Old 09 January 2012, 02:40   #1

Town: San Diego
Boat name: -
Make: -
Length: no boat
Engine: -
Help Deciding on a SIB!

Hi, I was just trying to decide what to replace my Achilles LT2 with. I have narrowed my choices down to either one of the zodiac or Achilles models as they have a good reputation and are readily available in the US. I was looking for between a 2.3m and 2.8m sib. The main things I am looking for are durability, many rigging options (the boats main use will be fishing), and speed as well as being able to easily get on a plane. I have a tight budget of under $1300. This boat will be stored packed up in its bag in my garage. Can you guys please help me out with my options?

Thanks - Bryce
Old 09 January 2012, 05:19   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
2.3m is tiny, what sort of fishing are you planning on doing?
Old 09 January 2012, 06:32   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Watch the local dive boards; smallish inflatables come up on them quite often, many times at a steal (divers tend to run out of room/load capacity pretty quickly.)

If you have a magazine called Latitude 38 in chandleries near you, yachties often get rid of tenders which should suit.

I agree with Chewy, though; you're looking a really small boat, unless you are staying on calm lakes and insede protected bays. I'd think a 12' to 14' or better boat would suit you better if you're looking to go offshore in San Diego.

Luck;

jky
Old 09 January 2012, 07:21   #4

I will just be using it in lakes and bays and maybe just outside the mouth of the bay. I have very little space and money for a larger sib as I am only 14yo. I'm. Mostly looking for I fun boat I can take out by myself on the weekends. My family has a 20ft boat for longer trips
Old 09 January 2012, 08:10   #5

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I did a lot of research/looking at boats when buying a SIB and ended up with a Zodiac 285s.
I was going to go for the 260 but there seemed no disadvantage in getting the 285.

It's a 2.8m with wood floor.

It's a superb boat, well made and will plane easily if required using our 6hp engine, achieving 14-15mph with two adults on board.
With one person it will plane with a Mariner 3.5hp, managing about 12mph on the GPS.
Being a solid floor it feels more secure to stand up/move about in. The tubes are large and easy to sit on if needed, to operate the engine.
It also has an inflatable keel so handles well at speed and I assume it helps it to plane easily.
The floor only takes a couple of minutes to put in.

In the UK these cost about £900 so it should be within your budget, as things are generally cheaper un the USA.
Old 09 January 2012, 20:51   #6

Boat name: Stormbringer
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
boodleboy, there are a couple of samller sib on San Diego Craigslist right now.
Zodiac West Marine 8 Footer
Now is the best time to buy cause no one in there right mind is diving until March.
The size you are lookin at is perfect for one guy to move around and set up.
I went with a FC470 and it is a bear getting it out on my own.
Good luck and welcome to the board! we need more SoCal members!
Old 09 January 2012, 21:42   #7

I have been scouring craigslist for a while and haven't found a suitable boat yet. What are some of the benefits of either an achilles or zodiac. I've been thinking of either the achilles lex 77 or 88, or the zodiac cadet 260 solid. Would the achilles being csm/hypalon be that much of a benefit for my uses? and what other models of each brand would you all recommend?
Old 10 January 2012, 16:45   #8

Boat name: Stormbringer
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Sib

In my opinion, Hypalon is always better for a sib. it will be a little heavier but will last alot longer, especially in salt water and UV light. As for which brand, just pick one that is common in your area and has good support/part available. obviously the bigger companys like zodiac, avon, achilles are preferred.
good luck
Old 10 January 2012, 19:23   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by engarom View Post
Now is the best time to buy cause no one in there right mind is diving until March.
Huh? Why not?

You SoCal guys have all the heat from the state through the winter (not to mention the majority of the bugs.) We're still diving in Monterey, despite the cooler temps (can't complain too much when a lot of the guys on here are snowed in.)

But, yes, winter is generally when you find better deals on boats...

jky
Old 10 January 2012, 19:52   #10

What size engine do you have, or plan to use?
Old 10 January 2012, 21:25   #11

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Have to agree with "lightning"......285 Zody is a gem.
Solid, stable, ready to plane and easy to assemble. Also just the right side of "real boat" to manhandle fully inflated and rigged by one.
It's a proper little workhorse and the Hypalon tubes take a lot of wear.
Having the ply floor means you can fit strap eyes for fuel tanks etc., also Zodiac have a good range of time-tested accessories that when fitted look right, seat bags, bow bags and launch wheels to name a few. Though the wheels are heavy duty and be sure to use marine grease in the mounting threads.
It's a beautifully balanced dual purpose piece of kit. Dump your fishing gear and the little thing readily takes to the air over swells on the plane.
I'd have to say that for a tiller controlled SIB it can punch well above it's weight and will definitely raise your levels of expectation should the time come to upgrade.
We take ours with us even when the RIB is in tow.
Proper piece of kit.
Old 11 January 2012, 00:21   #12

I currently have a 2hp 2 stroke but will be upgrading to something around 4hp or 6hp.
Old 11 January 2012, 04:24   #13

Town: oregon
Make: zodiac
Engine: M40C
Quote:
Originally Posted by engarom View Post
In my opinion, Hypalon is always better for a sib. it will be a little heavier but will last alot longer, especially in salt water and UV light. As for which brand, just pick one that is common in your area and has good support/part available. obviously the bigger companys like zodiac, avon, achilles are preferred.
good luck
Boodle, don't let people tell you hypalon is the only way to go. The pvc boats are fine and will last you many, many years. My bombard C3 is a 1989 model, been used plenty in salt water and exposed plenty to UV light over the last 23 years and is still in great shape. A good quality pvc boat will serve you well and cost substantially less money. I've owned hypalon (achilles and dynous) and like my pvc boat just as much.

Bottom line, buy the best you can afford, don't go cheap just to spend less money. It's best to be patient and get a decent boat rather than to just buy one because "i need one now". I commend you on seeking counsel from others instead of just jumping in and making an uninformed purchase.
Old 11 January 2012, 05:23   #14

I don't think Zodiac sells hypalon versions of their tenders here in the US unfortunately, that's why I was interested in the Achilles boats. Have any of you had any experience with any of the Achilles boats that are comparable to the Zodiac? And are air floor boats advantages with speed, portability, and grip on the water worth the rigidity, lower price, and versatility of a boat with a wood floor and inflatable keel?
Old 11 January 2012, 07:22   #15

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Craiglist is the place to keep an eye on. Why not a West Marine version? They are very common on the resale market here in NorCal.
Old 12 January 2012, 20:19   #16

The Zodiac (and any other SIB's I imagine) won't plane with the 2hp engine, but with a 4hp it will plane with one person, go for the 6hp and you will get 15mph with two adults on board.