone on here with a 9.9 short shaft looking to swap...
Old 11 July 2011, 23:46   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Are you sure that Zed is Hypalon? The 80s one I had definitely wasn't.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 07:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I would be tempted to just stick it on and live with it!

If you are planning to use it in the lakes then a 10 mph speed limit will prevent you getting too keen with the power anyway.

I suppose there might be too much back pressure in the exhaust from being too deep - but I doubt on a sib with an ickle engine you will notice. To my mind raising the transom is a whole heap of potential problems that then puts the bigger thrust on the end of a bigger leaver. Put it as high as the mounting screws will let you - and possibly stick some 1" timber in any gap - but screwing and gluing is probably unnecessary.

Don't be surprised if you decide to upgrade after a year - in which case you already have the next size up of engine! If you sell it they are like rocking horse poo and you'll never find another.

If you are worried about overpowering the transom you can probably derate the engine to 9.9 easily enough (find the instructions for going the otherway and reverse - it will be a temporary thing!) or just modify/adjust the throttle stop so you can't get full power.

The issues with overpowering are largely warranty and insurance etc (once you've dealt with the practical stuff of the transom falling off!). With such an old boat the former is obviously irrelevant. Insurance could be an issue - but I'd guess most SIBs aren't even insured so your cover will be better than most!

There may of course be someone on here with a 9.9 short shaft looking to swap...
Yes that was my main worry by putting extra pressure on the existing transom if i heightened it, i obviously won't be opening the throttle to full but then again i didn't want to be meandering across the lake at a couple of miles an hour scared if i go any faster i'd flip the boat. I think my main concern was stability, by having the motor lower (the transom bracket to cavitation plate is 22" btw) in the water i was thinking if i set off too fast then the front of the boat is going to rise sharply out of the water with a chance of flipping Another thing i forgot to ask, i'd like to fit a kill cord (just incase!) how easy is this to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Are you sure that Zed is Hypalon? The 80s one I had definitely wasn't.
The guy i bought it off said it was, and i've looked inside the tubes and its the same colour as the outside. Is there another way of checking? It's an early 80's Zed which after researching online Zodiac made hypalon zeds upto 83ish?
Old 12 July 2011, 12:07   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed_Head View Post
Yes that was my main worry by putting extra pressure on the existing transom if i heightened it, i obviously won't be opening the throttle to full but then again i didn't want to be meandering across the lake at a couple of miles an hour scared if i go any faster i'd flip the boat. I think my main concern was stability, by having the motor lower (the transom bracket to cavitation plate is 22" btw) in the water i was thinking if i set off too fast then the front of the boat is going to rise sharply out of the water with a chance of flipping
Either find out how it is restriced in the 9.9 version (probably a <£5 part) or restrict the throttle opening and gradually back it off to where you are happy with for the correct "yee-ha" level.

Quote:
Another thing i forgot to ask, i'd like to fit a kill cord (just incase!) how easy is this to do?
Pretty simple. How old is the engine that it doesn't have one? You'll be able to buy a retrofit kit on ebay. If there is already a "stop switch" (red button) then it is just a quick job with a drill and some wire crimps (use good waterproof connectors with heatshrink as kill switches are notorious for failing due to dodging connections). If there is no stop circuit just now then post more details of the engine and I am sure someone will be along to advise where best to wire it.
Old 12 July 2011, 17:45   #6

Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
Which lake do you go on? Im up there quite a few weekends of the year & im also new (ish) to boats. In the middle of looking for an engine for mine, which is seeming impossible to find one to fit the bill!
Old 12 July 2011, 18:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Either find out how it is restriced in the 9.9 version (probably a <£5 part) or restrict the throttle opening and gradually back it off to where you are happy with for the correct "yee-ha" level.

Pretty simple. How old is the engine that it doesn't have one? You'll be able to buy a retrofit kit on ebay. If there is already a "stop switch" (red button) then it is just a quick job with a drill and some wire crimps (use good waterproof connectors with heatshrink as kill switches are notorious for failing due to dodging connections). If there is no stop circuit just now then post more details of the engine and I am sure someone will be along to advise where best to wire it.
Im unsure the exact year the engine is all i know is "1980's" there is a stop switch next to the pull cord and i have a friend who's an electrical genius (his words not mine) so looks like i can call in that favour he owes me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWman View Post
Which lake do you go on? Im up there quite a few weekends of the year & im also new (ish) to boats. In the middle of looking for an engine for mine, which is seeming impossible to find one to fit the bill!
Coniston at the moment, i have friends who are in a long distance swimming club and i look out for other boats etc. I haven't had the Zed on the water yet as i want to get the transom/engine issue sorted first. When thats done i'll be registering for use on Windermere aswell. I also fancy a trip out on saltwater to a nearby island where you can camp etc but im waiting for another heatwave
Old 12 July 2011, 20:15   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:

The guy i bought it off said it was, and i've looked inside the tubes and its the same colour as the outside. Is there another way of checking? It's an early 80's Zed which after researching online Zodiac made hypalon zeds upto 83ish?
What colour is it? The PVC ones are beige with a blue spray deck.

Old 12 July 2011, 20:37   #9

Quote:
What colour is it? The PVC ones are beige with a blue spray deck.
Its beige with a brown spray deck, the seams are glued rather than heat welded were early PVC boats glued? i haven't tried an aceytone test yet as i don't have any.
Old 12 July 2011, 20:41   #10

Quote:
Coniston at the moment, i have friends who are in a long distance swimming club and i look out for other boats etc. I haven't had the Zed on the water yet as i want to get the transom/engine issue sorted first. When thats done i'll be registering for use on Windermere aswell. I also fancy a trip out on saltwater to a nearby island where you can camp etc but im waiting for another heatwave
Nice, the nearby island wouldnt be peel island would it?
You wouldnt catch me swimming in them lakes! haha, cold is only half of it. Im around ullswater usually every other weekend or more, but plan to get on windermere at some point to do some pike fishing.
Old 12 July 2011, 20:45   #11
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Its beige with a brown spray deck, the seams are glued rather than heat welded were early PVC boats glued? i haven't tried an aceytone test yet as i don't have any.
Got a pic?

Old 12 July 2011, 21:06   #12

Quote:
Nice, the nearby island wouldnt be peel island would it?
You wouldnt catch me swimming in them lakes! haha, cold is only half of it. Im around ullswater usually every other weekend or more, but plan to get on windermere at some point to do some pike fishing.
Yes the island i Piel, haven't been over since i was a nipper and the pubs just opened on there afte refurbishment so what better an excuse!! Yes the water in Coniston is VERY cold, which is why i sit in a canoe directing them . Ullswaters great, went up there few months ago, nice scenery but can get a little chilly with wind coming down off the fells.

Quote:
Got a pic?
Afraid not, im using my phone as pc's goosed, if you search on ebay there is the exact same one still for sale
Old 12 July 2011, 21:20   #13

Also while we're (sort of) on the subject of saltwater, i know after you have used the motor in saltwater you have to flush it with fresh but how soon does it have to be done, straight away?? next day?? within a week etc
Old 12 July 2011, 21:26   #14

Quote:
Yes the island i Piel, haven't been over since i was a nipper and the pubs just opened on there afte refurbishment so what better an excuse!! Yes the water in Coniston is VERY cold, which is why i sit in a canoe directing them . Ullswaters great, went up there few months ago, nice scenery but can get a little chilly with wind coming down off the fells.
I have never been to Piel island myself, i just remember being on an RYA powerboat course up at whitehaven along with the "princess" of the island. I remember it well, as when it was her turn to control the boat(8m(?) humber 150hp optimax out in a force 5/6) she nearly turned it over!
It does get breezy, especially on the bend near howtown, although the small waves that get wipped up almost adds excitement to the 10mph speed limit.
Oh wait, im only managing 6mph-7 with the wind behind- 2up + gear due to my lack of engine size!
Old 12 July 2011, 21:28   #15

Quote:
Also while we're (sort of) on the subject of saltwater, i know after you have used the motor in saltwater you have to flush it with fresh but how soon does it have to be done, straight away?? next day?? within a week etc
I think the sooner, the better. That way it should have less time to start to corrode
Old 12 July 2011, 21:34   #16

Quote:
I have never been to Piel island myself, i just remember being on an RYA powerboat course up at whitehaven along with the "princess" of the island. I remember it well, as when it was her turn to control the boat(8m(?) humber 150hp optimax out in a force 5/6) she nearly turned it over!
It does get breezy, especially on the bend near howtown, although the small waves that get wipped up almost adds excitement to the 10mph speed limit.
Oh wait, im only managing 6mph-7 with the wind behind- 2up + gear due to my lack of engine size!
haha yes the "princess" ive never had the opportunity to meet HRH!! As for engine size what have you got, im the complete opposite at the moment, ive got a fantastic engine thats too big for my boat, plus its a long shaft!

Quote:
I think the sooner, the better. That way it should have less time to start to corrode
Hmmmm bugger, thats what i thought, could be a problem if wanting to camp on Piel as i wouldn't be able to flush until the following day at the earliest
Old 12 July 2011, 21:45   #17
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:

Afraid not, im using my phone as pc's goosed, if you search on ebay there is the exact same one still for sale
Ah, different to our old one-pic of that one here:-

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....8&d=1174745389

Old 12 July 2011, 21:52   #18

Quote:
Ah, different to our old one-pic of that one here:-

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....8&d=1174745389

Now im really confused, i said earlier that when i checked inside the tubes it was the same colour believing that was an indicator it was hypalon (im sure i read that on a forum somewhere) just had a quick browse on internet now and most are saying if its the same colour inside as out then its PVC?
Old 12 July 2011, 22:05   #19
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Have a look at the seams on yours, vs the ones on my old one (no horizontal tube seams) and the one on Ebay. Mine was definitely Strongon (PVC).

Old 12 July 2011, 22:14   #20

Quote:
haha yes the "princess" ive never had the opportunity to meet HRH!! As for engine size what have you got, im the complete opposite at the moment, ive got a fantastic engine thats too big for my boat, plus its a long shaft!

Hmmmm bugger, thats what i thought, could be a problem if wanting to camp on Piel as i wouldn't be able to flush until the following day at the earliest
Hahaa, if you ever do make sure shes not driving the boat!
At the moment, iv got a 4hp mercury which i have carried over from the 2.5m inflatable i had before. Both of which belonged to my dad. Now im sorting myself out with something a bit better. Engine wise, on the lookout for something upto 30hp now though, theres not much that comes up at the right price & condition though. So gotta be quick if something viable is on offer.
If your going over to Piel, leaving it for a day or so before flushing is very unlikely to cause any damage, but i think if its constant / more frequent use in salt water, thats when it would start to take affect.