Old 17 February 2015, 16:56   #1

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Help with first sib

Hi all,

I am keen to buy my first sib but being a novice am off the pace with prices etc..

I would like an Aerotec 380 ( join the queue ) but am not discounting everything else, for fishing alone but also something that can take wife and two kids exploring.

I have seen a Quicksilver 340 with Mariner 15hp 2 stroke on Gumtree for £1800 and the description says its in extremely good condition. I am waiting the seller to get back to me with age of boat and engine, but assuming all is good would you say this is a fair price for this package?

Also anyone had one of these? Does it pack well and manageable ok for one.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Old 18 February 2015, 02:34   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Hi Steve
Where are you planning to use the SIB? Pottering about on the Tyne or outside the breakwaters?
Have you thought about an RYA course? maybe you have taken one already?

My advice to you, as a newcomer,
try to buy the newest boat and outboard you can.
You want to enjoy the boat experience without worrying about repairs and worn out parts.
I am on my second Honwave 380, and IMHO that would fit your initial needs.
Fit the launching wheels and its manageable by yourself.
There are lots of opinions on here, about the merits of different SIBS and outboards.
Have a good read through the forum, there is a load of useful info here.
Old 18 February 2015, 09:15   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>try to buy the newest boat and outboard you can

Yes age is important. There is a big difference in desirability of say a late 1980s 15hp and one of the last 2-stroke models made around 2005/6. Similarly some SIBs at 8-12yrs old will be suffering glue failure issues and unless you are a very competent repairer will soon be scrap.

This time of year you should be able to buy a mint late model Mariner/Mercury/Yamaha privately for £1000 or so and £800 ought to buy you a near unused late Honwave/Quicksilver etc.

As a package you should get even better value with lots of extras like transom wheels thrown.

So the outfit you mention is absolutely top money. As an example I've bought several outfits similar to the one you mention around the £1200-1400 level.
Old 19 February 2015, 14:36   #4

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
I think Fenlander has offered very sound advice. You could buy a new Excel 330 for £800, which comes with a 5year material and construction warranty. To be honest I bought the Honwave 3.8 V air floor, cracking boat but too heavy for me to handle off the water on my own, ie, getting it in and out of the car / garage etc and they are big when rolled up so I sold it.
The Bombard Aerotec has many dedicated followers on here and having been out in one I will say they are superb performers but I didn't buy one for my fishing as it did not fit in with my needs.
Try to meet up with one of the members near you to take a closer look at the kit they use to give you a better idea of what fits in with your needs. I am down in North Lincs and you are welcome to come and have a play in my F-Rib but it might be outside the budget you are working to, however the offer is there.

Phil
Old 19 February 2015, 14:54   #5

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Hi all

Been looking on Ebay myself and Pacermarine has some good discounts on New Honwave sibs worth looking at.
Old 19 February 2015, 20:44   #6

Hi All, thanks for all of your advice and the offer to try your f-rib Phil, much appreciated.

After much thought i bit the bullet and decided on and bought an ex display grey aerotec. I know if i bought something else first i would be probably end up saving for an aerotec anyway ( been there with kayaks ).

I want to explore the northumberland coastline and do a bit of fishing and i know these are not the best fishing platforms but im putting performance first, also i have fished from kayaks for many years so am thinking it must be an improvement. Will be looking into RYA course.

Anyway, i now have to sort an outboard, wheels and decent pump and im almost good to go. Tried the supplied foot pump but cant see me getting on with that. Gauge is pants.

Cheers

Steve
Old 19 February 2015, 21:54   #7

Steve,

Well done. The Aerotec doesn't currently suit us but they are one of the top choices... good to be able to justify the ex-demo as you will start off with a mint boat and not be buying someone else's small leaks they forgot to mention. What size of outboard will you go for?
Old 20 February 2015, 04:57   #8

Hi,

I am thinking 15hp 2stroke. Again i could get something else to get me started but will probably end up looking for a 15. So may have to pay a bit more in the beginning but hoping to save long term. Thats the plan anyway but reading a lot of old posts your first sib is rarely your last.

Im also looking at buying from a dealer so at least i will have a come back if there are any problems or through a rib.net member who knows of a good un for sale.

Steve
Old 20 February 2015, 07:32   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Don't go smaller than 15 with an Aerotec. Having had Yamaha, Tohatsu and Mercury/Mariner I would go for the Mercury/Mariner every time - Yam have many fans on here but the M/M is the lightest, has the superb built in tilt/trim mechanism and the built in tiller gear selector.

As always, by far the best way to get a cheap engine is to buy someone else's used *complete* outfit (boat/engine) - you'll often get a trailer included too, I've bought two or three like this for around £1400 to £1700 and sold on the trailer (typically £300) and boat (£650) and often a few other accessories are included too. You often end up with a very looked after late desirable 2 stroke for 1/2 it's re-sale value alone. Do this two or three times and from the profit you end up with a virtually free boat/engine.

If you're fishing check out the link in the 'which SIB' sticky to adding a thick rubber floor.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...ass-62326.html
Old 20 February 2015, 09:05   #10

Steve I'm assuming your ex-demo Aerotec might have cost close to that of a bargain outfit with a lesser inflatable. So I'd echo Max's comment about 15hp min and not spoil it with an underpowered or cheap/old engine. I'd also not waste effort on buying a lesser outboard for the short term as it will probably lose you money and waste effort plus certainly take something away from the pleasure of a great boat.

Max and I have virtually identical Mercury 15 shortshaft 2-strokes in similar superb condition. Picture of mine below (click to enlarge). Shortly before that I had a mint Mariner 15 2-stroke (image below also), not sure if you know these makes/models are effectively identical bar the hood colour/decals.

To give you an idea of values when I sold the Mariner (2001 model) early last year it rushed away within a couple of days of mentioning it on this forum for something over £1200. It was 2 owners inc me, had it's original manual with details of purchase from new and I included a brand new OE prop still in box.

My current Mercury (2004 model) came with boat and transom wheels but the nominal value in the deal was about £1100 and I was happy to pay that for a 2 owner, low hours outboard virtually as new. Look at the prop & skeg, paint not even worn off on the edges.

Now and again someone who's had one of these 15hp motors for years and is out of the loop with their popularity these days under-prices and you get a bargain... but you have to be really quick as they sell almost instantly.

I'd put the Yamaha as an equal to the Mercury/Mariner, the extra weight I think is about 2kg and you may/may not prefer the tiller combined throttle/gears on the Mercury/Mariner compared to the separate gear lever on the Yamaha.

Of course you may want to go larger than a 15 but most folks find a 15 2-stroke the optimum power/weight ratio before they get awkward to move about.

Personally I prefer to buy privately as I do my own maintenance and these 15hp 2-strokes are so simple there's little to go wrong. I also appreciate seeing the owner in a private purchase situation as you can often find out more about their history and maintenance situation. Often if in mint condition they aren't a great deal cheaper privately as we all know what they're worth but it does give you greater choice to find the right one near you.

One dealer I would advise contacting to see what they have in stock or due in soon is Pennine Marine...

Pennine Marine - Zodiac, Suzuki and Yamaha in Northern England

I've had 2 boats and 1 outboard from them with very good service and they seem to have nice condition used items.

Bit of a ramble but hope there's something of interest in there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 340 Acti-V Mercury 15 close.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	102996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner 15 close.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	102997  
Old 20 February 2015, 11:01   #11

Hi,

Excellent advise, thanks for sharing.

A 15hp 2 stroke is what I've been looking for I have seen a 2002 Mercury from a Dealer on Ebay who has good feedback and gives 14 day returns and 3 months parts and labour warranty. It's priced around £1200 delivered so is bang on money wise but I don't know its history. I am going to phone a few other dealers to see what is out there.

Regards

Steve
Old 20 February 2015, 12:43   #12

If that Ebay dealer outboard is in Cambridgeshire tread VERY carefully!

Read as much of this thread as you have spare time... or flip to the last page... then make your mind up!

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/ebay-dan...-20792-36.html

PM sent.
Old 20 February 2015, 13:25   #13

Ha, after I posted I found an old thread which flagged this up. Thanks for the warning as I suspect it is the same dealer.

Bought sib off Pennine and they were great but had no used outboards in at the moment but will keep trying them.

I'd be grateful if anyone could give me the heads up if anything comes up.

Thanks
Old 20 February 2015, 17:47   #14

Town: Widnes
Boat name: FROG
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Have you tried MES-MARINE near Chester? A reputable outfit and great blokes too (and the ladies are brill).
Old 20 February 2015, 22:55   #15

Town: UK
Boat name: Awesome !!!
Make: F-RIB 375(S)
Engine: Suzuki 9 / 15 & 20HP
If your looking at a 15hp, why not check out a Suzuki, They've been at it a long while, they're the lightest of them all and superb fuel economy.
Old 27 February 2015, 19:39   #16

Town: North Devon
I must admit when I saw this thread my heart sank, I had an outboard motor that I purchased from Outboards 12 in Soham. When it was delivered it started perfectly then developed what turned out to be an electronics problem, I returned the motor and after some time saw this thread. I am ashamed to say that I automatically assumed that I would never see it again and that I also had been conned.

I was wrong, they offered me my money back, I declined because I could not find a short shaft 8 hp Yamaha anywhere, so they rectified the faults, Richard in the workshop was very helpful over the phone, dispatched the motor back to me, it starts perfectly, first pull every time, hopefully if the weather is kind I will get out in it this weekend.

Just my experiences, but for me he did what he said they would and did not let me down, I now have what for me is the ideal size/weight combination motor for me and the Sib.

As I say, these are just my experiences, but he tried hard for me.
Cantona

I can on
Old 27 February 2015, 19:41   #17

Town: North Devon
I must admit when I saw this thread my heart sank, I had an outboard motor that I purchased from Outboards 12 in Soham. When it was delivered it started perfectly then developed what turned out to be an electronics problem, I returned the motor and after some time saw this thread. I am ashamed to say that I automatically assumed that I would never see it again and that I also had been conned.

I was wrong, they offered me my money back, I declined because I could not find a short shaft 8 hp Yamaha anywhere, so they rectified the faults, Richard in the workshop was very helpful over the phone, dispatched the motor back to me, it starts perfectly, first pull every time, hopefully if the weather is kind I will get out in it this weekend.

Just my experiences, but for me he did what he said they would and did not let me down, I now have what for me is the ideal size/weight combination motor for me and the Sib.

As I say, these are just my experiences, but he tried hard for me.
Cantona