Old 04 November 2008, 23:37   #1

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
help with zodiac speedtubes

I have a 1998 zodiac futura sport. It has an aluminum floor. It also has the removable speedtubes. I noticed one of the tubes was leaking air and was going to take it out to repair it. I was wondering how you take them out witht he valves holding them firmly. I realized I needed to remove the valve before i can get the tube out. Is this an easy jog, does anyone know where I might find any info or instructions for this, thanks
Old 05 November 2008, 14:37   #2

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
valve removal

Removing the valve isn't a big deal. There is a special tool available for holding the inner valve piece, but I used a pair of needle nose pliers. Of course, care should be taken if the threaded nut on the outside of the valve body doesn't come apart easily. I have pulled all three speed tube valves on my zodiac without difficulty. Here is a link to a website that has pages with diagrams, instructions and parts lists. Helpful even if you don't require parts.
http://www.westportmarina.com/zodiac...eInstruct.html

The standard valve parts diagram.
http://www.westportmarina.com/zodiac/ZodValveParts.html
Old 05 November 2008, 16:25   #3

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
wifey knows all...

My wife reminded me that we did have a hard time using the spread pliers method to hold the valve body on the standard valves. Unlike the tube valves the standard valve just has a hexagonal opening with no molded in cross pieces. I bought a large bolt that had a hex head that just fit the opening and two nuts. The two nuts got backed up to each other tightly on the end of the bolt and were held by a crescent wrench. Then it was easy to keep the valve body stationary by inserting the bolts hex head into the valve opening. Wifey knows all...