Old 24 December 2011, 12:44   #1

Town: Kinross
Boat name: Spindrift
Make: Zodiac Futura FR Mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20hp two stroke Yam
Handheld GPS

Merry xmas fellow "blow ups"

Can anyone give advise on the quality of handheld GPS units that can take maps/charts. I'm not interested in a fitted unit, but I'm wondering if the newer hand held units with mapping ability are any good.

Comments and recommendations will be welcome.
Old 24 December 2011, 13:23   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac Spindrift View Post
Merry xmas fellow "blow ups"

Can anyone give advise on the quality of handheld GPS units that can take maps/charts. I'm not interested in a fitted unit, but I'm wondering if the newer hand held units with mapping ability are any good.

Comments and recommendations will be welcome.
I've got a Garmin Montana 650 which can display Garmin Bluecharts, GB os maps & anything else you can chuck at it. Not cheap but a nice bit of kit with a 4" touch screen.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2011, 00:49   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Personally, I don't think there's a huge difference between HH and fixed units aside from size, and the controls you can fit (due to the former.) I've opened up my old Lowrance fixed unit; it was mostly air inside. I would expect accuracy and such to be about the same between the two types.

jky
Old 25 December 2011, 07:47   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I have Garmin C60x I bought when I was cat sailing, brilliant unit, has proper buttons and NMEA connector.
Old 25 December 2011, 16:56   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Do you already have a depth finder? That is the big reason to get a fixed mount. We use handhelds for lot of different hobbies and sports. They work excellent! Here in the USA we have some that already have the marine maps loaded in them made by Garmin. Not sure what is available in your country though.
Old 26 December 2011, 16:48   #6

Hi Peter, I don't have any fixed electronics in my Zodiac. This is to keep weight down, leave plenty of space and to spare me from carrying "substantial" batteries on board.

I'd prefer to use handheld kit than can be easily stowed and carried on the Zodiac, and I accept that you'll never get the quality of the type of fixed kit I have on the yacht. So hopefully from the experience on here I may get a heads up as to what is good or not so good before I start begging my wife for some pocket money .

Merry Xmas and Happy Hogmany.
Old 26 December 2011, 19:29   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Having owned boats with and without depth finders, and boating in murky water, I now have a strong appreciation for a depth finder. Your area may not require one if you can easily see the bottom or do not have rocky shallows to kill props on.

If you ever do want to add a battery I am sure it is much like here in the USA where we are required to use an approved battery box. I use one similar to the one below with an AGM sealed battery. I have a C-tek battery charger for home use, but I also installed a regulator/rectifier for charging while running.
NOCO Group U1 Battery Box: BatteryMart.com

Garmin handhelds work pretty well.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161
Old 27 December 2011, 01:38   #8

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
A Garmin is very hard to beat. We use them and are very happy with the accuracy. I run the boat at night using the handheld unit.
Old 27 December 2011, 07:33   #9

Town: Alton
Boat name: Douggie
Engine: 40 mariner
I use a garmin colorado 300, I have different maps loaded on to SD cards so it also comes in handy for cycling, walking and off roading. Only down side is that it gets through batterys but they are AA so spares are easy to carry and find.
Old 27 December 2011, 08:11   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I have a Garmin Etrex Venture Cx handheld and it is excellent. I've been smallcraft boating again for the past few years after a 15yr gap and it's the thing that's impresed me most in the advance of tech devices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex...4977164&sr=8-1

Mine is small but has a colour screen and full Bluechart mapping. To see detail mapping on something that fits in your pocket never ceases to amaze.

It's also useful when arriving home to upload all track data for display on the PC.

My Etrex is waterproof (but not floating) and has been completely reliable despite several years of bumping and splashing about on holiday around Scotland.

It takes ordinary AA batteries and a pair will last a long day out with lots of looking at the screen (screen times out after a selectable period). I'd far rather this battery arrangement as a couple of spare batteries are easily stored in the pocket. I had looked at upgrading to a similar unit with larger screen but that had a fixed internal rechargeable battery which would have rendered the unit useless once it went flat out on the water.
Old 27 December 2011, 10:02   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
No issueswith handheld accuracy (unless you buy a really old one that doesn't do WAAS / EGNOS).

Bit of sticky velcro on the back of the unit & job done!
Old 27 December 2011, 14:55   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
It takes ordinary AA batteries and a pair will last a long day out with lots of looking at the screen (screen times out after a selectable period). I'd far rather this battery arrangement as a couple of spare batteries are easily stored in the pocket. I had looked at upgrading to a similar unit with larger screen but that had a fixed internal rechargeable battery which would have rendered the unit useless once it went flat out on the water.
The Montana has a rechargeable Lion battery which gives about 15hr heavy use. If that goes flat, you can remove it & use ordinary AA batteries (x3) The screen is spot on & displays Bluecharts in all their glory
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2011, 16:38   #13

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I have an older Garmin 76 CS which is a waterproof, floating, handheld GPS which I had bought use for less than 1/2 the new price. It's features are pretty much the same as the 60 series. I have also used the 60 series which has a far more ergonomic design. The 60 series is also waterproof, but doesn't float, so if you go with it be sure to tether it when boating . If I were to choose between the 2 if at the same price, I would go with the 60 series, because the ergonomic advantage is that significant.

The handheld units work well for their intended primary purpose which is non-motorized travel. With the faster speeds of motorized travel, there definitely is a huge advantage to the larger screens of the fixed units which allow you to see a bigger area of the map while at a given magnification.
Old 27 December 2011, 20:19   #14

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I carry a Garmin Venturer, in a mobile phone holder clipped to the hand rail. Works a treat but only very basic maps.

Any of this range will work fine though. Big advantage is they are small, lightweight and run all day on 2 rechargeable AAs. LImite don maps but soem versions are better.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2011, 07:29   #15

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I'll second Prarie Tuber with the screen size comment.

I was using a Garmin 12 for a while. I generated big waypoint files that mean I can "join the dots" and not hit anything land shaped. It means I can put it in "road mode" and get an "at a glance" view of how far off course I am. Useless for anythng else, but does the job.
Old 28 December 2011, 11:08   #16

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
I was using a Garmin 12 for a while. I generated big waypoint files that mean I can "join the dots" and not hit anything land shaped. It means I can put it in "road mode" and get an "at a glance" view of how far off course I am. Useless for anythng else, but does the job.
I've still got one of these; they're not bad for what they are.
Old 31 December 2011, 19:15   #17

Thanks for your comments folks.

Best wishes and happy boating for 2012, and Happy Hogmany!