Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 April 2012, 08:32   #11
Member
 
thestig1973's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 490
Transom wheels look well made and should take the weight without problems, zodiac website/dealer should advise max weight, they can be fitted/ removed easily while in the water, just hook the transom wheel leg onto a round metal lug on your sib, and place a bolt through transom (from inside boat) and screw it into transom wheel leg...... Takes seconds to fit/ remove
__________________

__________________
thestig1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 09:47   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu TLDI
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 128
That all sounds good!

Just got this email from Zodiac too...

"...Yes you can use the launching wheels with a 60HP outboard which is the maximum engine size for this boat.
After launching you would need to loosen the wing nut from the launching wheel leg and pull it up from the transom and store in the boat.
Obviously because of the heavy weight of the boat and engine the launching wheels are of great benefit to get the boat to the water.
Hope this helps..."

Though I have replied to Zodiac asking them if they give a max weight rating for these transom wheels. Will be benifitial to know if I am close to the limit or not! I guess I can/will remove the petrol tank and other bits when pulling the boat out of the water on these transom wheels to make it lighter. Also I could also remove the seats and steering consol if really needed to make it lighter still! I think from memory I read they had quick fit connections, no tools needed, is this true? Thanks.
__________________

__________________
J@mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 10:05   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 352
The seats are fairly easy to remove, but not terribly heavy - so I'm not sure that it's worth it.

The console with steering and throttle attached (plus the third seat) is not easy or quick to remove however. I would remove the fuel tank, anchor and any other bits and pieces though!

We had a Mk3 HD Futura for about 5 years and it was fantastic in smooth water and good in small waves like on your vimeo video - so probably just right for protected waters in the med. In bigger waves your back suffered as it slammed on landing (no deep V hull).

It was heavy for two adults to drag in a few inches of water (without transom wheels admittedly) and I would check the load rating of your crane & winch too.

We had a 50hp 2 stroke Yamaha and it was happy towing adult waterskiers and various ringo type toys.
__________________
BumbleAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 11:29   #14
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
The transom wheels I had from Zodiac would handle the weight of a 60hp. The tires (tyres lol) are so buoyant they were a bit difficult to fit in the water. But once on they were stout. I'm more worried about the steps/hill you have to get it up. While 15m isn't very far you might want to arrange a winch to help.

The area looks nice the futura would do well there. Don't forget to vent the tubes though!! They don't come with OPVs
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 18:24   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu TLDI
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleAbout View Post
The seats are fairly easy to remove, but not terribly heavy - so I'm not sure that it's worth it.

The console with steering and throttle attached (plus the third seat) is not easy or quick to remove however. I would remove the fuel tank, anchor and any other bits and pieces though!

We had a Mk3 HD Futura for about 5 years and it was fantastic in smooth water and good in small waves like on your vimeo video - so probably just right for protected waters in the med. In bigger waves your back suffered as it slammed on landing (no deep V hull).

It was heavy for two adults to drag in a few inches of water (without transom wheels admittedly) and I would check the load rating of your crane & winch too.

We had a 50hp 2 stroke Yamaha and it was happy towing adult waterskiers and various ringo type toys.
ok thanks for all of that!


Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
The transom wheels I had from Zodiac would handle the weight of a 60hp. The tires (tyres lol) are so buoyant they were a bit difficult to fit in the water. But once on they were stout. I'm more worried about the steps/hill you have to get it up. While 15m isn't very far you might want to arrange a winch to help.

The area looks nice the futura would do well there. Don't forget to vent the tubes though!! They don't come with OPVs
Here are two pics I have dug out of the slip way. They are not great but still and lol at my friend, his first time in the sun!






As you can see the two steps are small, but the water level is unfortunately in between the two steps (just above the first step) rather than being above both, which would make life easier when pulling boats in up the slip way!

I think/hope the transom wheels will do the job nicely of getting the boat (with engine on!) out of the water. If I struggle to pull the boat out of the water with my dads help then we will use a long rope attached to the crane to help pull it up and over the steps. Once on the slip way we should be able to pull boat on the transom wheels up the slip way about 5m to below the crane. Then we will crane the boat up to the boat deck level, and once it has been cleaned and ready for storage it will just be a case of rolling it into the boat house which is again only a few metres away!


As for venting the tubes and OPVs, can you please explain what you mean?! I assume its to do with the heat and the air pressure in the tubes? Thanks!
__________________
J@mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 18:58   #16
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
I think you'll need the crane to help the transom wheels lift the motor over that step. Or maybe build a little mobile ramp for each wheel to ride over the steps on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@mes View Post
As for venting the tubes and OPVs, can you please explain what you mean?! I assume its to do with the heat and the air pressure in the tubes? Thanks!
Yes you will need to drain a good amount of air out of the tubes. Or when they get hot (midday or worse out of the water) the gas inside will expand and split a seam. Basically ruining your new boat. Putting the boat back in the water the tubes will cool and they won't work as well underpressurized. So you'll need to pump them up a bit.

Some boats comes with over pressure valves to avoid splitting a seam, the futura does not and they are somewhat difficult to install after the fact.

You can get a pump with a gauge to ensure they are pumped up right in the water. They should be good and soft in storage to be able to handle any temperature swings while you're away.
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 19:14   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu TLDI
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
I think you'll need the crane to help the transom wheels lift the motor over that step. Or maybe build a little mobile ramp for each wheel to ride over the steps on.
That is a good idea, I did think of that. I think it will be worth trying it first and having a couple of lengths of wood to hand just in case. Once I try it I will soon know if I need to make a little ramp for each wheel!


Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Yes you will need to drain a good amount of air out of the tubes. Or when they get hot (midday or worse out of the water) the gas inside will expand and split a seam. Basically ruining your new boat. Putting the boat back in the water the tubes will cool and they won't work as well underpressurized. So you'll need to pump them up a bit.

Some boats comes with over pressure valves to avoid splitting a seam, the futura does not and they are somewhat difficult to install after the fact.

You can get a pump with a gauge to ensure they are pumped up right in the water. They should be good and soft in storage to be able to handle any temperature swings while you're away.
Surely Zodiac will supply a graph for the correct PSI for inflation at different temperatures, and all I need to do is pump the boat to the correct psi for the max temperature that would be seen out there (about 30c). But then weight/passengers would surely come into it too, lol I guess Zodiac will supply a PSI range for moderate load and a heavy load?!
__________________
J@mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2012, 18:44   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 145
Afraid we don't venture anywhere near to Southend with our boat, James.

We tend to launch from the Harwich area.

The 30hp is plenty for what we do (28 knots). To be honest, the boat is just a vehicle for getting out to fishing marks. In all the years we've had our own boats not once have we ever gone out on a mess about / cruise.

60hp would probably spoil the boat for what we do. More fuel, more weight, unnecessary power.

That said, I've got a mint Yamaha 70hp with trim tilt that and a stainless 24p prop that I've often wondered about fitting for a laugh. Christ knows how that would go!!!

One day...
__________________
My Videos

http://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2012, 19:25   #19
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by J@mes View Post
Surely Zodiac will supply a graph for the correct PSI for inflation at different temperatures, and all I need to do is pump the boat to the correct psi for the max temperature that would be seen out there (about 30c). But then weight/passengers would surely come into it too, lol I guess Zodiac will supply a PSI range for moderate load and a heavy load?!
It doesn't work that way. Load actually has nothing to do with tube pressure.

Regardless of the temperature the boat needs to be at the proper pressure to work right. Especially a SIB like the futura. As the day warms up you might need to vent air from the tubes. (I don't around here but our water is cold and it rarely gets that hot). When you pull it out of the water you will most definitely need to vent the tubes ASAP or the sun will heat them up and they will burst. The next day or week when you put it back in the water, everything will cool down and they will need to be topped up.

I use a scuba tank to fill my tubes. There are various electric pumps which have pressure cut-off points in them which also work well.
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2012, 21:05   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu TLDI
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
Afraid we don't venture anywhere near to Southend with our boat, James.

We tend to launch from the Harwich area.

The 30hp is plenty for what we do (28 knots). To be honest, the boat is just a vehicle for getting out to fishing marks. In all the years we've had our own boats not once have we ever gone out on a mess about / cruise.

60hp would probably spoil the boat for what we do. More fuel, more weight, unnecessary power.

That said, I've got a mint Yamaha 70hp with trim tilt that and a stainless 24p prop that I've often wondered about fitting for a laugh. Christ knows how that would go!!!

One day...
Oh that's a shame, nearest I have been is Mersey! lol

28 knots is good, that's 32mph! I take it you got that speed from your GPS fish finder gadget? According to Zodiac your boat (mark3 HD) does 60 Km/h (37mph) with one passenger, BUT it does not say with what size engine! I assume it is with the "max allowed" engine of 60 HP as opposed to the "min reccomended" 40 HP or the "max reccommended" 50 HP engine?! Maybe the 37mph speed they quote is with a 40 HP engine if your seeing a true 32mph from a 30 HP engine?!

I would say whack your 70 HP engine on just for "experimental purposes" to see what she can do! lol. If it weighs less than 120kg then your laughing! but then again its a lot of hassle if you purely use your boat for fishing only. Maybe your 30 HP engine will need a service soon, and whilst its off it could be a lovely hot weekend with calm flat seas, it would be rude not to try this experiment out!


Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
It doesn't work that way. Load actually has nothing to do with tube pressure.

Regardless of the temperature the boat needs to be at the proper pressure to work right. Especially a SIB like the futura. As the day warms up you might need to vent air from the tubes. (I don't around here but our water is cold and it rarely gets that hot). When you pull it out of the water you will most definitely need to vent the tubes ASAP or the sun will heat them up and they will burst. The next day or week when you put it back in the water, everything will cool down and they will need to be topped up.

I use a scuba tank to fill my tubes. There are various electric pumps which have pressure cut-off points in them which also work well.
Ok mate thanks, will bear this in mind! Shame you said there isn't any self venting valves available for the futura!
__________________

__________________
J@mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.