Old 27 June 2013, 20:08   #1

Length: 7m +
Happy SIB users?

Sorry for the strange title, its the best I could come up with,

Looks like I will finally get to buy a boat unfortunately it looks like I will not be getting the Redbay cabin rib I had hoped for.

I think I am going to be limited to a SIB that I can put in the back of my Toyota Surf and pack away again when the day is done so to speak.

My question is, are there any Sibers who quite happily do this on a regular basis or do you all mostly get fed up and get a trailer?

Not really got room on the driveway for a small rib and trailer so a bit limited really.
Also as the engine weight will be a limiting factor, what size outboard is likely to be the best option.?
Looks like anything over a Mercury or equivelant 9.9 fourstroke will be too heavy to lift on my own.

Any ideas?
Old 27 June 2013, 20:15   #2

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
Sorry for the strange title, its the best I could come up with,

Looks like I will finally get to buy a boat unfortunately it looks like I will not be getting the Redbay cabin rib I had hoped for.

I think I am going to be limited to a SIB that I can put in the back of my Toyota Surf and pack away again when the day is done so to speak.

My question is, are there any Sibers who quite happily do this on a regular basis or do you all mostly get fed up and get a trailer?

Not really got room on the driveway for a small rib and trailer so a bit limited really.
Also as the engine weight will be a limiting factor, what size outboard is likely to be the best option.?
Looks like anything over a Mercury or equivelant 9.9 fourstroke will be too heavy to lift on my own.

Any ideas?
It depends on the sib, as some are very easy like the Bombard 380 so you should never need a trailer if it fits in your car boot

Some others don't pack down so well and can be quite heavy too
Old 27 June 2013, 21:12   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hate trailers, hate inflating/deflating/packing away etc, get an air floor SIB, a 9.8 2 stroke and whack it on the roof. Stays inflated and ready to go in the garage all summer and packed away in the winter.

Pics here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-on-car-roof-42774.html
Old 27 June 2013, 21:16   #4

I was thinking maybe a Bombard Xpro C3 Commando or similar, they look well built and should be a safe reliable bet.
I did look at the Seasearch sibs at the boat show a few years back, they looked very good.
I would ideally like an alluminium floor, I know it will be a longer job putting it together but I like the idea of the hard floor.
Probably nice to get as big as possible 3.8mt as a minimum possibly 4.2mt.

Willing to spend as much as nessesary to get the best boat in the class I am restricted too.
Old 27 June 2013, 21:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Hate trailers, hate inflating/deflating/packing away etc, get an air floor SIB, a 9.8 2 stroke and whack it on the roof. Stays inflated and ready to go in the garage all summer and packed away in the winter.

Pics here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-on-car-roof-42774.html
Trying to get away from putting stuff on the roof, not easy on your own as I found with the kayaks. Dodgy back doesn't help.

Looks good on your Land rover though
Nice beach too, where is that?
Old 27 June 2013, 21:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
I would ideally like an alluminium floor, I know it will be a longer job putting it together but I like the idea of the hard floor.
Probably nice to get as big as possible 3.8mt as a minimum possibly 4.2mt.
You *really* won't be wanting to be rigging/de-rigging something like that out of your boot every time you go out, it will need a big lump on the back too. Seriously, anything bigger than 3.5m w/15 2 stroke needs a trailer.
Old 27 June 2013, 21:31   #7

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Nothing wrong with a kitted out Zodiac with wood floor, air keel, and some good fuel. We have a 285 Zody with an 8 Mariner 2stroke. My 14 yr old and 9 yr old son and myself at 85 k's so 170 all in plus 30 litres of fuel have the SIB planing in a squirt and she'll keep going. Proper tool. Keep the tubes tights and we fly for hours. Proper piece of kit.
Keep the boat AND engine in the boot of the XJ. Use that to launch the SR on occasion too.
Old 27 June 2013, 21:37   #8

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
You *really* won't be wanting to be rigging/de-rigging something like that out of your boot every time you go out, it will need a big lump on the back too. Seriously, anything bigger than 3.5m w/15 2 stroke needs a trailer.
Yep, it also takes up a huge amount of space in the car. Zodiac 3.8, Yamaha 25 and fuel tank only just fits in the boot of a Range Rover.

Air floor 3.8 is the biggest I would go without a trailer. Invest in the best used 2 stroke you can find, much simpler and lighter than a 4 stroke with no storage issues.

Or go for the kind of boats you are looking at and get a trailer, you also need at least 15hp or 25hp to make them interesting.
Old 27 June 2013, 21:43   #9

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Bombard aerotec 380/15hp best SIB package all day longs
Old 27 June 2013, 21:47   #10
RIBnet Supporter

I think if I was in your shoes (and I very nearly am) I'd look at an airdeck around 3.2-3.4m. Anything with a hard deck is going to be a PITA to break down and set up. I'd look for something with the biggest tubes possible. At that size, a 10hp will drive you on quite well and be easy to lift. Anything bigger is just getting into trailer territory, IMO. You need to pick your days well in a boat this small, but they can be very rewarding as you're really down in the weeds.

You'll want a bigger boat - but a cabin RIB needs a big driveway
Old 27 June 2013, 21:50   #11

Iv got a tohatsu 3.8 sport sib and at the moment its got a tohatsu 18 ts engine....putting the boat together is easy and fast.its wood floor and alloy rails..the rails and floor are a pleasure to assemble..I'll end up put wheels on the transom soon
Old 27 June 2013, 21:55   #12

Check out my ad...'launching wheel set' in the classifieds under 'bits and pieces'.
Old 27 June 2013, 21:57   #13

Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20
Quote:
Errr, not sure about that one mate! My 4.2m Tohatsu wood deck SIB with 20 hp engine has never been anywhere near a trailer. It fits comfortably in the back of our Vauxhall Astra with fuel, kit, a large cool box, and there would be room for a weekend's worth of camping gear as well. I just don't see the point of trailering a SIB. Why not get a RIB then? The only time my SIB didn't come home in the back of the Astra was when we put it on top of my dad's car- attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6624.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	82069  
Old 27 June 2013, 22:01   #14

Seriously check out the 'launching wheel set' ad in classifieds, bits and pieces
Old 27 June 2013, 22:04   #15

That Astra looks like a Volvo
Old 27 June 2013, 22:05   #16

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Read the post
Old 27 June 2013, 22:27   #17

Make: Honwave t38
Engine: mariner 25 hp
I have a honwave 3.8m, a 25 hp two stroke, fold away launching trolley, fold away engine trolley, 25l fuel tank, 3 life jackets, rod, fishing box, 2 seats, oars, bravo pump, waders etc. it all fits in the back of my audi a3.
It takes around 7 minutes to load up, I can have the boat blown up and in the water within 15 minutes and the best bit is I can launch anywhere and drive at 70+ ...
It can be a bit of a pain but if you think positively then it is just a bit of free exercise, saying that I would like something that could go faster, but hey-ho, you can't have it all

Without the launching trolley it would be a no go though, very important piece of kit...
Old 27 June 2013, 22:34   #18

Make: Honwave t38
Engine: mariner 25 hp
P.S. the honwave is around 45 kg, engine 51 kg, both quite heavy. My previous sib had a metal floor, that was around 30 kg plus another 30 kg for the floor, it was a major pain to build and dismantle at times, on a few occasions I was still there 45 minutes later trying to put together or dismantle. I had a 15 hp which weighed around 34 KG
Previous to that I had a small 2.7m 20 odd KG and 4 hp Yam 19 ish KG, very easy to fit in the car and get out in the water, just not much fun...
Old 27 June 2013, 22:46   #19

How do you get a 45kg boat and 51kg engine up and down a shingle beach (trolley or no trolley) singlehanded?! And all the gear up and down too, all that out of the boot down the beach, blown up, floor in, engine on in 15 mins!

Impressive stuff!

Old 28 June 2013, 18:08   #20

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrie Thames View Post

Errr, not sure about that one mate! My 4.2m Tohatsu wood deck SIB with 20 hp engine has never been anywhere near a trailer. It fits comfortably in the back of our Vauxhall Astra with fuel, kit, a large cool box, and there would be room for a weekend's worth of camping gear as well. I just don't see the point of trailering a SIB. Why not get a RIB then? The only time my SIB didn't come home in the back of the Astra was when we put it on top of my dad's car- attached.
Due to budget constraints james bond had to wind his neck in lol