Old 12 September 2012, 23:42   #41

Length: 8m +
Engine: 300HP Yam
Got to agree with that! 110kg is a lot, though that seams about the norm for a 50/60hp FOUR stroke nowadays. That's the main reason why I went for my 50hp Tohatsu TLDI engine (2 stroke injection). It weights in at 95kg with power tilt and trim!
Old 13 September 2012, 02:39   #42

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
I'd say that an Etec 40Hp would be just about the worst possible engine to have on a Futura - I now doubt that the 50Hp would be much better. The 40/50/60 all weigh in at a mammoth 110kg!

IMO, it's the sheer weight of some of these modern outboards that's the limiting factor.
Well what do you think would be the best? I just sold my 40 half an hour ago. I need a motor!
Old 13 September 2012, 05:03   #43

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
FWIW, I went from a 15 pitch to a 17 pitched prop on my 40 and only gained about 2 mph, maxing out at about 31 mph. I think the hull is main the limiting factor now. I'm hoping more HP might gain me a little more speed, but also will allow me to reach close to max speed with a greater payload, i.e. 3 or 4 fully kitted divers.
Which again makes me wonder if I need to go with 60 HP, or if 50 might suffice.
My 1993 Evinrude must be broke! It is bolted to a MKII Futura Sport GT. I have a 11 3/4" x 17" and top out at 28.5 mph max, in rough water solo. Usually slower though around 24 mph loaded and can only hit 4,800 RPM. I have been searching for a 15" pitch prop, wanna sell yours? Sounds like our boats have similar purposes...to get divers out to dive sites.
Old 13 September 2012, 13:04   #44

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
You need to achieve higher RPMs, by going to a 15 pitch. I have a brand new unused one in the original box. You could probably get one closer to home though, for less than it would cost me to ship mine from Canada.
Maybe your motor is a little tired. Check the compression.
My previous boat was a Classic Mk II C. With 25 HP and 15 pitch I could make close to 25 mph alone in the boat. For diving and general all-round use, 13 pitch was a better choice but maxed out at about 23 mph, IIRC.