Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 September 2015, 03:46   #11
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 986
No problem Amudinako .. I am not interested in the “My Sib is best” debate either.. That is why I generalized about three SIBs that I had the privilege to witness and go to sea with their owners .. over the weekend.

Max for clarification..I am referring to the Honwave 380 air deck. That is the boat in my first photo. I know some folk in the past have complained on this forum that the floor flops.. there are also many posts on this forum from owners who are very happy with the boat..and dont mention floppy floors. That is why I suggested to Amudinako to check with people face to face..perhaps that way he can get a ride in one to find his own facts about the boat. Do they flop or don’t they. That is also why I use a forum..to find out info .. then I do field research to see if what has been said is true or not...but only if Im interested in that boat.

I did make an error in my first post guys ..the second photo is not a Seapro airdeck ..it is in fact a Prowave airdeck. To me it looked very good and is basically the same design as the Honwave 380 airfloor. As such it has the same inflatable tabs on the transom. I appreciate your thoughts on them as I too wouldn’t like them. To difficult to carry my auxiliary engine on.

It did spring a leak and the owner found the leak after mentioning his airfloor was going floppy. The boat belongs to another member of this forum.. ..as is the owner of the Honwave in my first photo..so perhaps they will tell you their experience with their boats. I think air floors can be patched so don’t think you need a new one if it gets a leak. I have never had an airfloor so am not the person to offer sound advice on that matter.

I have seen some Mercury ..Zodiac .. and Seapro airfloor SIBS that don’t have the trim tabs ..so perhaps others can post on those boats as Im only aware of them..but no experience of them.

Hope that helps you some Amudinako. I do respect many members experience on SIBs who post in this forum ..including Max's views ..but I wont always agree with them... and I have no problem saying why.
__________________

__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 04:08   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 209
The prowave in question (and in the picture, the red and black boat in The Gurnard's post) is mine.
I've been very happy with it.
I've not seen the floppy floor problem in mine either.
The honwave floor does seem to be quite a bit thicker than mine but neither had any problem at all and as you can see from the photo, the sea was anything but smooth!
__________________

__________________
blootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 04:58   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,275
Gurnard your experience and input to this forum is widely respected and I'm very much in agreement with ignoring the one-make hype often seen from owners if it's not backed up by proper comparison. But I'd just say keep an open mind that the Aerotec may indeed... even if only by a whisker over other V-shape air floors... have the best ability of any SIB to keep going with reasonable comfort in difficult conditions.

After owning a large variety of wood/alloy/flat air floor SIBs over many years in order to decide 100% if the Aerotec was the SIB for our current needs we went one step further than asking an existing owner face to face... we bought an old cheap one to trial for two weeks holiday based at Tayvallich before deciding to invest in a new/newer one for the longer term.

This test was alongside our 340 Acti-V air floor Zodiac... both were setup ready to use for the duration and often used on the same stretch of water immediately one after the other with the same outboard and loading.

The simple fact was that the Aerotec was able to keep up a cruising speed on the plane into challenging sea conditions with a degree of ease, comfort and stability way above the flat air floor design of the Zodiac where you had to hold on like a rodeo cowboy, the dog was in danger of being bounced out and our near 60yr old joints were feeling the stress.

In our home sibbing area this has been a problem this year in that the sea state has often been sufficient to stop us going round to other harbours/beaches because we can't stand the constant crashing of the flat floors and at displacement speeds which we were dropping down to you tend to ship water/spray and trip times are lengthened enough to mess up range within time tides. The Aerotec ability we've experienced in Scotland should overcome this and greatly increase the pleasure of our outings.

But I will end reinforcing what I think is the thrust of your argument... as long as your SIB (or any other boat) suits your needs and that of the conditions the most important and rewarding thing is just getting out on the water... regardless of what the name on the side says.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 340 Acti-V.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	108483   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bombard Aertotec.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	108484  
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 05:11   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
as long as your SIB (or any other boat) suits your needs and that of the conditions the most important and rewarding thing is just getting out on the water... regardless of what the name on the side says.
Totally agree with that.

Depends how big your wallet is too.
Obviously the more you spend the potentially better result.

At £2,200 the aerotec 380 is considerably more expensive than the honwave T38-IE2, in fact more than TWICE the price, at only £1,049 (just the first two links I found selling them so prices could vary a lot.)

I'm by no means saying either is a bad boat or a good boat.
Decide you're budget, try and experience what you can get for your money, buy something and enjoy the water.
__________________
blootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 06:54   #15
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Hi Amunikado, what is the reason to change from the Suzumar? I remember your original topic and commenting on the good job you did, I had a Suzumar once and they are great SIBs - very practical wide open bow and a good solid transom and handy tube fittings.

If you do swap to an air floor and store it in the flat is it practical to lift it and the engine every time? If you have somewhere to store the trailer/boat/engine all ready to go then that advantage outweighs a fair bit the hassle of deflation/inflation/assembly/carrying/storage even if you need to travel to collect it?
The Suzumar has been as nice project but it was just my way of getting into sibs with little money. The boat + trailer cost me 400€ and I'll probably get more than that when I sell it. Now that I have seen how it fits into my life, I just want something that I feel I can use more often.
I have been storing the boat ready to go in my parents' house, 100 km away from mine (that's 60 miles for you folks ). I am working weekends with days offs during the week so in my current life I can only sib during the holidays...

Well, that and upgratitis.

Right now I am just storming ideas to see how viable the air decks are. I never liked the "open space" under the wood floor because of the octopus incident and because I feel that there is always some water there that is slowing down the boat, so the V deck is really appealing to me. I just have to find the right one.

The Aerotec looks awesome and if I am getting something I really want, I don't mind the price. Problem is that I have never seen one here... I'll have to study my options with that boat because that looks like the perfect vessel for me.

Sibs are not that popular in Portugal. I have had the chance to talk to other sib owners but it is rare to find them. This whole summer I only met one guy with a proper sib (he had a Mercury Adventure 360)! The rest are just tenders... People here just go for ribs.
__________________
Amukinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 06:57   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
....because of the octopus incident...
Tell us more...?!?
__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 07:20   #17
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Tell us more...?!?
I already did!

Never leave an octopus inside a sib
__________________
Amukinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 07:42   #18
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
Right now I am just storming ideas to see how viable the air decks are. I never liked the "open space" under the wood floor because of the octopus incident and because I feel that there is always some water there that is slowing down the boat, so the V deck is really appealing to me. I just have to find the right one.
.
Aerotec will have the same problem as there is a gap under the floor open stern and bow with would make a great hiding place for octopus!

I do like the look of the Hondawave and it will not have the problem and a lot cheaper

Anther point do you not have Zodiac dealers in Portchagal as surely they could order you a Aerotec in as it is all the same company?
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 07:54   #19
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Aerotec will have the same problem as there is a gap under the floor open stern and bow with would make a great hiding place for octopus!

I do like the look of the Hondawave and it will not have the problem and a lot cheaper

Anther point do you not have Zodiac dealers in Portchagal as surely they could order you a Aerotec in as it is all the same company?
The problem with the honwave is installing some decent wheels that roll on soft sand and come off when I deflate the boat.

I'll see if I can find a Zodiac dealer nearby and ask them about the Aerotec.
__________________
Amukinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2015, 08:13   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 209
There are wheels for the honwaves that do what you ask.
Wheels down
Wheels up
Transom Mounting plate
__________________

__________________
blootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.