Old 13 January 2015, 13:57   #1
mrr

Make: XS ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury F 150hp
Help needed: Radar Arch / A-frame for SIB

We just ordered the futura MK3. Our futura will sometimes live on a trailer, when travelling we will pack it and stow it in our car.

I am looking for a A-frame or radar arch to mount navigation lights and a radar reflector.
On the web I found this Arch from Atlantic towers Atlantic Towers | Inflatable Boat Products

Do you know other options? How do you mount your radar reflector and nav. lights on your SIB? Could you share your experience and pictures?

Thanks!
Old 13 January 2015, 16:03   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Atlantic Towers: Looked at them a long time ago. Pretty pricey for what they do.

I'd suggest taking their design (roughly) and asking an auto exhaust shop to fab one up from heavy gauge aluminum tubing (might want to add a cross brace in the corner to keep it from penduluming sideways.) Some small plated on the sides to mount lights, and whatever you need to mount your radar reflector (and VHF antenna, and whatever else you want to hang on there), and all that's left is to figure out how to mount it. Could go stainless, but it will be heavy and a lot more expensive. Should be a lot less than the $600 they're asking.

As to alternatives, a single upright pole would do as well; simpler and cheaper. Small boats are usually given a bit of leeway as to where lights are mounted, so having both sidelights not centered on the keel is usually OK.

jky
Old 13 January 2015, 16:54   #3

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 90
Here is one for $175 with free shipping on eBay. I don't have any experience with this one, but it looks like a deal for that price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3677511909.jpg
Views:	1323
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	102291  
Old 13 January 2015, 18:02   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
~asking an auto exhaust shop to fab one up from heavy gauge aluminum tubing~
Getting a tower fabbed up locally is an option, but from what I have seen, muffler shops always kink the pipe. It takes a different die to get a fluid bend. There are plenty of places that can bend up what you need, along with drilling it, and welding some tabs onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
As to alternatives, a single upright pole would do as well; simpler and cheaper. Small boats are usually given a bit of leeway as to where lights are mounted, so having both sidelights not centered on the keel is usually OK.

jky
I like the single pole light idea so much, I rigged up a pole to slide into a fishing rod holder (White all around light). For the green and red bow light I just bought an LED that slides into some ABS mounted to the anchor crate. A cutting board with some bungee would do the same thing (Another idea I saw used here on RIB.net).

They make battery power LED navigation light sets, and of course if you have a battery you can use that to power the lights (My preference as I don't have to worry about finding dead C cell batteries (Does require wiring)).

The radar reflector is a GIANT wind catcher, and not something I would fly. You are a tiny boat, keep out of the way of BIG boats/ships. They do make deployable streamers and flags if needed for rescue situations.
Old 13 January 2015, 20:03   #5
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
The radar reflector is a GIANT wind catcher, and not something I would fly. You are a tiny boat, keep out of the way of BIG boats/ships. They do make deployable streamers and flags if needed for rescue situations.
I am living in Holland, the Dutch North Sea coast is very busy with container vessels, oil tankers. A radar reflector is a life saver. We have to leave from a sea port, all of them are crowded with huge vessels so sailing in busy waters cannot be avoided in this part of the world.
Tri-lens radar reflectors have been tested and seem to be pretty good. The wind catch factor is not so big.

I think I will use led navigation lights, i still need something to mount them on. An arch or a pole seems an interesting idea.
Old 13 January 2015, 20:22   #6
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworotorturbo View Post
Here is one for $175 with free shipping on eBay. I don't have any experience with this one, but it looks like a deal for that price.
Thanks! Much better for my wallet than the atlantic towers arch, will take a look at it.
Old 13 January 2015, 20:56   #7

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: 3.3,75
These are available in the UK ,

BOAT RIB Double A-Frame 316 Stainless Steel 40mm Tube Adjustable | eBay

Maybe wort seeing if the can send abroad,
Old 13 January 2015, 21:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr View Post
I am living in Holland, the Dutch North Sea coast is very busy with container vessels, oil tankers. A radar reflector is a life saver. We have to leave from a sea port, all of them are crowded with huge vessels so sailing in busy waters cannot be avoided in this part of the world.
Tri-lens radar reflectors have been tested and seem to be pretty good. The wind catch factor is not so big.

I think I will use led navigation lights, i still need something to mount them on. An arch or a pole seems an interesting idea.
I FULLY understand boating around a large port. The San Francisco Bay has the Port of Oakland (Container ships) along with many other HUGE vessels like super tankers (Largest refineries around Northern California are here), and car carriers (Should I mention how bad traffic in the Bay Area is?). If they see me or not doesn't matter, as they are not going to turn, stop, nor yield in any way to me. I stay far out of their way. Fortunately other than a foggy day, I can see them coming for miles and know their paths.

The challenge with an arch is removing it every time you want to fold the boat up. Since it needs to bolt the the transom (Not the floor as it is not strong enough), you will be left with exposed holes thru the wooden transom. You could mount permanent brackets to address this issue, but that is fabricating something up.

There are radar reflectors that are smaller and could be put on a very strong pole.
Old 14 January 2015, 06:59   #9
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I FULLY understand boating around a large port. The San Francisco Bay has the Port of Oakland (Container ships) along with many other HUGE vessels like super tankers (Largest refineries around Northern California are here), and car carriers (Should I mention how bad traffic in the Bay Area is?). If they see me or not doesn't matter, as they are not going to turn, stop, nor yield in any way to me. I stay far out of their way.

The challenge with an arch is removing it every time you want to fold the boat up. Since it needs to bolt the the transom (Not the floor as it is not strong enough), you will be left with exposed holes thru the wooden transom. You could mount permanent brackets to address this issue, but that is fabricating something up.

There are radar reflectors that are smaller and could be put on a very strong pole.
In some areas, a radar reflector is required by law.
Indeed, the challenge of removing an arch everytime we fold the boat is not something I look forward to. The holes in the transom is something we need to address.

The pole seems an excellent option. I have never seen one in stores, look for inspiration how to build one or where to buy one. Does anyone have pictures of their configuration?
Old 14 January 2015, 07:38   #10

Quote:
In some areas, a radar reflector is required by law.
Indeed, the challenge of removing an arch everytime we fold the boat is not something I look forward to. The holes in the transom is something we need to address.
A stainless strip, mounted inside the boat on both sides, with 2 studs welded onto each side would stay mounted to the boat, and the tower would then slide over the 4 studs inside the boat, with some large thumb wheels to lock the tower in place.

Quote:
The pole seems an excellent option. I have never seen one in stores, look for inspiration how to build one or where to buy one. Does anyone have pictures of their configuration?
I have a stern light similar to this one. It slides into a slotted fishing rod holder.
http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Adjus...VH71G0Y6CG4TG5

My bow light is this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both are wired, and when I want to use them I physically plug them into my electronics tower that houses the boats battery. Simple is good for me.
Old 14 January 2015, 13:13   #11
mrr

Quote:
Just contacted this company, ready to order their radar arch.
Shipping - $ 296.82 - You would be responsible for any taxes and duties at the time of delivery TOTAL - $ 471.82

I asked them to ship to the netherlands.

Any other options out there?
Old 14 January 2015, 15:35   #12

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 90
Thats a lot for shipping. Im using the ribnet phone app so I didnt know you were in the netherlands. It sounds like they quoted you for UPS shipping. It should be a lot cheaper with USPS, I would be willing to help you and ship it to you. The arch looks like it can be disassembled into a long and narrow box.
Old 14 January 2015, 16:10   #13
mrr

Quote:
Thats a lot for shipping. Im using the ribnet phone app so I didnt know you were in the netherlands. It sounds like they quoted you for UPS shipping. It should be a lot cheaper with USPS, I would be willing to help you and ship it to you. The arch looks like it can be disassembled into a long and narrow box.
Thanks very much for your offer. We will try to find a solution with the company/seller, if that doesn't work, we have the option of working out shipment by ebay.

If anyone from the UK is reading this: there are so many RIBS and SIBS in the UK, isn't there a company in the UK who sells radar arches that fit a zodiac futura?
Old 14 January 2015, 16:33   #14

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: 3.3,75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzi View Post
These are available in the UK ,

BOAT RIB Double A-Frame 316 Stainless Steel 40mm Tube Adjustable | eBay

Maybe wort seeing if the can send abroad,
re-post as possibly got missed first time

2 designs available with or without kink , bolts to alloy floorboards - the straight one folds .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABCAFRAME.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	102318  
Old 14 January 2015, 16:38   #15
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzi View Post
re-post as possibly got missed first time
Thanks. A double Arch would be fantastic, although it won't be possible to mount it to the transom of the futura. The floor of a SIB is not strong enough. Unfortunately this one won't fit.
Old 18 January 2015, 17:23   #16

Town: Borsbeek/Antwerp
Make: Yamaha DS360 (2014)
Engine: Suzuki DF15 outboard
Quote:

Can't seem to find it. Could you send/place the link?

Still looking for a solution myself.

Thx.
Old 18 January 2015, 17:48   #17
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baetske View Post
Can't seem to find it. Could you send/place the link?

Still looking for a solution myself.

Thx.
They have removed the option of worldwide shipping (very expensive), the link does not work anymore. Although it is possible to have it shipped to Belgium.

What I like about this arch: it uses a sort of bracket on the transom, if you do not use the radar arch, there won't be any holes in your transom because that is where the brackets are.
Fishmaster T-Tops and Accessories
Old 18 January 2015, 18:03   #18

Town: Borsbeek/Antwerp
Make: Yamaha DS360 (2014)
Engine: Suzuki DF15 outboard
Quote:
Thanks very much for your offer. We will try to find a solution with the company/seller, if that doesn't work, we have the option of working out shipment by ebay.

If anyone from the UK is reading this: there are so many RIBS and SIBS in the UK, isn't there a company in the UK who sells radar arches that fit a zodiac futura?

Found a dealer on their website.
Delivers in the netherlands and belgium.

Noorman Watersports -
Gelreweg 43 - 3843 AN HARDERWIJK
Belgium
Phone: +31 341 433 684
Toll Free:
Fax: +31 341 433 694
E-Mail: info@monstertower.eu
Web Site: www.monstertower.eu
Old 22 January 2015, 18:12   #19

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Plastic plumbing pipe is your friend. Get creative.
You can make a full arch out of it if you want. I've seen it done.
Lightweight, won't rust, easily and cheaply built and repaired.

Here are some things I've done. These have been posted in previous threads on the subject in this forum. Search for the discussion.

Old 03 February 2015, 22:05   #20

Town: Chicago
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
I too have been mulling an arch for the Cadet 350 solid I'm keen on pre-ordering as soon as IBC starts taking them. The Fishmaster arches seem priced, though slightly larger than I'd like.

What concerns me is that I might have to choose between an arch or transom wheels, because they both use the same areas of the transom to mount on. And even If I could mount them both simultaneously, I'd be worried about having all those holes drilled in my transom.