Old 12 November 2012, 20:56   #21

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Its fairly normal for workshops etc not to cover clients boats when in for work over here...always worth asking the question and making sure your own insurance covers it anyway.............

coat my get I'll again...
Old 12 November 2012, 21:31   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Its fairly normal for workshops etc not to cover clients boats when in for work over here...always worth asking the question and making sure your own insurance covers it anyway.............

Possibly a grey area need some exposing then, I always have my kit covered anyway but .. How is your own insurance able to quantify the risk of what the shop does with your gear when 'you are not in control' of it ? does the shop expect your insurance to cover all their errors ?

If I put my car into a dealer and someone rammed it by mistake, I'd certainly expect the dealer to make good surely ?
Old 12 November 2012, 21:46   #23

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Got to be down to the dealer! Had my engine ruined recently by a well known dealer & they just washed their hands of it. If they'd approached the insurance with a view to helping the customer rather than protecting their no claims there could have been a different outcome.
Surely they have a duty of care ?
Old 13 November 2012, 04:45   #24

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffsBoat View Post
not sure. Would I be able to do that without insurance?
Yes. Not sure what the limit would be on a small claim, though.

You should eb able to get a bit of advice from a chat with an attorney, free initial consult kind of thing. Or maybe you could find an online legal advice forum? Or look at hiring an attorney if you think it's worth the money.

Luck, BB;

jky
Old 13 November 2012, 07:36   #25

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post

I have insurance and it covers clients boats - it has limits but if you're sensible it should cover the value - It's a standard part of a boat yard insurance unless you know better?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 08:13   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I have insurance and it covers clients boats - it has limits but if you're sensible it should cover the value - It's a standard part of a boat yard insurance unless you know better?
A friend of mine had his jet ski stolen when in for repair. Workshop said not insured; own insurance said not insured as not stored at the agreed location. Ended up getting a new ski with a substantial discount (i.e. trade price) from the workshop/dealer.
Old 13 November 2012, 08:39   #27

Its the limits and requirments for stuff on trailers that is the issue, and as Cookee says it is a standard 'option' on cover.

I had my little Avon in for a service a few years ago and happened to drive past a few times in the day - it was sat on the trailer in the road most of the day - no clamp or hitch lock ! Therefore not going to be covered by anything !

Likewise I used to leave the Shearwater with another dealer who has maybe £250k of clients boats there...and they have no where near that amount of cover ....

Its always worth asking the question if you're not sure and if really unsure ask to see the schedule ....
Old 13 November 2012, 11:26   #28

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I don't know better, but I guess it depends on what deal / service you are offering.

Here at KB Dry Stack, clients boats are covered under the owners own insurance (like a marina) and we will not accept a boat onto the Dry Stack unless we have a copy of the owners insurance. We had a case a few years ago where a client's brand new boat in an upper rack leaked hydraulic steering fluid onto the upholstery of the boat below. The two owners insurance companies sorted that out without us being involved.

Obviously we have our own insurance, so in the unlikely event that we damage a clients boat, it's down to us and our insurance to sort it out.

I would expect that we have a duty of care as well, so if we leave a boat on it's trailer outside in the road and unprotected and it gets stolen - if the client is unable to claim under their insurance (because we have in effect invalidated it), we would be liable.

I feel very sorry for the OP and I'm sure things are legally different in the USA, but I would have thought that the workshop is going to have a large claim anyway and adding a customers engine to that claim would not raise any eyebrows if "handled" the right way.

Good luck anyway!
Old 13 November 2012, 11:44   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
I don't know better, but I guess it depends on what deal / service you are offering.

Here at KB Dry Stack, clients boats are covered under the owners own insurance (like a marina) and we will not accept a boat onto the Dry Stack unless we have a copy of the owners insurance. We had a case a few years ago where a client's brand new boat in an upper rack leaked hydraulic steering fluid onto the upholstery of the boat below. The two owners insurance companies sorted that out without us being involved.

Obviously we have our own insurance, so in the unlikely event that we damage a clients boat, it's down to us and our insurance to sort it out.

I would expect that we have a duty of care as well, so if we leave a boat on it's trailer outside in the road and unprotected and it gets stolen - if the client is unable to claim under their insurance (because we have in effect invalidated it), we would be liable.

I feel very sorry for the OP and I'm sure things are legally different in the USA, but I would have thought that the workshop is going to have a large claim anyway and adding a customers engine to that claim would not raise any eyebrows if "handled" the right way.

Good luck anyway!
That is a very good explanation and as long as everyone knows whats going on there is not ever an issue .
Old 13 November 2012, 12:26   #30

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
I’m With Dry Run on this one. I know the US will probably have a different body but you can see the British Marine Federations T&Cs here http://www.rib-shop.com/uploads/docs/778.pdf
Old 13 November 2012, 19:11   #31

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
I read in some newspaper the the insurers in US is in deep S*** as Sandy was classified as a tropical cyclone and not a hurricane and they have to pay out wider cover. I don't know what type of insurances/states this is related to but might be worth checking?