Old 03 January 2013, 21:13   #1

Length: under 3m
hey guys...help needed!!

hey guys!!...seems to be a great active forum...which is just what I need!!

Recently aquired an avon inflatable, it has a plate on the back which states that it takes a motor up to 6ph, and a max of four people...its around 2 metres in length, and is in overall decent condition....only problem is that it has a puncture...its not that big, but I must admit I'm pretty scared about tackling it!!...its on a flat section on one of the tubes, not on a seam, but I just wanna make sure I get it right, especially as my two kids will be joining me on it! (oh, and the missus, but thats less of a problem!!)

First of all...does anyone know of anywhere around the bury st edmunds area, in suffolk, where I might get it fixed professionally, and if not, would it be hard to do a decent job of it myself?

cheers in advance guys!!!
Old 03 January 2013, 21:29   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk View Post
only problem is that it has a puncture...its not that big
How big of a puncture are we talking about? It could be a super simple repair, and easily accomplished by yourself, but first do you have a measurement of the damage and or picture?
Old 03 January 2013, 21:31   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
There's probably somewhere nearer, but Fineways in Wroxham (so about 50 miles from you) will repair it. http://www.boatsandwatersportswebsit...ineway-leisure

It sounds like a pretty easy repair so give it a go your self
Old 03 January 2013, 21:32   #4
maz

Town: Fingringhoe
Make: Plastimo
Engine: Mariner 5HP
I had a 50p sized hole chewed in my SIB by mice and after seeking advice on here I repaired it myself. It was pretty easy and the boat holds it's air perfectly well. My advice would be to take your time over it and make sure you buy the right repair kit (PVC or Hypalon).
I don't know about places local to you but in Brightlingsea on the Essex coast there is Morgan Marine who supplied me with everything I needed at a fair price.
Don't be afraid to fix it yourself! Good luck.
Old 03 January 2013, 21:47   #5

hey guys...hole is no bigger than a 20p...seems i should man up and try to fix it myself!!,...could anyone recommend a hyperlon kit that has the patch and 2 part glue, that they know is reliable? cheers!!
Old 03 January 2013, 22:09   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
hey guys...hole is no bigger than a 20p...seems i should man up and try to fix it myself!!,...could anyone recommend a hyperlon kit that has the patch and 2 part glue, that they know is reliable? cheers!!
Google ribshop....they will everything you need and if I recall right they will send you instructions too...and if your not sure just post or search on here..lots of repair posts :-)
Old 03 January 2013, 22:13   #7
maz

Town: Fingringhoe
Make: Plastimo
Engine: Mariner 5HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Google ribshop....they will everything you need and if I recall right they will send you instructions too...and if your not sure just post or search on here..lots of repair posts :-)
I forgot about Ribshop; I can vouch for them too. Very good advice and service.
Old 03 January 2013, 22:14   #8

Town: liverpool
Make: tohatsu6.1 one desig
Length: 6m +
Engine: mariner 125hp
I used one made buy bostic to repair a 12"slash in my tornado holds air perfect their are lots of kits on ebay and demo's on you tube.have a go
Old 03 January 2013, 23:02   #9
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
hey guys!!...seems to be a great active forum...which is just what I need!!

Recently aquired an avon inflatable, it has a plate on the back which states that it takes a motor up to 6ph, and a max of four people...its around 2 metres in length, and is in overall decent condition....only problem is that it has a puncture...its not that big, but I must admit I'm pretty scared about tackling it!!...its on a flat section on one of the tubes, not on a seam, but I just wanna make sure I get it right, especially as my two kids will be joining me on it! (oh, and the missus, but thats less of a problem!!)

First of all...does anyone know of anywhere around the bury st edmunds area, in suffolk, where I might get it fixed professionally, and if not, would it be hard to do a decent job of it myself?

cheers in advance guys!!!
Hi Suffolk, and welcome to Ribnet,

I've not done this job for a while but the trick used to be, get a good kee around the damaged area, apply glue to patch and area on boat, then wait till just touch dry and apply, on a nice flat surface pushing from the middle out. as mentioned there's some good examples on youtube.
Cheers
Old 04 January 2013, 17:13   #10

hey guys...thanks for all the help...I have explored further and it seems its a bigger/different job than I thought!! I have removed the takes that I thought had a small hole underneath, and it suddenly dawned on me that its not that at all!!...The area that I was removing the tape from WAS THE PATCH!!

The patch is about the size of the top of a mug (of tea!) and the edges are flapping up slightly, letting the air escape from around the edges!! OOOOOps!!!

Question now is whether I remove the patch (or try too, as it seems stuck pretty fast apart from the edges)...or do I patch over the old patch, and leave a good border all the way around, sticking to fresh boat!! cheers for any advice!!
Old 04 January 2013, 17:44   #11

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
I would remove the patch, clean then key an area slightly larger than the original patch. You can chamfer the top edges of your new patch with sand paper if you lay the edge along a dowel (broomhandle is ideal). This helps prevent them catching again.
All you have to do really is be very even with glue application and rolling from centre after. Room temperature is good too.
I must say that however much care I take, there is a certain Mr Banyard in Lostwithiel that makes patches on tubes seem utterly desirable!!
Old 04 January 2013, 19:28   #12

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Use a heat gun to remove the old patch. I would also take Acetone or MEK and clean off all the old glue as it failed. I found neoprene gloves provide hand protection, and scuffy pad does a great job of removing the glue without removing material. Once clean rough up the area, and rough up a patch slightly larger than what is on there now. Make sure all edges are rounded meaning circles are better than squares. Follow the gluing instructions and you should be good to go!
Old 08 January 2013, 13:24   #13

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Jammy Dodger
Make: Avon Adventure 7.20
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to willfinch36
Hello, good to see another person from Suffolk on here!

Cheers,

Will
Old 10 January 2013, 16:40   #14

hey will!!....wish I lived a bit closer to the water to be honest! wife, kids and I have spent the last nine years in cornwall, so its a bit of a shock to be honest!

Dont spose you fancy helping fit a patch to a battered avon do you!! lol !!

cheers
Old 11 January 2013, 11:42   #15

Quote:
hey will!!....wish I lived a bit closer to the water to be honest! wife, kids and I have spent the last nine years in cornwall, so its a bit of a shock to be honest!

Dont spose you fancy helping fit a patch to a battered avon do you!! lol !!

cheers
Unfortunately I have never done a patch before, where exactly are you located?
Old 11 January 2013, 12:52   #16

hi again mate...im just outside stowmarket! looking for a dinghy of some sort too....like a mirror dinghy or similar...dont spose you know of any locally? cheers!!
Old 11 January 2013, 12:54   #17

Quote:
hi again mate...im just outside stowmarket! looking for a dinghy of some sort too....like a mirror dinghy or similar...dont spose you know of any locally? cheers!!
Im inbetween Ipswich and Colchester.

hmmm I've got a mirror as well!

Best bet is to keep an eye out on ebay etc as you can pick a decent one up for under £100!