Old 24 June 2016, 01:14   #11
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
That's good re the seams... just keep an eye on them as you use the boat over the years but don't worry overmuch about them.

I asume there is no speed limit on the lakes/rivers you use? If so I would only consider a 15 or 20 and then only a 15 if you are mostly one or two up. If you are three up and/or carry a fair bit of kit I'd get the 20 for certain.

Yep I guess you would be best with the 20hp as it falls in the weight limit... 115lbs gives you a good margin. As a matter of interest I've just bought a new motor... a 20hp Suzuki as they are the lightest in class at 97lbs. As we often do a daily setup a light outboard is important.

Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 07:18   #12
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 100hp
If you're stuck on a 2015+ Mercury, I'd go with the 20hp or the 9.9hp.

For the size of boat, 9.9hp will get it on plane with a solo operator, but as you add loading, you will quickly taper off that ability.

The 20hp would probably be the best recommendation.

Looks can be deceiving. The only way to be sure is a pull test.

Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 18:57   #13
Length: 3m +
Just thought I'd follow up: We went with the 20HP Mercury with electric start. It weighs about 120lbs, so well within weight restrictions.

Huge thanks for all the help!
freddysean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2016, 02:04   #14
Town: GTA
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac Futura MkIII
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
I had a Classic Mk IIC. The C stands for Compact. Its a Mk II but a little bit shorter.
I would advise you to not over power, or overweight the transom. At this age the attaching glue is weakened, and over stressing it will cause it to fail. Treat your boat nicely.
I had a 20 HP 2 stroke Evinrude on mine. That was adequate. I modified the engine to make 25 HP. That was much better. I would say a 25 2 stroke is optimal for that boat. Lucky for you, everyone these days wants 4 strokes and high technology. Get an old 2 stroke. Simple, cheap, light weight, proven, and reliable.
I wish I still had my 25 Evinrude. Pull start (no heavy battery) light weight, and totally reliable.

Feel free to ask me more.

Happy boating!

Northern Pike is offline   Reply With Quote