Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 January 2013, 17:13   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
hey guys...help needed!!

hey guys!!...seems to be a great active forum...which is just what I need!!

Recently aquired an avon inflatable, it has a plate on the back which states that it takes a motor up to 6ph, and a max of four people...its around 2 metres in length, and is in overall decent condition....only problem is that it has a puncture...its not that big, but I must admit I'm pretty scared about tackling it!!...its on a flat section on one of the tubes, not on a seam, but I just wanna make sure I get it right, especially as my two kids will be joining me on it! (oh, and the missus, but thats less of a problem!!)

First of all...does anyone know of anywhere around the bury st edmunds area, in suffolk, where I might get it fixed professionally, and if not, would it be hard to do a decent job of it myself?

cheers in advance guys!!!
__________________

__________________
suffolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2013, 17:29   #2
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk View Post
only problem is that it has a puncture...its not that big
How big of a puncture are we talking about? It could be a super simple repair, and easily accomplished by yourself, but first do you have a measurement of the damage and or picture?
__________________

__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2013, 17:31   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
There's probably somewhere nearer, but Fineways in Wroxham (so about 50 miles from you) will repair it. http://www.boatsandwatersportswebsit...ineway-leisure

It sounds like a pretty easy repair so give it a go your self
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2013, 17:32   #4
maz
Member
 
maz's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fingringhoe
Make: Plastimo
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner 5HP
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 20
I had a 50p sized hole chewed in my SIB by mice and after seeking advice on here I repaired it myself. It was pretty easy and the boat holds it's air perfectly well. My advice would be to take your time over it and make sure you buy the right repair kit (PVC or Hypalon).
I don't know about places local to you but in Brightlingsea on the Essex coast there is Morgan Marine who supplied me with everything I needed at a fair price.
Don't be afraid to fix it yourself! Good luck.
__________________
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2013, 17:47   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
hey guys...hole is no bigger than a 20p...seems i should man up and try to fix it myself!!,...could anyone recommend a hyperlon kit that has the patch and 2 part glue, that they know is reliable? cheers!!
__________________
suffolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2013, 18:09   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk View Post
hey guys...hole is no bigger than a 20p...seems i should man up and try to fix it myself!!,...could anyone recommend a hyperlon kit that has the patch and 2 part glue, that they know is reliable? cheers!!
Google ribshop....they will everything you need and if I recall right they will send you instructions too...and if your not sure just post or search on here..lots of repair posts :-)
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2013, 18:13   #7
maz
Member
 
maz's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fingringhoe
Make: Plastimo
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner 5HP
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Google ribshop....they will everything you need and if I recall right they will send you instructions too...and if your not sure just post or search on here..lots of repair posts :-)
I forgot about Ribshop; I can vouch for them too. Very good advice and service.
__________________
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2013, 18:14   #8
Member
 
simon23's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: liverpool
Make: tohatsu6.1 one desig
Length: 6m +
Engine: mariner 125hp
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 357
I used one made buy bostic to repair a 12"slash in my tornado holds air perfect their are lots of kits on ebay and demo's on you tube.have a go
__________________
simon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2013, 19:02   #9
Dhf
Member
 
Dhf's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk View Post
hey guys!!...seems to be a great active forum...which is just what I need!!

Recently aquired an avon inflatable, it has a plate on the back which states that it takes a motor up to 6ph, and a max of four people...its around 2 metres in length, and is in overall decent condition....only problem is that it has a puncture...its not that big, but I must admit I'm pretty scared about tackling it!!...its on a flat section on one of the tubes, not on a seam, but I just wanna make sure I get it right, especially as my two kids will be joining me on it! (oh, and the missus, but thats less of a problem!!)

First of all...does anyone know of anywhere around the bury st edmunds area, in suffolk, where I might get it fixed professionally, and if not, would it be hard to do a decent job of it myself?

cheers in advance guys!!!
Hi Suffolk, and welcome to Ribnet,

I've not done this job for a while but the trick used to be, get a good kee around the damaged area, apply glue to patch and area on boat, then wait till just touch dry and apply, on a nice flat surface pushing from the middle out. as mentioned there's some good examples on youtube.
Cheers
__________________
Dhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2013, 13:13   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
hey guys...thanks for all the help...I have explored further and it seems its a bigger/different job than I thought!! I have removed the takes that I thought had a small hole underneath, and it suddenly dawned on me that its not that at all!!...The area that I was removing the tape from WAS THE PATCH!!

The patch is about the size of the top of a mug (of tea!) and the edges are flapping up slightly, letting the air escape from around the edges!! OOOOOps!!!

Question now is whether I remove the patch (or try too, as it seems stuck pretty fast apart from the edges)...or do I patch over the old patch, and leave a good border all the way around, sticking to fresh boat!! cheers for any advice!!
__________________

__________________
suffolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.