Old 02 January 2016, 21:03   #1

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: dt85
Grand Raid MK2

Hey guys very new to this forum. But I am going to go and look at an older
Grand Raid MK2 that is in usable condition. It seems to be to be a pretty good deal. I live in ireland and where I am buying it from pretty much never sees the sun and never gets very hot at all.

My problem is there is another Zodiac with a trailer its a 4M one but has a small transom leak it looks to be a 1998 model its got some yellow 90s stripe and coloring on the side of it so I really think it was just a leisure model.

My question is, is the Grand raid a better boat in the long run because it was not made for the weekends but is possibly more of a work boat?

from talking to the guy the Grand Raid has been used a good bit but its still in working and usable order.

The other boat seems in good condition but I would be afraid of it coming loose at the transom.

here is the link to the late 90s boat.

https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/boat/11005775

This one I can get for 600 with out the console or engine both which i dont want.

the grand raid I can get for about 500 with out a trailer but I think I might be able to get a small seagull engine with it and a few 15hp engines that need work. (I work on motors quite a bit.)

(I also have for sale a MkII Grand Raid Zodiac 4.2 metres, with inflatable keel and aluminium floor, Can be dismantled and carried in the back of a car. Price of Zodiac: €550 ono. See these YouTube videos for model: New link 29/12/2015 )

He says its the same as the second video. What do you guys think?

Both the guys seem pretty legit and honest I have talked to the Grand raid guy for about 2 hours on the phone so seems pretty open. anyway I dont mind doing repairs but I dont wanna buy junk. That being said I would rather repair old good stuff then buy newer junk.
Old 02 January 2016, 23:15   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

The Zodiac Grand Raid is by far the better boat and will be hypalon material. If it's a MKII it'll be rated for 50hp from memory. It should also have stainless steel inter-communicating valves so you can inflate from one valve. Useful thread here: http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/zodiac-...mk3-35097.html

The other boat looks like a leisure Futura Sport (PVC). Trouble with Zodiacs from this period (mid 80s) is that the seams were on top under the lace cuff and eventually go. Later models moved the seam below the waterline.

Both PVC and hypalon boats can suffer leaks at inflatable keel and cone ends. Again, repairable with right preparation.
Old 02 January 2016, 23:20   #3

Thanks so much!!

Thats Kind of what I figured when looking into the research.
does 500 seem like a good deal for a 80s grand raid thats a bit beat up but
usable. Its a three hour drive to go see it. Have not seen pictures of it because the guy Is an older gentleman and cant figure out how to take pictures on his phone. Its a bit of a risk but just turning it into a small road trip for me and the wife.
Old 02 January 2016, 23:23   #4

Also read that whole thread you posted but the one I was looking at least 10 years older than that. Did they continue to make all the grand raids out of hypalon the whole time?
Old 03 January 2016, 00:46   #5

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Yes Grand raids are all hypalon.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2016, 01:52   #6

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
Thanks so much!!

Thats Kind of what I figured when looking into the research.
does 500 seem like a good deal for a 80s grand raid thats a bit beat up but
usable. Its a three hour drive to go see it. Have not seen pictures of it because the guy Is an older gentleman and cant figure out how to take pictures on his phone. Its a bit of a risk but just turning it into a small road trip for me and the wife.
Check the baffles
Check the floor to ensure it isn't stretched out (assemble the floor and measure it. It should be about 25mm longer than the inside of the boat)

I'd rock it at that price
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2016, 11:05   #7

RIBase
Get some pictures posted if you do the deal. You mention the material on the GR MKII is loose at the transom. Again, it can be repaired with the right preparation, glue and working area, given the time of year.

You really want to run this boat with a 25hp minimum. Smaller engines, then you're a trolling speed, which is a shame given its a very capable boat.

Even if you get a few years out of it, then the aluminium floor and stringers are highly desirable (HD) so you can sell on.
Old 03 January 2016, 19:43   #8

Well could not get down there today will have to go next weekend. Good thing is the guy is literally in the middle of no where on the end of a peninsula. Not gonna sell it with out telling me.

Seems like he kept the boat assembled for most the time is this bad? Thats why should check the boat stretching. Any years I should watch out for ?
Old 03 January 2016, 19:45   #9

Also I am gonna start with a 15 hp cause I can get one off him for very cheap. Think this is a bad start?
Old 03 January 2016, 20:40   #10

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Not optimal for most but I run a 1997 MK 2 Grand Raid at my firehouse with a 9.9 hp for ponds, small rivers, and shallow areas of our local large waterway. It does plane with one operator on board sometimes two of our smaller guys. We are currently looking to upgrade and have chosen to move up to a 25hp.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2016, 21:42   #11

Ok to throw another wrench in the works I just talked to a guy that has a 5 meter chinook sib for sale. 300 with a trailer. These things worth it at all? I know the company no longer is around but I thought I remembered good things about them. Tubes seem a bit weathered and I guess the floor was just replaced last year. One small leak that he thinks is the valve.

I like the idea of having a trailer and also that it's a bit cheaper. Any idea on how these hold up?
Old 03 January 2016, 22:04   #12

RIBase
Quote:
I like the idea of having a trailer and also that it's a bit cheaper. Any idea on how these hold up?
You get what you pay for. €300 with the trailer! Stick withe the GR. Regards having it inflated, that's actually better. As hopefully you won't have storage creases on the hypalon. Hopefully it's been stored in a mice free barn!
Old 04 January 2016, 10:42   #13

Ok so he just told me that he fixed the transom by sandwiching it with ply. I am guessing this is not the best thing in the world and that pretty soon it will need to be completely replaced. I live on a very dangerous extremely tidal river can be perfectly calm or very fast flowing can't have something fall apart on me. Have you guys had experience replacing these?
Old 04 January 2016, 10:43   #14

Talking about the grand raid just so ya know.
Old 04 January 2016, 11:35   #15

Quote:
Ok so he just told me that he fixed the transom by sandwiching it with ply. I am guessing this is not the best thing in the world and that pretty soon it will need to be completely replaced. I live on a very dangerous extremely tidal river can be perfectly calm or very fast flowing can't have something fall apart on me. Have you guys had experience replacing these?
I would not purchase a boat with questionable transom repairs.
Old 05 January 2016, 13:31   #16

Chinook

Hey so I know the Zodiac is a better choice if in good condition but this chinook who used to make pretty high quality hypalon boats seems like a decent deal for the price. It seems to have a pretty good transom where as the zodiacs was already toast. Zodiac was out on a mooring for a long time. Anyway condition wise what do you think of the look of this? Seems older and used but in serviceable condition. I don't mind treating the tubes and patching here and there just don't wanna redo the whole transom. It's 300 compared to 500z

Old 05 January 2016, 13:35   #17

Hosting did not work check out the photos here.

My google +

https://plus.google.com/photos/11234...COmR1JDmpc2vbA
Old 05 January 2016, 14:34   #18

Quote:
Hosting did not work check out the photos here.

My google +

https://plus.google.com/photos/11234...COmR1JDmpc2vbA
That boat is very worn. I would clean the topside in a few spots to inspect the material to see 1.) if it cleans up and 2.) look for UV degradation. If the material is rough and scaly like a fish/alligator/snake, then the material is starting to break down...the boat would be junk.

If you buy it, no matter what, it needs about 5-10 hours of work with cleaning / gluing to make it look seaworthy it seems. Inspect the lower part of the transom for softness too, especially around corners, screws, and drains.
Old 05 January 2016, 15:06   #19

There is little to no sun in the country. One year outside is probably equivalent to a year or two in California or Florida. Ya just can't get sunburnt even if ya tried. So little uv damage. Thanks for the advice. I don't mind the work at all!! It's therapeutic for me..
Old 05 January 2016, 15:17   #20

Quote:
There is little to no sun in the country. One year outside is probably equivalent to a year or two in California or Florida. Ya just can't get sunburnt even if ya tried. So little uv damage. Thanks for the advice. I don't mind the work at all!! It's therapeutic for me..
I used to live in Michigan which sees the same solar exposure as Ireland in terms of UV radiation.

I saw plenty of junk boats that were degraded completely after 10-15 years of outside storage / usage.