Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 07 June 2012, 02:29   #1

Town: sarasota
Make: avon 310
Length: 3m +
help please! I have water getting into my hull

I just bought my first boat. Its a 2001 west marine 310 by Avon rib. I got the holes patched up and gave the Johnson 9.9 motor a tune. My question is the water in my Hull. I tried what I read to do "bathtub test" it. I filled the inside of the boat with water. I let it set for about half an hour. I pulled the upper plug to drain it. After it was empty I undid the lowoer Hull drain plug I got about about a gallon of water out. What is the best place to start to figure out a fix. The deck looks in good condition w no damage or holes. That makes me think the water is getting thru along the seams where the rubber meet the fiberglass. How do i seal this exchange of water? Is it normal to get water in between the deck and Hull? If not what's the drain plug for?
Old 07 June 2012, 02:51   #2

Here she is

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-12 18.04.41_snaptastic_2.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	69043
Old 07 June 2012, 04:26   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
What you need is a smoke test. Alright not very common but very effective. Do a visual and check all the seams. If you can't find it, fill the boat with water, and very lightly, as in less than 3lbs of pressure, pressurize the hull with water above and look for bubbles. You can tape the anchor locker shut.
Old 07 June 2012, 18:04   #4

Sounds like a plan! I'm gonna give it a shot. Thx for the info!
Old 21 October 2012, 04:29   #5

Town: Phuket
Boat name: Neptune's Chariot
Make: Thai Hong
Engine: Yam Out F20hp Petrol
Hi Bicyclejuju1.

Just read your post, I have a similar boat which I just took out yesterday for the first time, was on the water for about 2 hours and when I came back in the Hull was full of water, I was expecting a bit but not as much as came out... What did you find out about yours? Was it coming though the seams? I have a console and bench screwed into the deck will do the bathtub test..

Thanks for any info or advice
Old 22 October 2012, 21:48   #6

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Is that a hull/deck rib with 2 water lids? Are you having water inside the hull ? if so must tight inner nuts located inside bow locker and place silicone at inner, outter sides of bow D'ring, could also be water condensation.

Happy Boating
Old 23 October 2012, 02:38   #7

Thanks.. rib is a hull/deck yes.. the bow locker is a separate compartment and not a part of the main hull and doesn't get any water in it. I tried the bathrub test and no water leaking through the deck so must be coming from the hull somewhere I will fill the hull with water tonight and see if it leaks from anywhere will check the D rings too thanks for the advice..
Old 24 October 2012, 14:29   #8

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Probably water is coming through bow D'ring into bow locker and into internal hull, bow lockers are not that water proof at least on my rib doesn't, this is to evacuate any water remains from locker into hull which can be removed by opening hull's water valve and making a rib wheely once on trailer to remove all water. Have removed my bow D'ring, sealed with silicone and screw back in, much better than factory delivered. Now bow water selaed.

You could have porous hull issues too, if hull drain plug is positioned at rear lower transom and it's the metal screw type with metal base, a good 3-4 teflon wrap around plug will solve the water intrusion problem.

Happy Boating
Old 25 October 2012, 02:02   #9

Thank you for the idea
Old 25 October 2012, 03:00   #10

Thank you Locozodiac I will silicone the bow D ring as an extra precaution but last night I stuck a garden hose in the hull drainage hole at the bottom of the transom and filled my hull with water, I soon found a crack along one of the ridges of the hull I doubt I would have ever found it if I hadnt done this as it's only a few cm long and like a hair line, however when you touch it or put any pressure on it (as there would be on water) it opens and was, in this case, letting out quite a bit of water... Off to the fiberglass repair shop with it tomorrow! Hopefully then that will be case closed. Thanks again