Click Here to Login

Old 12 July 2011, 22:23   #21

Boat name: Zed
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Evinrude 15HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Have a look at the seams on yours, vs the ones on my old one (no horizontal tube seams) and the one on Ebay. Mine was definitely Strongon (PVC).
Mine is the same seams as the one on ebay, another tell tale sign (apparently) is you can normally see bits of old glue thats has discoloured and turned brown on seam joints etc on hypalon boats, you can see those on the pics on ebay and also on my boat. Guess i'll never know until i take it in for a repair!!
Old 12 July 2011, 22:52   #22

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
I have an 80's ZED 34 - tubes same inside as out - it is most definataly PVC.
Old 12 July 2011, 23:03   #23

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
This'll be your island destination then??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piel resized.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	60820  
Old 13 July 2011, 11:52   #24

Yes thats the one, she's a beauty!!

Im posting off my phone again so hopefully this link will work!!

m.guardian.co.uk
Old 13 July 2011, 13:17   #25

Town: Lancashire
How far is it to Piel island? If you do end up going, make sure you put some pics of it up, wouldnt mind seeing what the trips like
Old 14 July 2011, 20:17   #26

How far?? depends where you launch from. The channel is not wide BUT it is very busy at certain times. I have just delivered back a 36 knot,12m rib ( well not really a rib but it looks like one and thats what everyone calls it) and arrived at Piel around 5pm. So many windfarm boats coming in to Barrow-like a main line station. Ya dont wanna be crossing in front of that lot
Our trips were very pleasant barrow to Workington yesterday and back from Workington today, trimmed up and flat out, suspension seats ironing out the waves in a boat with all the bells and whistles - and they pay me to do it---ah bliss
Old 14 July 2011, 20:33   #27

Town: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
How far?? depends where you launch from. The channel is not wide BUT it is very busy at certain times. I have just delivered back a 36 knot,12m rib ( well not really a rib but it looks like one and thats what everyone calls it) and arrived at Piel around 5pm. So many windfarm boats coming in to Barrow-like a main line station. Ya dont wanna be crossing in front of that lot
Our trips were very pleasant barrow to Workington yesterday and back from Workington today, trimmed up and flat out, suspension seats ironing out the waves in a boat with all the bells and whistles - and they pay me to do it---ah bliss
Can i have one of those jobs please! Good on you! haha, just thinking if the crossings quite far is it do-able by sib?
Old 15 July 2011, 20:55   #28

This is the chart plotter as we came up on Walney Island. Line of windfarm vessels approaching Barrow shown as the blue arrowheads. We are shown as the black vessel.
Piel is circled in red with red arrow and on the port side of the vessels as they enter the channel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ais resize piel circled.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	60865  
Old 15 July 2011, 21:03   #29

and just to **** you off this is the top of the AIS/plotter/radar/sounder showing our speed and heading
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plotter heading resize.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	60866  
Old 21 July 2011, 23:28   #30

An article in the local paper detailing how dangerous the tides are at Piel, i've witnessed the tide coming in here and believe me its faster than you can run!!

Tragedy prevented by quick acting ferryman

A DAD and his six-year-old daughter were rescued after they became trapped on a sandbank by the incoming tide.

By Suzanne Murphy

The holidaymakers were rescued by the local ferryman John Cleasby just as Barrow RNLI lifeboat was about to be launched.

The incident has prompted a rescue spokesman to warn people of the dangers of walking on the sands.

The alarm was raised at 1.05pm yesterday.

Barrow’s RNLI inshore lifeboats were paged to launch immediately to a report of a man and girl trapped on a sandbank between Piel Island and Walney, by the incoming tide.

The crew had the lifeboat on the slipway and about to launch by 1.10pm when they were approached by local ferryman who had two people on board his boat.

They were a 41-year-old man and his daughter from Scotland, who had been holidaying in the area.

The man told crews he had asked advice from local people about walking from Walney to Piel, across the sands, and he had either been advised wrongly or misunderstood the instructions given.

John Falvey, Barrow lifeboat spokesman said they had spent the morning looking around Piel then had set off to return to Walney just as the tide was flooding in.

He said: “One channel comes around the west side of Piel Island whilst the main channel comes around the east side, and completely surrounds the island and anyone on the sand.

“Luckily, local ferryman, John Cleasby saw what was happening and went to their aid. They were a little bit shaken when they realised what could have happened, and were extremely grateful to John, the lifeboat crew who turned out to help, and also to the gentleman who kindly offered to drive them back to Walney.

“We would like to remind the public that walking on the sand can be very dangerous if they don’t know what they are doing, or choose to go at the wrong time of day.

“Our advice would be, go as part of an organised walk, or catch the ferry, but if in doubt don’t chance walking it on your own, stay safely on shore.”
Old 22 July 2011, 08:24   #31

Tides, big uns, are a feature of boating in Morecambe Bay. As we say on courses if you can do it here you are ok for anywhere. Been a few folk drowned there, notably after the pub has shut and they are on their way back to boat in a dinghy in the dark. But most yottiie casualties are from the boarding boat wherever you are. Anyone trying to walk across low water sandbanks in Morecambe Bay without vast local knowledge is asking for trouble. As a coastguard here I've dragged quite a few survivors ashore and also others who didnt make it
Bottom line is dont go into the bay in a little boat unless you have a good idea what you are doing-it aint Windermere! I'm going in an hour or so after we have done the onshore bit of this course
Old 22 July 2011, 09:22   #32

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Tides, big uns, are a feature of boating in Morecambe Bay. As we say on courses if you can do it here you are ok for anywhere. Been a few folk drowned there, notably after the pub has shut and they are on their way back to boat in a dinghy in the dark. But most yottiie casualties are from the boarding boat wherever you are. Anyone trying to walk across low water sandbanks in Morecambe Bay without vast local knowledge is asking for trouble. As a coastguard here I've dragged quite a few survivors ashore and also others who didnt make it
Bottom line is dont go into the bay in a little boat unless you have a good idea what you are doing-it aint Windermere! I'm going in an hour or so after we have done the onshore bit of this course
Have a look at this clip click the top bar .
url=
Old 22 July 2011, 18:28   #33

the voice of Cedric on there, the Queen's sand pilot. Doesnt hang about does it? The problem is with big tides and shallow banks the level rises til it gets to the top edge of the bank and then it rushes over the top and races in "faster than a horse can gallop" Lovely colour up there in the top of the bay....some folk muck about in boats, up there you boat about in muck Lovely day out today flat calm, blue sky, blue sea a few porpoises and a big old seal
Old 22 July 2011, 19:28   #34

Good video, ive walked across the bay with Cedric as the guide, very eery place when your out there with him telling you storys about seeing tractors and fully grown horses getting pulled under the quicksand, i downloaded a C4 documentry after the walk called Ghosts which was about the chinese cockle pickers that died while working the sands, very sad how it happened, not just the cockle picking incident but how they came to be here and the people who were supposed to be looking after them.
Old 22 July 2011, 21:00   #35

yes a tragic night.
I was on a flight to a foreign training job but daughter was out there as navigator on the all weather lifeboat. As we got on the plane we got a text to say "launched on service 26 people missing, B****y hell its rough"
When we got off in Chile we got another text
" back home, still 26 people missing, going to uni now for an exam, need sleep!!"

There were in excess of 100 stuck out there in a single incident since. But that incident was in daytime in summer, involved an awful lot of helicopter trips but they were all taken off.
Old 17 October 2011, 09:59   #36

day off, and a busmans holiday took the ribs to piel for an end of season blast. This happy couple were amongst dozens of others hanging about near the island
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seals resize.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	63291  
Old 17 October 2011, 10:03   #37

and a welcoming committee on the jetty, but a 9m tide left us no room to tie up without being bounced on the rocks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	welcoming committee.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	63292  
Old 17 October 2011, 10:06   #38

theres the pub and the castle...but not much jetty left, and there is still an hour of flood to go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	landing peel resize.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	63293  
Old 17 October 2011, 10:12   #39

it was rough on the way over but considerably better on the way back with the tide having eased off. This, in the middle of nowhere, would have been difficult to spot in the rough stuff. Even pot markers (should) have a black flag 1m above the water level. This **** just had its aerial. You wouldnt want to hit this, or entangle its buoyed up line, at speed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	waveBuoy resize.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	63294  
Old 17 October 2011, 10:26   #40
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
it was rough on the way over but considerably better on the way back with the tide having eased off. This, in the middle of nowhere, would have been difficult to spot in the rough stuff. Even pot markers (should) have a black flag 1m above the water level. This **** just had its aerial. You wouldnt want to hit this, or entangle its buoyed up line, at speed.
What is it?