Old 08 September 2015, 15:34   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>see if I can find a Zodiac dealer nearby and ask them about the Aerotec.

It'll be interesting to see what they say. Due to Zodiac going bust and waiting for a buyer I don't think there's been an Aerotec made so far during 2015. The ones sold new by dealers this year were made in 2014 and I don't think any dealer has another one left in the UK.

They are due to re-start production at Zodiac any day now, I assume the Aerotec will still be made. I will get to know when they do get going as they have a little Aerotec job to do for me and they promise it will be one of their first tasks when production resumes.

Edit 6 mins later: By coincidence a mail has just pinged in to say they did restart production last week and the "little job" they've done for me on the Aerotec production line is on it's way from France at this very moment.
Old 08 September 2015, 15:49   #22

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Glad you're getting those issues sorted. Maybe they will start buying some black or grey PVC to make the floors from instead of pesky white...
Old 08 September 2015, 16:17   #23

I've been relaxed (just) due to the unique situation of the factory being shut down but I'm near to throwing up the "well you would never have believed my luck" type post when the new "part" is received and tried.

I wonder if there is a reason all air floors are white across all makes... well they are as far as I've seen.

Don't know if you'd noticed but post 2010 (or so) Zodiac started making the upper surface of the air floors from a dimpled but easy to clean more shiny finish... in contrast to the earlier sandpaper like "I will resist all attempts at cleaning" finish. They're even more wipe clean than the tubes now.
Old 08 September 2015, 16:27   #24

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Mine's covered with that black rubber when in use - and you know what happened the first time I fitted it and the petrol got underneath...

...now a nice p**** yellow in many areas.
Old 08 September 2015, 21:43   #25

I assume you have tried to get it off with acetone. I just love that stuff. Never had any until I started to do those old patch repairs this summer and now I've already used 3/4 gallon.
Old 09 September 2015, 01:39   #26

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
What's your opinion on this?

That with some beachmasters and my Yamaha F9.9.
Old 09 September 2015, 06:57   #27

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I have no experience of the Seapro Amukinado ..however I believe they are a reasonable brand and when my Quicksilver 4.3 HD packs in.. I think the Seapro 4.3 HD would be my choice to replace it. ..I get the impression they are the same boat ..different brand name ? Probably all made in same Factory anyhoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...&v=bI8hWDlFvKo

Im not sure how to attach a video..but there is a nice happy video at the link..advertising the SIB you mentioned and with a 9.8 parson engine.

Think I would consider the 3.8m version rather than the 3.4m. From my experience..longer boats handle better than shorter length boats
Old 09 September 2015, 09:02   #28

I wouldn't go near that specific model you have linked to Amukinado. Note in the listing they say... "Speeds of up to 10 mph are suggested as the airdeck on such a large boat can cause drag and warp at higher speeds".

There must be a real problem with design of that air floor for them to make that statement that I've never read on any other makers description... in fact makers are usually praising their air floors for how stiff they are.

Personally I would not order a new flat air floor of any make without having been out in one on the sea. Different people have different opinions of the same model as some find them unexpectedly firm and like them... others don't like the slight jelly feel.

My air floor experience is mainly of two Zodiac 340 models and a Zodiac 360. They are all what I'm calling a flat air floor... with inflated keel underneath. They were all fantastically light to carry and easy to assemble... very roomy for their size too and super stable. At rest as I've said there is a slight jelly type feel when standing for example and under way at speed you do get some odd effects of a "ripple" going through the floor plus in some outfit combinations they can be more prone to prop cavitation.

I'm not anti flat air floors but you have to accept some negatives in use to offset their convenience and this may or may not be important which is why I'd advise a trial before buying. If you were looking at a flat air floor I'd go for a major brand who didn't want to advise a 10mph maximum!

I've only ever looked at Honwave V air floors at the pontoon but assume they would be far better... as would the Prowave V air floor in Gurnard's images... and as you know I can guarantee the Aerotec air floor is totally stiff with none of the flexibility issues.
Old 09 September 2015, 09:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I wouldn't go near that specific model you have linked to Amukinado. Note in the listing they say... "Speeds of up to 10 mph are suggested as the airdeck on such a large boat can cause drag and warp at higher speeds".
I would agree with you there 100 % Fenlander ..

So your choice in narrowing now Amukinado.

I know its an expensive boat..but if lightness.. storage ..and a good solid floor plus easy set up ..would you consider the F Rib .. in the third photo I posted ?

Its a fibre glass hull..so very fast with a small engine as it has very little drag.. you wont puncture the floor and it certainly wont flop as its not an air floor. Extremely stable too..I watch a video of a guy haul a 100lb skate to the surface ..while fishing in one.

They fold into three parts ..and had no problem that I saw in rough weather although it did slap the waves a bit..but this was in very confused waters

Old 09 September 2015, 10:41   #30

>>>would you consider the F Rib

That's an interesting thought. I've had an open mind on them since interest increased on this forum a year or two ago... shame most of the owners thought they needed to set up a new forum... I hate straddling two forums.

Having spent a fair bit on a new SIB just recently and wanting a portable package but with absolutely no floor flex I did consider the FRib.

The 375 model that seems to equate to the Honwave 3.8ie (V air floor model) is around £2000 more than the Honwave. It is 32lbs heavier than the Honwave and the packed size is a fair bit larger... definitely couldn't be so easily squashed into the back of a car with other outing/holiday luggage.

So you really need to have a strong reason for wanting the grp floor to pay the uplift over any comparable SIB.

But as I said at the start I have an open mind and will be interested to see their longevity... and how they are priced/regarded on the used market over the next few years.
Old 09 September 2015, 12:40   #31

I was like you Fenlander ..and when I read about them on here.. I was going to buy one ..because of how light they are.. easy of setting up and the fibreglass hull.

This is only my opinion .. I would say the F RIB 360 is around the same as the honwaves ..if there can be any comparison..which I don’t think is very valid anyway ? Its like trying to compare a heavy 4.3m long and wide beamed wooden floored SIB with a keel to a smaller and narrower airfloor .. its apples and oranges.

It is the F RIB 360 that is in the photo .. it costs £2550 from the claim on their website and weights 48kg ... can you tell us how much a new aerotec costs ? it packs into a 1100 x 900 x 450 cm size.. which is not bad at all... but is larger than the packed size of an aerotec. However it is the same as my Seago 2.7m slat size when its rolled up.

I cant say how long lived it will be..but I know from you guys..the aerotec glue give up around 10 years old.. so at least you know the expected life of it.. unless the owner is willing to reglue it all.

I wouldn’t stand on any airfloor boat to fish.. The F-Rib video proves how stable it is..standing and landing a large fish.

The smooth hulls of fibreglass boats without a doubt are faster with smaller engines than PVC floors that flex. No water comes over the transom.

I am glad of my decision to keep my long heavy SIB.. I need a good stable platform ..that will keep on the plane in a wave... and like you Fenlander ..I have no reason to spend money on something that is not going to vastly improve my boating experience.

Amukinado..just another opinion of mine.. if I was going to choose either the Prowave ..shown in photo two.. or the Honwave..shown in photo one..I would go Honwave any time. Simply because Blootac has said the airfloor material is a bit thinner...not for any other reason though.

As for the other forum Fenlander.. I have no problem to say I have enrolled there too. I am a member of four different photo forums.. three different hill walking sites.. and two RC model forums. Surprisingly ..its only here .. and only some members have the tunnel vision to say it is too much trouble to click on another link in their browser ?

However ..I should also add..that my wife left me because I went with another woman . Will you guys still talk to me ? I hope so.. Im happy here too.
Old 09 September 2015, 12:49   #32

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Simply because Blootac has said the airfloor material is a bit thinner...
Just to clarify, the material itself I think is the same, it's the depth of the inflatable section itself. I believe (and it certainly looks the same) it's the same floor as in the excel SIB's.

Again, I haven't had any problems with my floor, it was merely an observation that the honwave owner had over mine, that my floor inflated considerably quicker than his did.
Old 09 September 2015, 13:04   #33

Thanks for clarifying that blootac.. it hopefully means Amukinado can keep it as a consideration .. can you confirm it has the same inflatable tabs as the honwave at the rear ?
Old 09 September 2015, 13:15   #34

It does indeed. In almost all other respects it is a honwave.
(I say almost because there maybe other aspects that are different even if I can't spot them...)

If it was the same colour and you removed the badge you'd be hard pushed to differentiate them. In fact the honwave owner had thought they were almost identical until the floor was inflated and mine inflated faster than his did. It's exactly the same size and we've had them on top of one another as well as side by side.
Old 09 September 2015, 13:34   #35

Does the Prowave say who made it... Sun Industries or something like that?
Old 09 September 2015, 13:37   #36

Gurnard I enjoy the resource nature of a forum and in the same way as other folks have posted their experiences with different boats/outboards/locations etc... often years ago... which have helped me with a problem or to make a decision then I try to do the same. I avoid unsubstantiated opinion or hearsay that's not related to my own experiences where possible.

It's only with that idea in mind I make sometimes lengthy replies but always trying to keep to facts never meaning to be argumentative or rubbishing other folks much loved brands/models for the sake of it.

I deliberately compared the F-Rib to the Honwave 380 air floor to try and avoid the "it has to be an Aerotec" argument. I guess you're right that if you are comparing a F-Rib to Honwave 3.8/Aerotec 380 models the 360 F-Rib is more of a fair comparison as I see the 375 is a premium double skinned floor product.

I have no idea if F-Ribs stick to that retail of £2550 for the 360 but I'd say most dealers have been asking £2300 for new Aerotecs... their list is higher.

It's not correct to say that Aerotec glue only lasts 10yrs. The dealer I bought my new one from gives them a life of about 17yrs and I've heard that said elsewhere (whoops hearsay!). My old one is a 1998 so has hit that 17yrs and it seems the dealer's prediction was about right because the previous owner did a bit of seam repair last year and I've re-done his work properly (!) plus a couple of more bits.

If they really went as soon as 10yrs I'd say the majority of Aerotec owners on here would already have had theirs come apart or be facing it in a year or so... and that doesn't appear to be the case. Similarly the Zodiac 340 I've just sold was 12yrs old with not a hint of failure on its glued seams.

Of course the glue is not unique to the Aerotec and the issue affects every PVC SIB from the Zodiac brand and will no doubt raise it's head with the newer Chinese models as they age.

If asked I always say folks should be aware that glued seams could start to show failure in places on older SIBs so if you are looking at a SIB 10/12yrs or older to carefully check and be aware it could come up if you keep it a few more years.
Old 09 September 2015, 13:46   #37

Quote:
Does the Prowave say who made it... Sun Industries or something like that?
Not that I'm aware of, just made in China for Prowave inflatables.

I'll check tonight.
Old 09 September 2015, 13:48   #38

This might make interesting reading from the other forum Gurnard... F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - 'Back to Back' F-Rib375 with Aerotec 380

F-Rib 375 vs Aerotec 380 in the 4th post down from "Harrison" who I think posts here under a different name. I'd not seen this until today when our discussions above prompted me to have a look over there and see how they were liking the F-Ribs.

In a different thread he explains he was unhappy with an actual fault plus other issues on the F-Rib and was given a full refund. I say that with no element of gloating and god on F-Ribs for doing the decent thing... I've had faults on three brand new Zodiacs over the past 5yrs. One was exchanged, another refunded and the last I was happy to have repaired.
Old 09 September 2015, 16:24   #39

Hi again Fenlander..I was aware of that review.. and I strongly believe it a very good and honest review..Im not in a position to even suggest otherwise..as I have never seen an aerotec in real life .. nor the 370 F Rib ..never mind try them.

For clarity..I also think your review of the aerotec is very good and honest. I am certainly not debating that fact. I do believe you when you say it handles chop very well and cuts through waves rather than slap them.

The point that I was debating earlier is my 4.3m heavy wooden floor ..air keel SIB handles chop just fine... and on the plane ..my bones are the same age as yours too. From my experience of boats..longer boats generally bridge waves that shorter ones cant.. thats all I was trying to suggest..and its only my opinion. Im just sorry we couldn’t have met at Loch Sween..I almost went but was else where when you were there. I would have had no problem giving you my SIB to try..and I would love to even see an aerotec..never mind watch one in action.

Thanks also for giving the link.. although Im a member on both sites.. I don’t want to upset folks here by linking or mentioning the other forum ..which is why I pasted the direct video link of the skate fishing..rather than a link to the forum.

However..hopefully you can now see the benefit of looking on other forums ? A wider range of opinions is always good..that why I started going there. It is like the photo forums..I learn far more from a wider group of members. I do however take your point..it would be nice if we all lived in the same place.. but I have to accept that wont happen.

Im also aware Harrison got a refund because the pressure release valves didn’t work properly. F Rib had no problem dealing with the matter to the customer’s satisfaction. The F _Rib 360 that was with us at the weekend didn’t have any problems. Paul the owner was completely satisfied with it.

I recall the first major posting about the F Rib on this forum. Im sure you do as well. Before even seeing one.. I spotted the problem that I thought the three wells in each folding compartment could get water in them..and that would annoy me.. having water sloshing around in the compartments that I could not reach to bail out when under way. I was answered that it was a very dry ride ..even in a chop..so it wasn’t a problem. I looked in Paul's F -Rib after going through these seas on Saturday

Not only was it a strong wind..but we had a major tide rip to cross on the southern tip of Lismore. It didn’t surprise me to see some water in his three compartments...but hey..my SIB had a little more..but it was all below my floors so didn’t bother me. I think even the Mull car ferry would get some water on board that day..so its only to be expected.

That is why I said in my first post ..a Face to Face is best..I was told no water got in the boats.. you can read that in the thread on this forum. I was seriously thinking of buying one based on forum posts.

Im happy to stick with my own SIB now..and put up with my only complaint about it.. its very heavy to get back on its trailer..however after the face to face meeting with lots of other SIBS and their owners.. I think I have solved my problem..its not a boat problem.. Im going to get a break back trailer..and until then..Im going to do what I did with my hardshell boats..float the SIB on and off the trailer. I stopped doing that last year as its not galvanised and I was changing wheel bearing every two months.

Amukinado..sorry for going off topic a little..as I realise you want different SIB suggestions ..and that is what I have been trying to do..not just focus on one SIB. Im not pushing any brands ..just offering different brands. Blootac mentioned another brand that I believe is good..and that is the Excel range

Inflatable Boats Sales at Excel Inflatables. RIBs and Outboard Engines.

They have airfloors..and there was one at the weekend meet I attended ..the owner was very happy with his. Worth some research too.
Old 09 September 2015, 16:58   #40

Quote:

It's not correct to say that Aerotec glue only lasts 10yrs. The dealer I bought my new one from gives them a life of about 17yrs and I've heard that said elsewhere (whoops hearsay!). My old one is a 1998 so has hit that 17yrs and it seems the dealer's prediction was about right because the previous owner did a bit of seam repair last year and I've re-done his work properly (!) plus a couple of more bits.

If they really went as soon as 10yrs I'd say the majority of Aerotec owners on here would already have had theirs come apart or be facing it in a year or so... and that doesn't appear to be the case. Similarly the Zodiac 340 I've just sold was 12yrs old with not a hint of failure on its glued seams.

Of course the glue is not unique to the Aerotec and the issue affects every PVC SIB from the Zodiac brand and will no doubt raise it's head with the newer Chinese models as they age.

I used to see a lot of posts from folks in this forum on glue failing on SIBs at 10 years. When I posted I have a cheap as chips Seago that was at least 14 years old.. as did some other members..the glues started to last a bit longer ?

Here is a recent thread and a couple of quotes from it.. so you can understand my confusion of the age of glue in some models ? Im glad you clarified the aerotec position now Fenlander .. it will reassure a lot of folks..as even I was getting a bit worried keeping reading posts like these

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/life-ex...sib-68594.html

Landlockedpirate quote
For some reason, Zodiac glue turns to pritt stick after about 10 years, although some boats last much longer. most dont.

Fenlander quote
Of course if you think DIY repairing glued seams is not for you then keeping a PVC SIBbeyond 10yrs will always be a gamble.