Old 14 May 2015, 06:32   #1

Length: 3m +
Help with project

Hi all!
I have recently come into possession of a 3M SIB, she's in need of a little TLC but I'm hoping to get her out in the water before too long.
My main problem is, ive no idea its my first boat and im literally learning something new with every thread i read.
Lots of great info on here by the way :-)

So anyway the main problem is the previous owner was having a garden party one evening with a bonfire, when one of his friends mistakenly thought a part of the boat was scrap wood, chopped it in half and threw it on the fire!
Im not sure what the part is called, but it is the long timber beam that runs the length of the boat underneath the floor panels. It was recovered out of the fire but is badly fire damaged aswell as being chopped in half!
Looking at it, it's probably a good omen as it looks to have been broken and badly repaired in the past anyway.
Apart from that, the rubber in the air valves is deteriorated i assume due to age. They are the type that are metal with a rubber valve inside and screw into a metal thread on the boat. Once inflated a metal cap is then screwed over the top. Can i buy the rubber internals to fit to the existing part or do i need to source whole new male inserts?
Last but not least the boat appears to have been dragged at some point and is scuffed/damaged on the bottom (underneath) i dont think this is major, im fairly sure this damage was there when the previous owner used it but ideally I'd like to fix a strip down the centre of the underneath just to put that right.
Unfortunately i cant seem to add pictures using my phone it just crashes but will do from my computer later, any comments suggestions advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Gazz.
Old 14 May 2015, 07:46   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Gazz some images are key to us helping so we can work out the make and any problems.... or do you know the make/model anyway?

A long timber fitting under the floor sounds like a keel but there are very very few boats that have this arrangement (some Bombards in my experience)... usually this is an inflatable "sausage". I wonder if this is a DIY repair someone's made to replace a failed inflatable keel?

Is the floor timber panels?

Re the valves... we do need a picture... but most are repairable.
Old 14 May 2015, 07:50   #3

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
Hi Gazz and welcome!
Sounds like you've got a proper project going on.
1) did you pay much? i.e. if it turns out to be cheaper to buy new are you going to be upset?
2) what's the make, model and age of the boat?
3) as Fenlander said pictures are really needed
4) again I agree with fenlander, a wooden keel sounds a bit strange on a 3m SIB...

The valves, I'd probably just have new ones fitted. It sounds like it's an old boat. if the tubes are holding air and not perished then you could either try to repair the valves or I've just paid £40 for a new valve to be glued into my airdeck. If the repairer can find a matching new one to fit the part glued into the tubes then I was quoted only £10 for the valve itself, i.e. I've just paid £10 for the valve and £30 for someone's time to un-glue the existing female housing, replace it and re-glue in. At least then you'll know they are new.

The floor, if it works I'd be tempted to leave it (but then I'm lazy!). Some of the other guys will likely comment on glueing and removal of fabric.

Enjoy your new boat!
Old 15 May 2015, 14:35   #4

Old 15 May 2015, 14:36   #5

im trying to share/put images on using dropbox any reason why its not working?
Old 15 May 2015, 14:38   #6

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g35c0asqia..._8209.JPG?dl=0
Old 15 May 2015, 14:47   #7

ok, hopefully you should be able to view the folder with pics in by following this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/va0aqvujk...T5VXkU8la?dl=0

the boat already looks 10 times better since these were taken just by giving a good clean!!

blootac, the boat was given to me cheap by a close friend as apart from taking it on water a couple of times he never got round to doing anything with it and it was just sat in his garage so I don't mind spending a little money on it but not really too much :-/

the boat has ventura 320 on it as seen in pics, although I cant find anything by googling. as for age I've no idea.

Fenlander after looking online I think this does indeed create a keel and the timber looks original as there are plastic 'brackets' or slots on the floor of the boat that it slots into. these don't look like a diy job I would say original fixings. hopefully the pics will make things a little clearer.
The guy my mate bought it off told him that this is what allows the boat to go a lot faster in the water and keeps it stable.

thanks for the info guys
Old 16 May 2015, 03:54   #8

Ive been having a little dig around the forum and found a few interesting facts. It seems ventura were only in business between 1986-1988 so if this is correct theres the age question answered.

I also found this from another forum members post:

whilst its not the same boat it is the same setup with the wooden keel. any ideas whether I would be able to find/buy/make one of these?
any help is much appreciated :-)
Old 16 May 2015, 09:22   #9

Your images help loads. As you have found out it is obviously one of the very uncommon inflatables with a wooden keel not just a DIY idea.

From your image of the keel remnants at least you have the greatest height of the wood in the central area and location of the join so you can copy that in a length of plywood. You can also see that the tapers (where the ends have been in the fire) are different with one being a slimmer profile. This will go towards the transom.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/va0aqvujk...l-IMG_8213.JPG

It will never be economic to have this made properly and finished but if it suited you could get the overall rectangle of wood cut at a timber place then refine the shape yourself.

If you base it on the height of the bit you have and make it overlong then you will have to trim down by trial and error.

You could of course make up a trial piece from a piece of cheap softwood or chipboard then once you know the fit is spot on copy it in a piece of decent plywood.

The way I would get an idea of the height/profile would be to inflate the boat to full pressure with the tubes supported so the floor could hang down then with one section of floor missing at a time measure the height of the keel needed at each side of the opening so you can transfer these measurements to the new (or trial) keel.

You should be able to work out how long the keel was from rub marks on the inside of the floor where the old one sat. I wonder if at the bow the keel engages with that notch in the front board. I assume that board is fixed into the boat?
Old 16 May 2015, 09:59   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

You could of course make up a trial piece from a piece of cheap softwood or chipboard then once you know the fit is spot on copy it in a piece of decent plywood.
I think that's the way I'd go. That or remove the locating blocks for the original keel and glue an inflatable keel in.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 14:00   #11

Nos if you put in an inflatable keel you'd need to make up stringers as at the moment the floor seems to use the keel to keep it flat... if not for that a sausage keel might have been an easier job.
Old 16 May 2015, 14:47   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Nos if you put in an inflatable keel you'd need to make up stringers as at the moment the floor seems to use the keel to keep it flat... if not for that a sausage keel might have been an easier job.
Ah, didn't notice the lack of stringers!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 17:30   #13

In the beginning when I saw the images I thought missing stringers would need replacing until I guessed a wooden keel SIB wouldn't need them.

Just been looking at a 1975 book (may have been written in the 60s?) on inflatables where they said the V-shape floor would be formed by a wooden or tubular steel keel with inflatable keels the new idea.
Old 16 May 2015, 17:44   #14

Yes thats a great idea, i will use that method fenlander 👍🏻 and like you say make a prototype first to get it right.
Yes i think the keel did sit in that slot at the bow, i have a snapped-off ply 'hook' shape that was in the bag with the valves I suspect that was part of the keel that sits in that slot. And yes the front board is fixed